• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: NHK's All Final Fantasy Poll Crowns Final Fantasy X as Best Game

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tomdean

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2020 5:14 pm Reply with quote
meiam wrote:
Glad 13 is pretty low, can't believe they spend an entire console generation on one game and came out with that... .

Think it's all subjective, I personally enjoyed 13 a lot(Lightning Return was best of the 3 for me though.

8 for me was the best, even if Disc 4 was utter crap. It might have been during that period of my life the game saved my 'life' lol

Absolutely hated 15 , so clearly I am not FF's average customer....
Crispy45

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2020 6:59 pm Reply with quote
Shuichi wrote:
FFX being on top doesn’t surprise me. That game was always more popular in Japan, whereas FFVII is more popular in the west.

The poll was open to westerners and there were campaigns on Reddit and other social media to vote in them, so take them with a grain of salt in terms of representing Japanese tastes. I have never seen 9 rank in the Top 5 of anything in a Japanese poll, so I wonder how much influence there was. 10 is still extremely popular in the west though. Almost every female Final Fantasy fan I know lists 10 as their favorite.
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2020 7:03 pm Reply with quote
tomdean wrote:
meiam wrote:
Glad 13 is pretty low, can't believe they spend an entire console generation on one game and came out with that... .

Think it's all subjective, I personally enjoyed 13 a lot(Lightning Return was best of the 3 for me though.

8 for me was the best, even if Disc 4 was utter crap. It might have been during that period of my life the game saved my 'life' lol

Absolutely hated 15 , so clearly I am not FF's average customer....

I didn't care about the sequels as to me it felt right that XIII ended where it did, but I did actually enjoy the first XIII game. In fact, Sazh is my 3rd favorite FF character, #2 being Balthier from XII and #1 being Vivi from IX.

XV though, meh. It's not terrible, but the game was kind of a mess IMHO. Super Eyepatch Eyewolf did a great video talking about how he was also disappointed by the game and how the troubled and overly-long production did not do it any favors, so trust me you're not alone in disliking XV.
meiam

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2020 7:22 pm Reply with quote
FF15 nailed the road trip aspect, but nothing else landed. The story is farcical (not helped by the fact that most of it isn't in the game) and the combat is either a clusterfuck or a complete breeze because of how crappy the balance is. The pacing is complete bonkers, with the last 1/3 of the game being completely different from the rest of the game for no real reason.

If I didn't know any better, I'd say the game needed another 6-12 months of development to become something great, but considering it's history, I think it needed 5 year less.
Yttrbio
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2020 7:42 pm Reply with quote
meiam wrote:
FF15 nailed the road trip aspect, but nothing else landed. The story is farcical (not helped by the fact that most of it isn't in the game) and the combat is either a fudge or a complete breeze because of how crappy the balance is. The pacing is complete bonkers, with the last 1/3 of the game being completely different from the rest of the game for no real reason.
Of course, in a story about growing into responsibility and obligation, having the last 1/3 of the game be "not enjoyable" is totally thematically consistent. I don't know if that's what they were going for, but lots of people seem to think suffering through unfun entertainment is a good use of their time as long as it has something to say.
BlueAlf

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2020 7:45 pm Reply with quote
Wasn't X the last game that series creator Hironobu Sakaguchi worked on? I think I kinda understand why it was chosen as best. It certainly wasn't the most influential, and the western release had a lot of flaws. But I think for the Japanese audience, it had hit on all the right feels both gameplay and story-wise.
Lynx Raven Raide

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2020 8:57 pm Reply with quote
BlueAlf wrote:
Wasn't X the last game that series creator Hironobu Sakaguchi worked on? I think I kinda understand why it was chosen as best. It certainly wasn't the most influential, and the western release had a lot of flaws. But I think for the Japanese audience, it had hit on all the right feels both gameplay and story-wise.

Yeah it was, before he stepped down after Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within was released ahead of its time and flopped. What I have played of content after has always made me feel that was the turning point for the series and where it went downhill
Romuska
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2020 9:05 pm Reply with quote
X is more popular in Japan so I can see why it topped the list. Though my personal favorite is definitely IX.
KabaKabaFruit

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2020 9:33 pm Reply with quote
Final Fantasy VII may be the most popular Final Fantasy game in the west but that's because it was the first Final Fantasy game to go mainstream with a very strong promotional campaign back in '97 that helped normalize RPGs for consoles. Before VII, RPGs were relegated to the niche crowd. Otherwise, Final Fantasy VI would've easily had taken top spot.

Final Fantasy VI will always be the best Final Fantasy in my book as it was pure heartfelt storytelling from beginning to end with an amazing cast of characters and the best use of Mode 7 graphics that the Super Nintendo was able to muster. It didn't help matters that the game wasn't more heavily promoted like VII was. All we had for it were misleading ads showcasing Mog as an overpowered character.
Eivion

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2020 12:11 am Reply with quote
Surprised X ranked at 1. It would rank well with em, but probably not top 3. VI and VII are no 1 & 2 for me. They switch around depending on my mood. Kind of surprised VIII ranked so well. I thought it was one of the worst games in the main series.
Sailor Siren

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2020 12:36 am Reply with quote
I was hoping Top 3 would be "VII, VI, IX" (I voted for IX), but to see X on the first place was surprising a bit. Still, IX is high, hooray!
... but one of main characters, Amarant, didn't make it to the list. The list of 200 characters. Talking about unpopular, heh. (I voted for him, too)
Ozma from IX could be higher.
cloud8100

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2020 3:14 am Reply with quote
Kind of surprised to see X at the top. I knew it was popular but I thought 7 and 9 would be above it at least. Not as fussed about it but I thought 8 would do better too.

Nice to see Zidane rank high amongst the characters.
I actually quite enjoyed XV even though it could've been better.
Shiratori-san

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2020 5:28 am Reply with quote
For me the best FFs are in this order: 9, 8, 7, 6. I hated the 10. Imo, 10 marks the start of the degradation of FF. It amazes me how it can be at the top.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2020 7:52 am Reply with quote
X is funny, mostly because of how popular it was to make fun of the series. The reviews the old Spoony One put out shaped the view of that series for a while, that it was awful, Tidus sucked, etc.

Last edited by Beatdigga on Mon Mar 02, 2020 11:51 am; edited 1 time in total
LadyKuzunoha

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2020 11:37 am Reply with quote
^ Yeah, it surprises me a bit that it's still popular enough to get first place, though more due to 1) the people who jumped ship after X-2 became a thing and 2) how poorly received X-2.5 ~Eien no Daisho~ was received (for good reason, in my personal opinion) when it released alongside the HD remakes.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3