• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Keep Your Hands Off Eizouken!

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Milferd Jones

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2020 10:36 pm Reply with quote
Tanteikingdomkey wrote:
I know a lot of people probably don't notice/ wont care about this, but I want to put it out there. I was watching the show with other friends who are on the autism spectrum and we all started to pick up on some odd stuff about midori that we normally never see in characters. The first thing that really stuck out to me was this rabbit plushie in episode 6, but it has pun unintended sent me down an autistic rabbit hole.
continues.

Interesting how ones bias shades one's opinion. As someone with ADHD I had pegged Midori as ADHD mixed type or inattentive. I deeply understand the need to see your disorder represented and at first I diagnosed way to many characters with ADHD.

But my training as ADHD volunteer especially the parts on how careful one has to be in getting diagnosis bugged me and I realized we normally do not have enough information to make a diagnosis about a character in a fictional story.

This is a fictional character unless the author states a character has a mental illness it can be very dangerous to assume the character has any mental illness. Normally a author will draw from more than one person when writing and normally will not do the research necessary to get a character correct to any mental illness unless they are totally copying just one person who has a diagnosis. Thus a character can have symptoms of a disorder but not all needed to diagnose them and additionally the character can easily have symptoms of two different disorders that do not go together.

I was unaware any autistic would be constantly exploring new routes, burning off energy in creative ways, be so distractible to go off task and I could go on and on how many of her traits are sure ADHD.

Then she starts getting way better at communicating and Directing People showing her social shyness might just be a very normal state many have until they break though it. This brought me to the above point on we can't diagnose. Problems dealing with people and communicating are often not a disorder at all and go away with effort, or a disorder by it's self, and is shared by a truly huge numbers of disorders.

Autism and ADHD are misdiagnosed as each other even though they are very different at the core. My mother many times has asked if I have autism. I have 8 MD diagnosis and 5 counselor level diagnosis with ADHD. The beat down the world puts on people with ADHD can give them OCD's, comfort animal type stuff and other often autism traits in a attempt to control the ADHD.

But my work as ADHD volunteer has told me there are very many disorders that can share symptoms. Childhood abuse can mimic Autism or ADHD in many ways. There is brain damage of course. Which is why these conditions must be diagnosed by a professional over many sessions.

I strongly recommend not diagnosing people you encounter more than saying I think you might need to look for help as I see some of my traits in you but as different things share traits go see a pro not some regular DR and consider more than one opinion.

I know the creative arts draw a lot of People with ADHD, Autism, history of abuse, oh did not mention drug users as self medicating types, Depression often. Creativity rightly has been connected to madness forever.

And I would think it fine to bask in the fact that she does seam Autistic in some ways and how people a person with Autism could succeed.

I remember fairly recently with my wide general knowledge talking with a mother of a autistic child with a commonly shown in media Autism personality of how they were learning a specialty in a technical field often used in show biz. I said I am no expert but from my encounters with that world it would be a good choice because no one would care if they were greatly anti social or habit driven in many ways including a routine if they were really good at doing that technical field and could be flexible in when they did the work. The non conformist nature of show biz and the need to get the job done with very different personality types means if your good they can use you if your problems do not get in the way of doing it. I did question closely if her son could take very outgoing people making background noise and she said he could especially if he could wear a headset to tune them out when back at his work area.

And I love this show so much it hurts.
Kiskaloo
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2020 2:14 pm Reply with quote
Episode 9 - "Aim for Comet A!"

If this show was just about the love of creation, it would still be the best show this season. But adding Kanamori and her perspectives on how to focus everyone else's creative passion into making money to allow that passion to both continue and blossom is what really makes this show special, IMO.

A creative I follow retweeted a series of artworks titled "Being an artist, an essay" that talked about how one must prove themselves constantly through hard work yet not speak about money because it makes art "dirty" and while one wants to succeed, that success should only be fan admiration because if you do make money at what you love, you are a "sell-out" or "not relatable".

Kanamori's presence says that there is no shame at making a successful living doing what you love because that is how are able to continue to do what you love. The other's presence is showing how that love positively influences everyone around them so together, it becomes a virtuous cycle.
dragon695

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2020 5:00 pm Reply with quote
Just throwing this out there, but I suspect that 3DCGI is going to be topical this time.

Also, there is a rather gaping plot hole that could have been covered by the income from the audio sales, but was squandered on the idiot student council. What the girls are going to do is a huge violation of the academic software licenses. Recall how Kanamori assured Midori that the software was essentially free because they are using the school’s license. Academic licenses are provided for free or at deep discounts (like 80+%), but there are strings attached. We’re talking thousands, if not tens of thousands, of dollars in software, especially the compositing, auto inbetween, and film production software. The trade off is the software is only to be only on student and school projects that are not commercial ventures. By getting funding from an outside source and selling the result to the public, they are violating the both the letter and spirit of the licenses, opening both them and their institutions to lawsuits.
yuna49

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2020 12:30 pm Reply with quote
dragon695 wrote:
What the girls are going to do is a huge violation of the academic software licenses.

From the looks of things Tsubame's parents could buy the girls their own studio. Certainly they could afford to pay for commercial software licenses. I wouldn't be surprised to see the writers raise this issue.

This runs on NHK General. I suspect that network wouldn't want to support a show which suggests kids use their schools' resources for commercial ventures.
dragon695

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2020 4:06 pm Reply with quote
yuna49 wrote:
dragon695 wrote:
What the girls are going to do is a huge violation of the academic software licenses.

From the looks of things Tsubame's parents could buy the girls their own studio. Certainly they could afford to pay for commercial software licenses. I wouldn't be surprised to see the writers raise this issue.

This runs on NHK General. I suspect that network wouldn't want to support a show which suggests kids use their schools' resources for commercial ventures.

I sure hope so. I really respect how the series treats the professionalism of production.

I find Tsubame’s parents to be a Chekov’s gun. Now that they more or less approve of her club, it is something that will need resolution. I actually would like to see it dealt with in a more metanarrative about production committees in anime. I know that episodes have kind of touched on it, but now that they are getting major external financing, a discussion of control/rights would be due. I could see a scenario where Tsubame does not want her parents money because she is trying to go her own way and sees how dealing with external backer voices complicates the creative process.

Of course, having only 3 episodes left means we didn’t get to see the CoC/Town meeting in any real depth, so I am worried this isn’t going to be addressed. I am assuming the CoC is putting up much more money than the Super Robot Club did.

I also have to reiterate how sad it is that they chose to do a live action (with idols playing all 3 girls, no less!) adaptation instead of a second cour in the spring. I do not think live action does the series any justice.
ZeetherKID77

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2020 9:29 pm Reply with quote
I really hope CR considers this series for a dub later on even if it's after the season's finished. I don't mind the sub, but it sometimes moves at a mile a minute and I'd like to be able to look at stuff without looking at the subs as well.
dm
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2020 3:43 pm Reply with quote
Zac’s conclusion is exactly right — each episode adds layers to what came before. I expect, when the end credits roll on the final episode, I’ll queue up the first to watch the series through again.

Also: I can’t wait for the art book(s).

Yuasa has published a couple of his sketch books. I need to pull those down and take another look at them in light of this series.
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2020 10:14 pm Reply with quote
I didn't claim to be the author or that what I said had to be true. I personally though view midori as an individual with autism specturm disorder. I have stated my reasons why, and I find her to be enpowering and a positive view of the "disorder".

I personally would not call autism a mental illness, since I personally view it as a neurological difference that I would not say (by itself) necessarily affects the mental health of the person with the condition. I know many people are still arguing about it but that is my personal take.

If you see her as ADHD I can understand why you might feel and even if I don't agree I see it only as a good thing. Seeing people you see as similar as you achieve their dreams I only see as a positive. Also as I have learned in the autism community both is a viable option.
meiam

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2020 11:25 pm Reply with quote
I like Kanamori, she's a fun character, but... she's wrong here, deeply wrong. They reason they didn't make any money is, well... because she suck at her job plain simple. She signed the contract accepting just 15% (!!) of the profit... why? Why would you ever sign that? It's not like the IP of the robot club is worth... well anything. Especially considering they ended up not using the actual robot. So she signed a contract where they ended providing almost all the man power for only 15% and she's surprised they didn't end up recuperating profit? Did she really expect them to sell 24 000 (!!!!!) copies of their dvd?! I'd imagine even if literally every single person that went to the fair bough a DVD they still wouldn't have made a profit. This isn't some big surprise, they signed the contract at the beginning, they know roughly how much time they spend making a minute of animation, they could have trashed that out when signing the contract initially.

The solution to this isn't to turn down every club, it's juts to negotiate more reasonable fee/working hour.
dragon695

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2020 1:04 pm Reply with quote
KIIIIIITAAAA! The Akira bike slide by none other than Kanamori!

Glad to see the episode address, if not fully, the profit activity.
dm
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2020 2:53 pm Reply with quote
.. Not to mention Midori channeling/cosplaying Hayao Miyazaki explaining how stories take time to develop.

As well as lots of Yakuza-posing between Kanamori and the Student Council enforcer.

I loved Eikouzen's faculty advisor playing a handheld video game in the meeting with the faculty.

I need to watch this episode again.
dm
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2020 5:05 pm Reply with quote
Kanamori and the Student Council Secretary — two Yakuza bosses in a face-off— are a match made in Hell. More, please.

With the last scene before the credit-roll, I got the feeling that the next episode might be focused on the SC Secretary (Sasaki?). I think that could be great. Perhaps her evolution into an Eizouken frenemy.
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2020 7:30 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
It's understandable – the Eizouken is barely hanging on as it is. They won't exist anymore without another unimpeachable success

? Nowhere did I get this impression. They're a school club, their monetary (well, more labor-y) loss accounts to basically nothing in this context. None of the characters feel like quitting if they don't get another success, and even the outside forces don't want them to stop existing, but rather stop monetizing their work.
Takkun4343

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2020 7:52 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Of course, then the Student Council Fuckin' Cops show up...fudge them. Those stuffed-shirt student council cops need to be taken down!

Agreed. I was sorta okay with them in their debut ep, and Sakaki's kinda cool, but it's disappointing that they're being portrayed as more "down with Eizouken!" than the show thinks they are. The council prez and that sharktoothed one are examples of this, to the point where the latter's my least favorite anime person of 2020 even though she's only had one episode worth of lines.
Neko-sensei

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2020 9:30 am Reply with quote
I had to know, so I looked it up. It turns out that Doumeki's given name is, according to the author, "Parker."

I assume that the real name "Parker" (as in "Parker Posey") is intended by "パーカー," but of course the katakana are also a pun on "parka" for the hoodie she wears. Dunno if anyone else cares, but if most of the other characters are called by their first name in the reviews...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 6 of 9