• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: My Hero Academia: Heroes Rising Film Earns US$5.1 Million to Rank #4 in U.S. Opening Weekend

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JonDoe

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2020 8:59 pm Reply with quote
I always love hearing about an anime film doing well at the North American box office, and what's more it's already made more money in it's first five days than the last My hero academia film made in it's entire run!
PonSquared

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2020 9:42 pm Reply with quote
I just realized that, instead of having to drive an hour away like I have to do to see most anime films, my local theater is actually playing this! And, at a reasonable time (after work but not the late show.)

We are taking the boys to see it on Tuesday evening. Gotta support the anime film industry if I want more films to be show at my local place.

Anime films that have played at my theatre in the past few years:
DBZ: R "F"
Weathering With You
MHA: HR
A single screening of the Code Geass: Lelouch of the Resurrection but at 10:30pm on a Wed... Evil or Very Mad
FlareKnight

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2020 11:33 pm Reply with quote
I love that this ended up in so many theaters. So often I'd love to go see them, but they are just showing in a few places that I'm not close enough to. But this time could just go, watch it, and have a total blast. A really fun movie. And while it wasn't a packed room, everyone there was into it and having a good time.
Erufailon4

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2020 8:01 am Reply with quote
This week's episode of Charting with Dan should be interesting

Edit: It definitely was. Nice to hear Dan talking about anime once in a while. Good stuff.

Last edited by Erufailon4 on Tue Mar 03, 2020 11:01 am; edited 1 time in total
CastMember1991

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2020 5:29 pm Reply with quote
JonDoe wrote:
I always love hearing about an anime film doing well at the North American box office, and what's more it's already made more money in it's first five days than the last My hero academia film made in it's entire run!

A show like this probably wouldn't fly on Disney XD though. And I think the problem would be that although it's a superhero show, it's still cult status. And as we all know, Disney does NOT like cult status, they only like blockbuster status (i.e. Pixar, Marvel, Star Wars, etc.).

At least with Toonami, My Hero Academia has a chance.
JonDoe

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2020 6:13 pm Reply with quote
CastMember1991 wrote:

A show like this probably wouldn't fly on Disney Anime hyper though. And I think the problem would be that although it's a superhero show, it's still cult status. And as we all know, Disney does NOT like cult status, they only like blockbuster status (i.e. Pixar, Marvel, Star Wars, etc.).

At least with Toonami, My Hero Academia has a chance.

When the hell did I ever say anything about Disney? And I find it hilarious how you act as if Disney Anime hyper has high standards for what they air because we all know how shows like Lab Rats are the epitome of "blockbuster status". Rolling Eyes
enurtsol

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2020 5:20 am Reply with quote
Rare for anime to crack the Top 5, and MHA: Heroes Rising exceeded even the most optimistic expectations to come out of nowhere.

(Audiences gave this movie 5 stars too, but that literally means nothing. The ONLY people going to see it are already fans of the property. It’s not going to draw anyone else, no matter how good it is.)

DBZ: Broly actually opened up with higher dollars, but it had stiffer competition that weekend, so didn't crack the Top 5
Silver Kirin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2020 12:44 pm Reply with quote
It's awesome to see an anime movie doing well at the U.S. box-office, but to be fair, My Hero Academia is a pretty popular show, I don't know if I can call it mainstream but it's pretty well know across the world.
Speaking of which, Heroes Rising is coming where I live on March 19, though it seems that is sub only, which is fine, but the first movie got a spanish dub (unlike the series) and it was pretty well done, but maybe it'll get dubbed for the video release, I just hope that it'll be done in Mexico like the first movie, since there are rumors that the show will get a spanish dub but in a spanish-speaking studio in Miami.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1