• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Fate/Grand Order Absolute Demonic Front: Babylonia

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2020 6:11 pm Reply with quote
This was the first episode in I-don't-even-know-how-long (entire season maybe) that got me legit laughing out loud. It proceeded to ruin things with Erekshigal being as unfunny as she's always been, but still, good effort.
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2020 6:24 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
My personal favorite understated gag is how Jaguar Warrior's yell in one scene continues to persist and fade offscreen while the character's onscreen continue to ignore her.

until quetz punches her.
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2020 7:34 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I do have a small quibble here from a dramatic standpoint, and it has to do with Command Seals. These were introduced in Fate/stay night as a kind of “get out of jail free card” that Masters could use in desperate situations to power up and/or command their Servants, with the sticking point that they only had 3 of them. In other words, they were a powerful yet finite resource, so using them was a big deal. In FGO, Command Seals serve a similar purpose, but the player can regenerate them at a rate of one per day. This makes sense from a game design perspective, but it completely strips any dramatic tension from using one in the narrative. Ritsuka has already used them a few times in Babylonia, and him using one here is supposed to indicate that he and Ishtar are going all out, but it lacks the urgency of their original appearance in the visual novel. Instead, this feels more like a pantomime of what audiences expect “Fate” to be.
From the looks of things Gudao only gets three CSs per singularity.

If they actually regenerated once per day, he'd have had three before boosting Ishtar, since he used one against Ereshkigal days before.

As for the episode, I had to laugh at Team Chaldea's horror in the face of immersion-ruining CGI. The rest was great, though.
kotelo_

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2020 9:38 pm Reply with quote
About ep17 review: it's Command Spells, not Seals.
AksaraKishou

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2020 10:56 pm Reply with quote
Funnily enough i really liked Tiamat's model. Looks nice af
Kilgamayan

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2020 7:31 am Reply with quote
Quote:
I rankle a bit at Gil's surprise and rage here, because both he and Enkidu are responsible for destroying her Bull of Heaven in the Epic of Gilgamesh. Maybe he expected this new incarnation of Ishtar to have her own new incarnation of the bull, but I think he should feel at least a little bit responsible for the mess they're now in. Give Ishtar a break. She needs it.

I have to disagree with this simply because it was stunning to see Gilgamesh, of all Fate characters, legitimately thrown for a loop. CasGil in particular has had backup plans out the wazoo the whole time: seeing him get flustered and lose his temper really cemented the sense of "oh no, they really DON'T have any hope, do they". Heck, I've played through Babylonia and I was still shocked.

Also it led directly to the Useless Goddess sign, which was excellent. I'd been looking forward to it more than anything else in this show. >_>
KefkaesqueXIII

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2020 9:01 am Reply with quote
kotelo_ wrote:
About ep17 review: it's Command Spells, not Seals.

Huh, I could've sworn it was Seals, but I just checked the game and they are indeed referred to as Spells.

Regardless, as FilthyCasual pointed out, Ritsuka has not been regenerating Command Spells during this anime (the only other one he's used was to buff Mash's NP against Eresh). We have seen him enhance his servants at other points, but those were just the more standard Mystic Code buffs.

Quote:
Maybe [Gil] expected this new incarnation of Ishtar to have her own new incarnation of the bull, but I think he should feel at least a little bit responsible for the mess they're now in. Give Ishtar a break. She needs it.

To be fair to Gil, Ishtar was summoned with a Bull of Heaven NP, though I'm not certain if he actually knew this for certain (he does have clairvoyance after all), or if he just assumed.

To be fair to Ishtar, I believe the original fan theory was that Ibaraki (the Berserker Gil summoned, who went rogue and ran off to the mountains to form a bandit group) was responsible for Ishtar losing the Bull. Then the Fate/Strange Fake author instead made it canon that spoiler[their version of Ishtar reached across dimensions and stole the Bull from Babylonia's Ishtar (SF!Ishtar apparently mistaking the singularity as just another failed timeline that would soon be pruned). ]

So yeah, our Ishtar doesn't really deserve much blame here.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2020 3:10 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
he also worked on the legendary 22nd episode of Fate/Apocrypha

Well, unlike that episode at least the non-fight scene parts didn't look like hot garbage.
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2020 3:11 pm Reply with quote
to the game players:
Was this the part where it's confirmed that quez is/was ana line weapon designed to end civilization just like atila was (cept that quetz suceeded, unlike atila, by killing the dinosaur civilizatoin) ?
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2020 3:31 pm Reply with quote
maximilianjenus wrote:
to the game players:
Was this the part where it's confirmed that quez is/was ana line weapon designed to end civilization just like atila was (cept that quetz suceeded, unlike atila, by killing the dinosaur civilizatoin) ?
No, Quetz is space bacteria that rode a meteorite to Earth, possessed various people, and ended up deified.

Basically, she's Deoxys.
Konopan

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2020 5:08 pm Reply with quote
maximilianjenus wrote:
to the game players:

Quetzalcotl is likely a rider because she came to earth on the meteor that made dinosaurs extinct, but she isn't the meteor itself. That's gotta be Type-Mercury if anything
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2020 10:16 pm Reply with quote
Ah, so quetz is not type mercury, good to know.
The Scream Man

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2020 6:16 am Reply with quote
I've only been playing the game a couple of weeks, but I feel at this point the game will be so much less interesting than this series has been i wonder if Ill bother at that stage. Maybe Ill just skip the cutscenes, I'm not sure. :/

But man the last episode was amazing.
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2020 8:43 pm Reply with quote
Ep 19 Review wrote:
This is, ostensibly, the final battle of FGO's final singularity, so if ever there were a point to through caution to the wind and indulge in excess, it's right here.

It isn't the final singularity. This is the 7th singularity. There is one after Babylonia literally called the final singularity.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2020 9:06 pm Reply with quote
SilverTalon01 wrote:
Ep 19 Review wrote:
This is, ostensibly, the final battle of FGO's final singularity, so if ever there were a point to through caution to the wind and indulge in excess, it's right here.

It isn't the final singularity. This is the 7th singularity. There is one after Babylonia literally called the final singularity.

Which is why they said ostensibly. At this point in the story, the characters and the audience didn’t know there was another singularity after it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 7 of 9