• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Sailor Moon Sailor Stars DVD & BD Part 2

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chiibi

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2020 12:56 pm Reply with quote
Lol

One of the better UsagixMamoru episodes I thought was in R where they were taking care of the boy baby together. That was honestly really cute. I wish we'd gotten more scenes like that.

Oh, that 'GTFO' wasn't directed at any of you; it was for the writers who thought that was a "good idea".
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2020 1:03 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
That's easy to do; just have ONE episode with he and Usagi interacting the same way he had SEIYA and Usagi interact...that's why that ship has a lot of fans; they were actually shown having fun together and being compatible. The scene where Seiya takes Usagi on a date was enough to make me ship it....and that wasn't even a whole 23 minutes!
This was also the lowest rating Sailor Moon episode in Japan and Sailor Stars in general tended to do poorly in ratings. https://twitter.com/t_unmasked/status/1231926755004276738?s=21
Chiibi

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2020 1:09 pm Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
This was also the lowest rating Sailor Moon episode in Japan and Sailor Stars in general tended to do poorly in ratings. https://twitter.com/t_unmasked/status/1231926755004276738?s=21

BAH they didn't know what was good back then. xD silly Japan...
Sailor Sedna

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2020 1:09 pm Reply with quote
@Chiibi

I could tell, sorry how I reacted. But yeah, they could have done it better than that.

@Cardcaptor Takato

I don't doubt SuperS was partially to blame for that since that season alienated and lost a lot of fans.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2020 1:13 pm Reply with quote
@Sailor Sedna

it's cool; you did nothing wrong. Sometimes I get a little too passionate. xD

Stars is honestly my favorite season...the biggest problem I had with it was Eternal Sailor Moon's costume...(the wings look weird and I'm not big on the colors). Her very large, angelic wings in the climax look incredible though.
Sailor Sedna

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2020 7:56 pm Reply with quote
They should have made Moon's wings on her suit angelic like in the finale/manga.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2020 11:06 pm Reply with quote
I go back and forth between Sailor Stars in either third or fourth favorite season depending on how I feel about it in comparison to SuperS on any given day with S and Classic in first and second place.
yurigasaki

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2020 8:22 am Reply with quote
Chiibi wrote:
That's easy to do; just have ONE episode with he and Usagi interacting the same way he had SEIYA and Usagi interact...that's why that ship has a lot of fans; they were actually shown having fun together and being compatible. The scene where Seiya takes Usagi on a date was enough to make me ship it....and that wasn't even a whole 23 minutes!

A rocky relationship is better than 'barely any interaction' at all, imho. Or worse, 'borderline abusive interaction'. Usagi slaps Mamoru for not knowing her birthday in S? GTFOtta here...that was so out of character and horrible it's not even funny...

I know Moonies love blaming Ikuhara for everything they dislike about the show, but this is frankly ridiculous.

Ikuhara had no involvement in the show past episode 166, almost a full 20 episodes before Seiya and Usagi's date, which was directed by – guess who! – Junichi Satou and written by Kazuhiko Kobe. Same goes for the slap episode you're so mad about – yes, it was in S, but Ikuhara again had no involvement in it. Katsuyuki Sumizawa wrote it and Yuji Endo directed it.

If you're going to make disparaging remarks about not only a director's work but their actual character as a person (despite never having met them) then it's probably best to actually know what you're talking about first.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2020 3:17 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Ikuhara had no involvement in the show past episode 166, almost a full 20 episodes before Seiya and Usagi's date, which was directed by – guess who! – Junichi Satou and written by Kazuhiko Kobe. Same goes for the slap episode you're so mad about – yes, it was in S, but Ikuhara again had no involvement in it. Katsuyuki Sumizawa wrote it and Yuji Endo directed it.
Ikuhara as a whole only directed around 20 episodes out of 200 and one movie but fans tend to forget the 90s anime was a collaborative effort between multiple writers and episode directors.
NJ_

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2020 3:23 pm Reply with quote
yurigasaki wrote:

Just to add to the Stars point, Sato was episode director for 181 (one of 3 episodes he worked on) while the full season itself was directed by Takuya Igarashi, who took over after Ikuhara left.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2020 9:17 pm Reply with quote
Sailor Sedna wrote:
They should have made Moon's wings on her suit angelic like in the finale/manga.

Definitely, yeah...but I'm thinking that would have been a bitch to animate. Laughing

As for Mamoru's writing....perhaps Ikuhara wasn't the only staff member who didn't like him?

He (especially Tuxedo Kamen) was treated as a joke quite a lot during the anime run...or am I just remembering that wrong? Of course, Usagi was treated like crap a lot too, compared to her manga counterpart Like "hey, let's make her really dumb and act like a three-year-old during all five seasons because that's funny!!" . Confused Ugh.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2020 10:58 pm Reply with quote
Chiibi wrote:

As for Mamoru's writing....perhaps Ikuhara wasn't the only staff member who didn't like him?

He (especially Tuxedo Kamen) was treated as a joke quite a lot during the anime run...or am I just remembering that wrong? Of course, Usagi was treated like crap a lot too, compared to her manga counterpart Like "hey, let's make her really dumb and act like a three-year-old during all five seasons because that's funny!!" . Confused Ugh.
I think it's more likely that nobody on the anime staff actually hated Tuxedo Mask and that a lot of fans are projecting their personal views of the character onto the writing staff and both Tuxedo Mask and Mamoru Chiba typically ranked pretty high up on official anime character popularity polls in Japan in the early 90s. Tuxedo Mask was the fourth favorite male anime character in the Animage poll from May 93.
Cutiebunny

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2020 1:12 am Reply with quote
Chiibi wrote:
Of course, Usagi was treated like crap a lot too, compared to her manga counterpart Like "hey, let's make her really dumb and act like a three-year-old during all five seasons because that's funny!!" . Confused Ugh.

No, she wasn't. She started out incredibly immature and was a crybaby (remember when her odango jewels acted as wailing amplifiers?) and eventually became an incredibly strong heroine. Compare Episode 1 Sailor Moon to Episode 200 Sailor Moon. Big, big difference in how they operate in battle.

Outside of battle, yes, Usagi is the show's comedy. Most of the jokes revolve around her being slightly selfish and clueless, and I think it works. If you want manga Usagi, watch Crystal. If you want the lovable goofball in all of her glory(?), watch the 1990s version.

As for the staff, I've met Tadano (R chara designer), Shimogasa (Ami Special chara designer) and Itoh (S/SuperS chara designer) . None of them said anything about the staff hating any character. Tadano did talk about how difficult it was to work on the R movie with Ikuhara and how the studio treated all of them pretty poorly. Itoh doesn't like talking about her time working on SM, so that also leaves me to believe that things were not that great.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2020 2:15 am Reply with quote
Cutiebunny wrote:
Most of the jokes revolve around her being slightly selfish and clueless, and I think it works.

Slightly? No, they go overboard with her.
I don't blame her for crying when she is scared and has never fought a monster before (honestly, that's fine and understandable) but I really didn't like how they made a sixteen-year-old have a literal temper tantrum on the floor over a piece of pie. That was bloody ridiculous. Rolling Eyes No teenager would act that way in real life. She's definitely better in Stars but SuperS treated her like complete crap most of the time; she practically regresses in that season.

Quote:
If you want manga Usagi, watch Crystal.

Dunno if Crystal improves...but the first fourteen episodes were really awful, imho. They STILL couldn't get her right....but the worst part was how it was directed. The characters were not allowed to emote...or something...it was just....so 'off'.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2