• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Island of Giant Insects Anime Film Announces English Dub Cast

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
v1cious

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2020 4:16 pm Reply with quote
Yongyea? I gues this is his big break Laughing
SUPER_METR0lD

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2020 5:29 pm Reply with quote
This is never going to hit its goal because they are asking way too much just to received a copy of the movie. You have to contribute a minimum of $76. That's what's preventing the masses from supporting this Kickstarter. Offer a more reasonable $30 tier that includes a copy of the movie, and way more people will contribute.
Scion Drake

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2020 5:34 pm Reply with quote
Holy shit a Goddamn youtuber.
fathomlessblue

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2020 6:26 pm Reply with quote
I was wondering about that choice. Is he trying to break into the dub scene, or is this just a cynical attempt to drum up support through the fanbase of a minor youtube personality? I mean, ProZD I could understand (although I suspect a potential project like this would be beneath him), but my only experience of Yongyea is as a guy who makes his living through jumping on the gaming-controversy-of-the-day bandwagon. Perhaps he has hidden talents, but given that I've found it hard not to equate him as a less sincere version of Jim Sterling, this just reeks of dodgy marketing to me.
Yuki_Kun45
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2020 6:32 pm Reply with quote
fathomlessblue wrote:
I was wondering about that choice. Is he trying to break into the dub scene, or is this just a cynical attempt to drum up support through the fanbase of a minor youtube personality? I mean, ProZD I could understand (although I suspect a potential project like this would be beneath him), but my only experience of Yongyea is as a guy who makes his living through jumping on the gaming-controversy-of-the-day bandwagon. Perhaps he has hidden talents, but given that I've found it hard not to equate him as a less sincere version of Jim Sterling, this just reeks of dodgy marketing to me.

Yongyea is seriously pursuing Voice Acting since moving out to Los Angeles in fairness to him. he explains it a little more here.
Southkaio

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2020 7:14 pm Reply with quote
This was my dub prediction:

Mutsumi Oribe: Montserrat Hernandez
Chitose Naruse: Dawn M. Bennett
Ayumi Matsuoka: Marissa Lenti
Mami Miura: Felecia Angelle
Mirei Jinno: Cree Summer
Ai Inō: Julie Maddalena
Kazuhiko Kai: Scott McNeil
Atsushi Kamijō: Kyle Igneczi
Inaho Enoki: Cindy Robinson

What do you think?
Sevokevo Royuki

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2020 8:24 pm Reply with quote
SUPER_METR0lD wrote:
This is never going to hit its goal because they are asking way too much just to received a copy of the movie. You have to contribute a minimum of $76. That's what's preventing the masses from supporting this Kickstarter. Offer a more reasonable $30 tier that includes a copy of the movie, and way more people will contribute.

Yeah well the Blue Rays are being made in Japan.. in which they explained in a update why it was so high. This update was before they released the Blue Ray only teir at $76

Quote:
"We need a more affordable "Blu-ray only" tier."
This request is a bit harder to answer. We do understand, from past experience, that Blu-rays are relatively more affordable in "Western" countries, mainly due to the market simply being bigger(= more sales, hence ability to lower prices). However, it does not apply to all anime movie projects, especially to smaller production/budget ones like ours. At this point, it is VERY difficult for us to expect huge sales.

Therefore, we have no choice but to offer it for this price - surround-sound Blu-ray estimated cost around ¥8,000 (Approx. $75), everything up to Rank 4, plus T-shirts and other exclusive items not available anywhere else, AND INCLUDING WORLDWIDE SHIPPING totaling to ¥20,000 (Approx. $180).

To us, the team, this is currently the best value we can offer, and believe it's well worth it - especially after seeing the package is super awesome too!

Meanwhile, the team will constantly be discussing about this topic, and we are ALWAYS happy to hear what everyone has to say, whether it be positive or negative.
Crispy45

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2020 10:58 pm Reply with quote
fathomlessblue wrote:

I can't believe there's people that eschew YouTube in the year 2020. I get why journalists like to dog on YouTubers, since they kinda stole their all their job away and now more people watch YouTubers for news and reviews than read websites, so they're desperate to try to slander them at any possible chance in the vain hope that people will come crawling back to legacy media, but seeing people with no financial stakes in the competition do it is just odd. And I wouldn't call a guy with over a million subs a 'minor' YouTuber. Don't eschew someone just because they have a bigger platform than you.

Just for the record, Christina Vee started out as a YouTuber, and she got so much hate from the 'professional' anime dubbing VAs at the time. They saw her as a lesser VA, and she only got a chance because she was a YouTubers. As opposed to, what, getting a chance because you were friends with a producer at Funimation or Viz? Lots of YouTubers have shifted into full time actors and voice actors since the dawn of the platform. Ashley Burch is another one. This isn't anything new. Team Fourstar have done some stuff too. And ProZD acted in some cringy shorts for Crunchyroll and some preschooler shows on TV. I don't think this would be "beneath" him.
cookiemanstah

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2020 11:30 pm Reply with quote
to begin with, who was this anime made for??
luisedgarf

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2020 11:53 pm Reply with quote
I'm more surprised to find that Elsie Lovelock, the Scottish actress who did the famous voice acting of the Scottish Pokemon Trainer, is going to do voice work in this movie.
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2020 12:21 am Reply with quote
Here's my dub prediction: ain't happening...$20k/$80k with 8 days. Anyone signing on for this is only looking for (minor) attention. Who is this for? Maybe someone who has been around every block there is for decades should tell us since it was made in Japan for their domestic audience I'd assume. For the dub, I'd say it's for what English fans there are. That may be ~100 so far who want to pay according to the kickstarter.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2020 12:54 pm Reply with quote
What was the rational behind this? Surely no thought this was going to make a load of money through KS.
Crispy45 wrote:
Just for the record, Christina Vee started out as a YouTuber, and she got so much hate from the 'professional' anime dubbing VAs at the time. They saw her as a lesser VA, and she only got a chance because she was a YouTubers. As opposed to, what, getting a chance because you were friends with a producer at Funimation or Viz?
That's doesn't add up to her bio. First off she has credits going back to 05(the year YouTube launched) and it said she got to audition at Bang Zoom! through Wendee Lee. How did she get her start on YouTube if she was already acting in Anime.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1