• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Somali and the Forest Spirit

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
blahmoomoo

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2020 1:46 pm Reply with quote
dragon695 wrote:
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Quote:
Also worth noting is the almost throw-away line we hear as Somali and Golem are walking through the witches' library, that they have a vast collection of medical texts. That certainly means that Golem can do some studying for the next time Somali gets hurt or sick (or they bump into Haitora and Uzoi again)

This has been bugging me since the city's existence was revealed. "There's a city over yonder where all the world's knowledge is stored. You should check it out! Meanwhile, we'll just go off in the opposite direction in our time-sensitive search for a cure!" Rolling Eyes

To be honest, Haitora has likely resolved that there is no cure. Or if there is, it is not going to be gleaned from books. They already were on their way following a lead before they met Somali, so why would they change course now?

This adaptation is reordering the stories from the manga. Based on what has been released for free on MAL so far, the witch library arc just finished while the Uzoi arc hasn't happened yet. Nor has the arc in the city with the bunny kid. So that's why it seems weird.
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2020 1:53 pm Reply with quote
Haven't Haitora and Uzoi already visited the witch city, in the show? Their earlier flashback in the scene where they were informed that Haitora's blood is 'tainted', and received the prophecy that led Uzoi to want to kill Somali, looked exactly like the weird-hut-thing the head witch-librarian was shown to live in at the end of the most recent episode. That would seem to support the idea that they've tried knowledge-city and still came out empty-handed (excepting the blood-prophecy, of course).
blahmoomoo

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2020 3:33 pm Reply with quote
The dialogue made it sound like they heard the witches were over there, not that they knew for sure. It also seems unlikely that the fortune teller was a witch, or at least a witch from this village, based on what I've seen.
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2020 3:48 pm Reply with quote
Hm -- yes, it seems you're probably right. These are the 2 shots I was remembering, and while they're both composed similarly and there're a lot of commonalities between the designs of the two hut-like structures, they also seem quite distinct:

Kirki

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2020 4:12 pm Reply with quote
Just a side note, Theodora is a female name that means "God's Gift".
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2020 5:41 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Presumably the first humans to meet him tried to kill him and part of his godhood is based on the fact that they couldn't, but it's still the one off-note in all of this.

Well, we still don't know who created the golem, or why they have a clockwork set lifespan. If humans created them, as in our own mythologies, it would explain why they were primed to not see Haraiso as an enemy, and as the origins of golem were lost over time, their seeming immortality could easily position them to be gods rather than protective servants.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2020 4:35 am Reply with quote
That mouse must not be much of a dentist. My biggest worry during that visit was that he would know that her teeth weren't those of a minotaur, and perhaps even recognize them as human.

This also colored how I viewed the toothbox part. At first I thought he decided it would be unwise to leave the tooth with the dentist who could out her as human. It also struck me as odd that the box had the right number of spaces for human baby teeth. So maybe like the oni, he knew and just didn't care?

Glad to have the oni back, btw! Very Happy
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2020 10:55 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
So maybe like the oni, he knew and just didn't care?

That was my assumption - if you think about it, we haven't actually met anyone who actively hates humans and apart from Uzoi, it doesn't seem like anyone's really encountered any; they're almost like mythical beasts at this point. The dentist may just have figured that she wasn't hurting anyone and decided to leave well enough alone.
dragon695

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2020 9:42 pm Reply with quote
blahmoomoo wrote:
This adaptation is reordering the stories from the manga. Based on what has been released for free on MAL so far, the witch library arc just finished while the Uzoi arc hasn't happened yet. Nor has the arc in the city with the bunny kid. So that's why it seems weird.

Speaking of which, it seem weird they skipped the zaza chapters, which not only were kind of poignant, but also had key world building info that really wasn’t covered.

Rebecca, are you reading the manga beyond volume 1?
blahmoomoo

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2020 11:25 pm Reply with quote
Princess_Irene wrote:
Gina Szanboti wrote:
So maybe like the oni, he knew and just didn't care?

That was my assumption - if you think about it, we haven't actually met anyone who actively hates humans and apart from Uzoi, it doesn't seem like anyone's really encountered any; they're almost like mythical beasts at this point. The dentist may just have figured that she wasn't hurting anyone and decided to leave well enough alone.

Extrapolating a bit, I'd guess that the dentist's species may have had a time in the past where they were treated beneath everyone else due to their size. Hence why they are now well known for being dentists; they carved that position in society out for themselves. If my guess is right, then he would keep quiet out of empathy.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2020 7:00 am Reply with quote
Princess_Irene wrote:
if you think about it, we haven't actually met anyone who actively hates humans

In the restaurant in the first episode, a couple of the patrons were reminiscing about eating humans, hunting them and keeping them as pets. They talked like humans being available in the market was a fairly recent thing. So while they might not hate humans, viewing them as too weak to fear, there did seem to be good reason to keep Somali's identity a secret. The cat being who sniffed her out seemed a bit hostile as well, or at least hungry. Plus, the condition she was in when Golem found her.
olgita

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2020 1:19 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I've had people refuse to shake my hand upon hearing my last name

Wait, what? Why?
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2020 1:47 pm Reply with quote
olgita wrote:
Quote:
I've had people refuse to shake my hand upon hearing my last name

Wait, what? Why?

Because "Silverman" is a Jewish name.
yuna49

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2020 3:25 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
from her scent, something which hasn't been acknowledge by the series before now

Didn't the cat in episode one identify Somali's race by her odor? I suspect it's why the oni in the earlier episode knew she was human as well.
dragon695

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2020 4:53 pm Reply with quote
yuna49 wrote:
Quote:
from her scent, something which hasn't been acknowledge by the series before now

Didn't the cat in episode one identify Somali's race by her odor? I suspect it's why the oni in the earlier episode knew she was human as well.

Yes, it did. Uzoi also sniffed her out. It’s also implied that the bug monster in the underground area of the city of ants might have become active due to smelling her.

Quote:
What's particularly horrifying about this turnabout is the fact that mere moments before she figured out Somali's race (from her scent, something which hasn't been acknowledge by the series before now), she was doting on the girl.

I went ahead and bought the entire manga ebooks up to vol 6. Vol. 5 is where this mini-arc gets covered. Unfortunately, it seems the author uses a side story in vol. 5 to try to make her more sympathetic despite her ugly side, the latter of which ought to be shown in more detail in the next episode. What with how the anime is dropping key bits of information/skipping parts, I am not sure if the side story info will be included. Until now, none of the tankoban side story material has presented new canon information. I will comment further next week if the side story is omitted.

The upcoming episode is going to be wild if the manga is anything to go by and your questions will likely be answered. People should buckle in. The thing is, there isn’t *that much* left in this mini-arc for two episodes or even one. I suspect 12 is going to be anime original since the next mini-arc is too long for a single episode (though it is a shame they couldn’t fit it in with 13 or 14 eps, because it is a good one, too. The manga is stalled at chapter 38 since October/November?. This mini-arc concludes at chapter 31.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3