• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Fanfiction Website Archive of Our Own Inaccessible in China

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Heishi

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2020 12:43 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Unless it goes agaisnt the rules (Real People aren't allowed and no smut) then it's fair game pairings wise...

Odd, I was sure there was smut in it. M rated fanfictions on fanfiction.net do allow lemons, do they not?
Cause I recall reading, Kannazuki no Miko, Naruto, Smash Bros, Kingdom Hearts, and even some EarthBound fanfics that had sexual content in them.[/quote]
Emma Iveli

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2020 12:50 am Reply with quote
Heishi wrote:
Quote:
Unless it goes agaisnt the rules (Real People aren't allowed and no smut) then it's fair game pairings wise...

Odd, I was sure there was smut in it. M rated fanfictions on fanfiction.net do allow lemons, do they not?
Cause I recall reading, Kannazuki no Miko, Naruto, Smash Bros, Kingdom Hearts, and even some EarthBound fanfics that had sexual content in them.
[/quote]

Officially they're not allowed, but they rarely ever get policed.
Heishi

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2020 1:04 am Reply with quote
Quote:

Interesting. I wonder if you can ship any fictional characters you want.
You see, this might sound funny but, I was kinda hoping I would make a request for a Smash Bros. fanfiction involving Samus and Lucas.
Emma Iveli

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2020 1:18 am Reply with quote
Heishi wrote:
Quote:

Interesting. I wonder if you can ship any fictional characters you want.
You see, this might sound funny but, I was kinda hoping I would make a request for a Smash Bros. fanfiction involving Samus and Lucas.

I'm not a writer of that fandom, but I'm sure you can find someone to write it...

But yeah... any pairing is possible... for example I havn't read it, but there exsists a fanfic that pairs Kyubei from Madoka Magic and Mineta from My Hero Academia...
Fenrin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2020 1:18 am Reply with quote
Man, that's low. There's always that one person that's gotta ruin it for the rest of us...

I'm not a fan or RPFs by any means (although there was this one hockey rpf...lol) but fandom etiquette dictates you just look the other way. But when you add crazed celebrity followers into the mix casualties are bound to happen.
SheRrIs

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2020 5:00 am Reply with quote
Heishi wrote:
Quote:

Cause I recall reading, Kannazuki no Miko, Naruto, Smash Bros, Kingdom Hearts, and even some EarthBound fanfics that had sexual content in them.

Anything with adult content (mostly sex) is not allowed now and there were
content purges in the past
without warning.
That's the reason so many fanfic writers migrated to AO3.
Haterater

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2020 1:46 pm Reply with quote
@Sherris

Thanks for that information. I was wondering why most of that type of content I like to read was linked to AO3 more often.

I can kind of understand of no shipping real people, but to ban the whole site isn't really fair. Especially hearing of the hypocrisy of the one starting it.
SheRrIs

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2020 2:50 pm Reply with quote
Haterater wrote:
@Sherris

Thanks for that information. I was wondering why most of that type of content I like to read was linked to AO3 more often.

I can kind of understand of no shipping real people, but to ban the whole site isn't really fair. Especially hearing of the hypocrisy of the one starting it.

AO3 has a whole section dedicated to fanfiction about real people and celebs, so it's nothing new...
Haterater

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2020 1:57 pm Reply with quote
Figures, its just a war of fans doing such and such.

The argument could be made that's its all just fantasy when shipping real people so not sure if he has a leg to stand on.
Aisama

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2020 1:16 am Reply with quote
capt_bunny wrote:
Forgive my stupidity if I read wrong.

So mainly this is about shipping real-life people? If so then that's pretty awful..... I'm all for fictional characters but not with anyone IRL. The same goes for BTS and love live (it was so bad that an English facebook page wasn't sorry about shipping the seiyuus together). Poor guy on getting so much hate.

It's about fanwars gone wrong. It's about crazy stans feeling triggered about a fic written by a shipper fan thinking it'll ruin the reputation of their idol, thus decided they'll report the whole website to get it shut down. This then doubled down to the stans triggering and dragging everyone else from different outside fandom circles into the mess for getting their home wrecked. And the result is the idol, Xiao Zhan, ended up being hated in retaliation from AO3 users for what his fans did.

Everyone have their kinks in shipping material. It still all comes down to fantasy so whatever floats their boat. Who are we to judge what's considered right and wrong. If the real person themselves really dislike these kind of things, they should speak out about it as I'm sure they are aware of rps fans.

For Xiao Zhan's side of the fandoms, it's pretty well known that his solo stans don't like his shipper fans. Just FYI, the shipper community of him and his costar wang yibo is pretty big on weibo in that it's currently ranked #1 in the shipping category with nearly 1.8 million fans (give or take the real count as it still steadily increases almost weekly if not daily), and most possibly well known by now, by himself and others, in the industry that you'll see company who signed them as endorser will low-key markets toward the shipper fans.

It is awful that he got shot by his own fan's stupidity which got him many unwanted hate. Poor guy.
DavetheUsher

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2020 3:04 am Reply with quote
Aisama wrote:
If the real person themselves really dislike these kind of things, they should speak out about it as I'm sure they are aware of rps fans.

Usually the best PR move is to not say anything on a subject, especially on topics like fanworks and things like this.
Aisama

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2020 10:53 am Reply with quote
DavetheUsher wrote:

Usually the best PR move is to not say anything on a subject, especially on topics like fanworks and things like this.
yes, you are correct. I'm just saying he have that choice, and his fans should've given him that choice, whether he choose to do it through private mean or other form of communication. The decision on fan contents of him is still up to him.

Of course now he have no choice but to not say anything on the subject matter and just let it die with time because he's dragged into not just within the fan wars, but other things that he shouldn't say anything about or get his name attached to any further.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2