• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Plunderer

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
writerpatrick

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2020 8:05 pm Reply with quote
The sexual harassment is definitely off-putting, but despite it I find the story somewhat interesting. The show is something of a guilty pleasure. Maybe Hina should take a tip from Satsuki Miyanoshita in Ghost Stories and wear bike shorts.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2020 3:46 pm Reply with quote
RE: Episode 8.

I'm glad we're finally getting some reveals. Going into it, I thought the story was called Plunderer because the characters were treasure hunters of some sort. When that wasn't the case, it left me wondering what significance the title had. Fantasy stories having their own renditions of modern technology isn't unusual, but the demon turning out to be a Hind is something else. I certainly wasn't expecting that the monsters that the Aces supposedly fought hundreds of years ago would be a disguise for weapons from our world.
Agent355

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2020 3:24 am Reply with quote
I read to the helicopter reveal in the manga (the end of the first English omnibus volume) and I’m very curious about where the story goes from here. My guess is (speculation, not spoilers) spoiler[ the characters live in a video game world connected via the “abyss” to other video game worlds, like a sinister Wreck it Ralph. It would certainly explain the “count” thing!]
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2020 2:18 am Reply with quote
Well, I dropped this after Episode 6, but the review for Episode 8 made me watch again. After seeing 9 and being riveted from start to finish without Rolling Eyes ing or groaning once, all I can say is that this show sure turned on a dime into something completely different. Shocked Trying to remember the last series I saw that so utterly shifted course and tone so quickly. Maybe Samurai Flamenco?

Now, if they can just keep this up without falling back on the sexual harassment shit again (and I have trouble seeing how they could go back to that now, but somehow "fan service" finds a way...), I'll likely be in for the duration.
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2020 1:47 am Reply with quote
Ditto. My morbid curiosity got the better of me this week and found Ep9 was actually interesting and no sexual harassment to be seen (unless you count Sinohara's friendliness toward Licht). I'll check out episodes in retrospect now but I agree that if show pulls itself out of the nosedive it was on, it'll only be the second time I'm aware of such has happened since BBK/BRNK.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2020 8:34 am Reply with quote
dragon695 wrote:
I’d pay to see another man sexually assault licht so he can see how it feels to be on the other end of unwelcome advances. Seriously, for all the positive points, I just can’t stand it anymore. I’m out.

The girls were totally unaffected by licht sexual advances, and they still love him anyway. Sound like some of viewers are more hurt than the "victims" themselves.lol
Key

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2020 9:31 pm Reply with quote
Finally got caught up on this one. I, too, have been annoyed by this series' shenanigans on the sexual harassment and the poor timing of some of Licht's evasive crap, but the revelation at the end of episode 8 was a stunner that got me to immediately watch episode 9, and now it's like a whole different series. I might now have to prioritize this one more highly if it doesn't revert to previous form.

Oh, and for Richard: Good catch on the "who knows what guns are" observation. Pele has always seemed to know more than he's letting on, so that was no surprise, but it didn't even occur to me that Nana was the other person reacting like she knew.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Greed1914

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2020 12:26 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Well, I dropped this after Episode 6, but the review for Episode 8 made me watch again. After seeing 9 and being riveted from start to finish without Rolling Eyes ing or groaning once, all I can say is that this show sure turned on a dime into something completely different. Shocked Trying to remember the last series I saw that so utterly shifted course and tone so quickly. Maybe Samurai Flamenco?

Now, if they can just keep this up without falling back on the sexual harassment shit again (and I have trouble seeing how they could go back to that now, but somehow "fan service" finds a way...), I'll likely be in for the duration.

I do hope that it sticks to that since Plunderer is much better when it stays out of its own way and avoids the pervert Licht stuff. I'm not convinced it will. Trying to look up Hina's skirt will almost certainly be a "back to normal" moment, but I can at least hope it uses that stuff more sparingly.
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2020 11:04 pm Reply with quote
Retroactive Review Ep7-8
Best stick to Ep >8 because it was a little too much for me to see Lynn and Hina battling for Licht's heart (or whatever) and making excuses for how he is really a great guy who just likes looking between women's legs, etc Mad
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2020 3:39 am Reply with quote

Well they sure resolved all that in a hurry. Where'd all the dead civilians go? Just a scratch, walk it off everybody. Rolling Eyes

Gina Szanboti wrote:
I have trouble seeing how they could go back to that now, but somehow "fan service" finds a way...

Aaaaand, I wasn't wrong. Sad I'll definitely be reading the review for 11 to see if anything worthwhile happens, but it's sure looking like a miss.
Saury

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2020 8:14 pm Reply with quote
Although I agree the story ... could have been better written, to say the least, and the fanservice and general horniness of Licht was not needed, the author at least makes somewhat decent use of it later, so I am a little less bothered by it compared to others here.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2020 8:48 pm Reply with quote
It's fine if he's generally horny - well, no, not fine - it's really exhausting (to the one on the receiving end) to have to put up with a constant barrage of that, even if it's just verbal. But the physical assaults are just way over the line. I have trouble seeing how that could be used in any constructive way I'd find tolerable (btw, that's not your cue to tell me how Smile).

Are they really going with Shumerman (I thought the subs said "Schmerman," which is worse)? I think his name is supposed to be Schumelmann. At least they got Toshihiko Seki to play him, so that's to look forward to. Smile
ILOVEITToo

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2020 4:41 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
It's fine if he's generally horny - well, no, not fine - it's really exhausting (to the one on the receiving end) to have to put up with a constant barrage of that, even if it's just verbal. But the physical assaults are just way over the line. I have trouble seeing how that could be used in any constructive way I'd find tolerable (btw, that's not your cue to tell me how Smile).

It does not need to be used in any constructive way because there is noting constructive about it. Fanserives and sexual stuff are made for horny men who enjoy this stuff (like me)
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2020 10:56 pm Reply with quote
Enjoy away. That wasn't the issue. I was responding to Saury's comment that, "the author at least makes somewhat decent use of it later." In order for that to be true it would "need" to be used constructively, yes?

::sigh:: After reading the review, it looks like I'm going to have to watch 11 after all, dangit. :/
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2020 12:39 am Reply with quote
Well, I for one will stick to the reviews. Not interested enough to endure the harassment to find out more. And for fans, it turns out Plunderers is a story so great that it can't be told properly in just 12 ep. This might be the first and longest "worst of 2020"...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3