• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: BOFURI: I Don't Want to Get Hurt, so I'll Max Out My Defense.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Scream Man

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2020 6:08 am Reply with quote
this show is just hysterical. I love every frame of it.

I hope we get a few more amazingly animated fights like we did at the front end of the series, but Maple being Maple is just awesome anyway Smile

I dont think its been mentioned in the reviews, but I love the way the NPCs more or less ignore what she is saying. Like they have all the technology for these amazing VR worlds, but still cant figure out how to give "real" life to the NPCs Smile My favorite is the homeless guy near the end Smile
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2020 2:11 am Reply with quote
^This is supposed to be a "bad" game so it makes (hilarious) sense that instead of using AI programs for the NPCs like modern high-budget games use, they use "dumb" scripts.

Still loving this show and glad the writers aren't resting on their laurels and just making this a fuwa-fuwa (wooly!) slice of life show. Actual strategy at work and some serious threats from other players, including the terminally smug Frederica. Great to see so far no disposable characters. Sally is awesome and more than a little scary as a PKer...
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2020 3:13 am Reply with quote
Hiroki not Takuya wrote:
^This is supposed to be a "bad" game so it makes (hilarious) sense that instead of using AI programs for the NPCs like modern high-budget games use, they use "dumb" scripts.

I think the first update mentioned included an update to the monster AI so that they could run rather than helplessly keep ramming into someone like Maple in a way that actually hurts them.

It isn't like fully realized MMO game AI that can respond on a dime is relatable. I like how Maple is well aware of the limitations they have in interaction, and still plays her part and treats them like people.
Kaylee Smerbeck

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2020 12:36 am Reply with quote
Are they actually girlfriends? gonna be odd for me to watch this after playing a ton of ff14
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2020 11:09 am Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
...It isn't like fully realized MMO game AI that can respond on a dime is relatable....
Yes, I was also thinking of pointing out how the problems with NWO is a cute and smart way narratively to both poke fun at games that aren't the best (which is very relatable) and serve as a foil for Maple. Unlike Infinite Dendrogram where the AI are indistinguishable from players, used narratively to set up a major plot element when the "tians" are the preferred target for killers rather than players. Because, where is the fun in killing players who just come back to life?
Dirtyshadow

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2020 7:48 am Reply with quote
So was it the anime artists choice, or is it part of the story, that Kaeda (Maple) before she even started playing the game had a stuff toy on her table that looks just like one of the Admins/Game Masters?

Stuff toy (~1:00 in Episode 1)
Admin (~17:30 in Episode 4)
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2020 3:31 pm Reply with quote
Dirtyshadow wrote:
So was it the anime artists choice, or is it part of the story, that Kaeda (Maple) before she even started playing the game had a stuff toy on her table that looks just like one of the Admins/Game Masters?

oh boy, that just gives more fuel to the "one of the admins is related to maple and that is why she has so much good luck" theory.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2020 4:14 pm Reply with quote
What happened in the second half of episode 10 was sort of what I expected Maple Tree to do in the first place... and that's not what "plan B" means, it should have been "phase B" or "phase 2" instead... but

BUT. What I expected was, once a day, Maple using [atrocity] to walk guild to guild collecting orbs while the masses fail to do any damage to her. Would that be exciting or thrilling? It would be Godzilla and it's what I expected since I first saw [atrocity].

The show's saving it but I don't think it's for a one on one duel.
Unless someone else also has [atrocity].
That could work too...
Anneyuno1

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2020 9:30 pm Reply with quote
There is no reason why this anime deserves such good reviews. The episode begins with this big explanation about how their strategy is to prey upon and farm helpless beginners and knock them out of the game, framed as "woe is us" because one of them… just one of them… gets a bit winded from ruining hundreds of people's games. Then they're finally confronted by people who can pose even slight resistance and it's the end of the goddamned world… despite the "good guys" then proceeding to steamroll them, bring everyone back from their loss, and march right up to facetank everyone else.

These are not people to cheer, here the action usually consists of one side dominating the other side, so it’s not exactly exciting to watch, and any even slim pretext that this was some kind of satire was completely absent since we're now trying to pretend that this is a grand finale. These are petty entitled jackasses. Even Superman has to struggle against the random dude whose power is "has a gun that shoots pleasantly warm and fluffy quilts." At least have some people who figured out that she can be incapacitated, or use percentage-based attacks, or just run away. You can't have the characters not just act like, but actually be remorseless villains and then say "Oh, but we're actually not doing well on the scoreboard, and one of us is a little tired" the problem is in the writing that is dead in this series.
Covnam

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2020 11:37 pm Reply with quote
"shimbo"?
Dirtyshadow

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2020 8:34 am Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:
The show's saving it but I don't think it's for a one on one duel.
Unless someone else also has [atrocity].
That could work too...
I think they are waiting for all of Holy Sword to steam roll them and push Maple to use it.

I would of liked it to maybe be a bit smarter and maybe Sally suggest Maple to never ever use any of here Ultimates in public broadcasted events, cause she got nerfed the last time she showed off. Giving a reason she doesn't use it beside the cooldown.
Nojay

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2020 6:45 am Reply with quote
Covnam wrote:
"shimbo"?

"SHIeld biMBO", a reference to the blonde "angel" form of Maple, I think, in contrast to the black-armoured genocidal walking slaughterhouse who laughs as she kills and kills and kills (also Maple, of course).
MiloTheFirst

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2020 7:10 am Reply with quote
Dirtyshadow wrote:

maybe it just came in a bundle with the game, in the same frame you can see she had also already taken the helmet out of the box and was placed in a table. it isn't strange for collectible such as OST discs, art books and specially stuffed toys to be bundled with games, and while it would certainly be out of character for a first time gamer to buy a special edition lets remember she also had to buy the console and dive gear so throwing a free company mascot stuffed doll in the box wouldn't be out of the question for a game-console package
MiloTheFirst

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2020 7:30 am Reply with quote
I don't think anyone brought this up yet but could it be that this show is taking the piss at specific Light novels, I only ever read the first volume of Arifureta but wasn't that guy's schtick that he became OP by eating the mobs and therefore absorbing their skilss? Which Maple also did. also while the anime didn't explore it In the shield hero novels one of the first shield skill trees that Naofumi maxed out was the one related with venomous bugs which in turn gave him Poison immunity early on, which Maple also did. there might have been other jabs at Isekai titles I haven't Watch/read, have you guys notice some?
Yuvelir

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2020 5:45 pm Reply with quote
I was mildly bothered by the Mai and Yui fight.
That they, being so low AGI, had trouble with a player specialized in that makes sense. What doesn't make so much sense is that despite having Maple-insanity levels of STR, the one hit they did land didn't outright finish the guy as his was the kind of build that can't really take a hit.
They should have just allowed them to get that victory, they had earned it and their defeat didn't really make any difference other than having Maple be the one to save the day again (as satisfyingly gruesome as her killing choice was).

They probably could have also addressed how they almost lost a lot of progress because everyone on defense except those two decided to abandon their posts to have some fun, but it doesn't really matter.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5