• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Final Fantasy VII Remake Producer Wants to Do FFV Next

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
El Hermano

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2020 5:10 pm Reply with quote
KabaKabaFruit wrote:
It's bad enough that the game never got a proper SNES release on account of Squaresoft USA not knowing how to localize the game with Ted Woolsey infamously saying that the game was "not accessible enough to the average gamer" (whatever the hell THAT means).

They probably thought the job system was too complex for Americans. These are the people who made the insultingly trivial Mystic Quest for US audiences and removed each of the characters job abilities in the US version of FF4, in addition to greatly lowering the difficulty to the point of near impossible to lose.
SejinPK

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2020 6:02 pm Reply with quote
AntiKuro wrote:
I think Square still owns the rights to Gears. I always find it a little confusing because there is 3 different Xeno Series, and I swear I read a long while back that Blade is a spiritual successor because Square still owns the rights to Gears.

From what little I played and know of Saga, it seemed to be pretty clearly connected to Gears in terms of story/themes/ideas (IIRC, isn't it a prequel series?). I've only seen a few bits of gameplay from Blade, but it seemed totally different. Does it also work with similar ideas to Gears, or expand on/explore other facets of its ideas?

In addition to the rights, I think for a satisfying remake they'd need to have the main creative staff who worked on Xenogears back. I dunno if they're all still working, and/or still working for Square.
ZelosZoidberg

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2020 6:36 pm Reply with quote
^

It's possible. Xenoblade 2 revealed near the ending that spoiler[there are multiple universes (with Xenoblade 1's ending happening at the same time as 2's was ending).] And then we have have Xenoblade X which while not the best story left hints spoiler[of a bridge between Xenosaga and Xenogears and left on a HUGE [expletive] cliffhanger.]

It would not surprise me if they are all connected in a Multiverse theory akin to Dragonball.

[Edit]: Added spoilers. (And try to cut down on nested quotes.) Errinundra.
AntiKuro

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2020 7:03 pm Reply with quote
^

Going off of that I think there is also images and items used in the game that reference Xenogears. Specifically I think the Zohar kind of looks like Mythra and Pyra core crystal and the Conduit is inspired by the Zohar.

There are definitely theories out there how all of the games are connected, or references each other if you search.

In terms to this topic itself, so I'm not off-top, I'm actually really surprised they aren't thinking about a FF6 Remake. In terms of popularity I'd rank it either right at the same as 7, or maybe higher.

Edit: I don't know if anything is in Xenoblade Chronicles, but with them being out the new version of it this year on the Switch and expanding areas I wouldn't be surprised if they added references or images to Xenogears.
Vanadise

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2020 12:06 am Reply with quote
AntiKuro wrote:
In terms to this topic itself, so I'm not off-top, I'm actually really surprised they aren't thinking about a FF6 Remake. In terms of popularity I'd rank it either right at the same as 7, or maybe higher.

I love FF6 -- it's my favorite FF game -- but it's not even close to 7 in terms of popularity. 6 sold about 3 million copies on the SNES (which, to be fair, is still a phenomenal number) and 7 sold over 10 million on the PS1. It's a little harder to compare numbers if you include ports and bundles, but 7 still has a whole series of spinoff games, movies, stage plays, and concerts, and 6 has nothing of the sort.

Anyway, after the FF4 DS remake, I was surprised we didn't get similar remakes for 5 and 6. I'd be interested in seeing a modern remake of 5, but I'm not sure that doing it in the same style as 7 would really be doing it any favors. 5 is really a pretty goofy, lighthearted game that doesn't take itself too seriously. I suppose we'll see how it goes, though.
Saku-dono

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2020 8:56 pm Reply with quote
Kitase should go back to directing instead of just producing FF new titles/remakes. Tabata and Nomura are insanely overrated at this point.

While I'm a fan of FFV, I agree to some that it should not get a remake. It was already good as it is, and if you claim you are a fan of FF series but you can't take the old style gameplay and graphics, then stop right there. Stop deluding yourself into one.

Still, don't get me wrong. I'm all for remakes as long as it respects the old style and not just throw an overhaul on graphics and rtwp gameplay. I have low desire on VIIR, but I'm pretty sure I'm gonna play it too.
KabaKabaFruit

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2020 9:31 pm Reply with quote
El Hermano wrote:
They probably thought the job system was too complex for Americans. These are the people who made the insultingly trivial Mystic Quest for US audiences and removed each of the characters job abilities in the US version of FF4, in addition to greatly lowering the difficulty to the point of near impossible to lose.

I'm going to call BS on the whole "job system being too complex" argument. RPGs in general were already complex enough as it was that only those with special appreciation for them could understand and buy. Otherwise, the original Final Fantasy should've flopped spectacularly. Why should an added perk like the job system be any more of a deterrent, especially when D&D was all about assigning jobs to characters? I just can't look at this in retrospect any more than a classic case of "politics over common sense" that plagued Squaresoft USA at the time.

Don't even get me started on the whole nerfing of Final Fantasy IV becoming Final Fantasy II with all the extra abilities being stripped and making key scenes in game absolutely senseless. The head honchos at Squaresoft USA still deserve a kick to the butt for that one. And I'm speaking as one of the few people out there who still thinks that Final Fantasy VII on PS1 should've been released as Final Fantasy IV in the U.S. originally.

Saku-dono wrote:
While I'm a fan of FFV, I agree to some that it should not get a remake. It was already good as it is, and if you claim you are a fan of FF series but you can't take the old style gameplay and graphics, then stop right there. Stop deluding yourself into one.

I disagree. Today's gamers aren't going to be all that interested in playing retro 90s titles unless it's out of curiosity. Remaking games helps keep them relevant for a new generation and it's extra money in the company's pocket.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3