• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Interspecies Reviewers

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2020 3:22 pm Reply with quote
CatSword wrote:
Also makes Funimation look even more ridiculous for pulling this.

Actually, compared to Amazon, even they seem somewhat reasonable. Amazon recently banned a seller's Hatsune Miku and K-ON's Tsumugi figures on charges of promoting child exploitation;
https://twitter.com/princetrunks/status/1235675524330123271
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2020 10:17 am Reply with quote
bennyl wrote:
I don't know Japanese well enough to know if the line "however, the smell was not to die for" was a literal translation or not, but A plus to whomever wrote that. Also, this is the second time I have wondered, do the Japanese consider zombies and Frankenstein's monster to be the same thing, or is it just a gap in translation, or is the difference is just understood visually? I know technically they are the same thing at the most basic level, but if you said "there's a zombie", I'm not expecting to see a Frankenstein's monster.

The creators like this one and the Monster Musume guy go further by considering that zombie flesh rots so sentient zombies would replace parts. The biggest difference would be scarring as Frankenstein is all living flesh made from dead flesh while zombies are dead and would only have stitches as their body parts would never graft.
At the most basic level, one's dead and the other's alive.

My reaction to the episode: Zombie lubrication. Is that enough or should I go into details to what I mean? I also question the drops of liquid on dead bodies. Also, the undead girls shouldn't be panting... unless faking a living state alongside an orgasm was part of the joke. Then again, I don't question what's keeping the skeleton together so maybe I'm just being flesh biased.

Line from the show: "Her pen name's Bi Bananan. So she swings both ways."
... no, it should mean she masturbates by BLANK and BLANK. If it was an Incubus named Bi Bananan, the picture the name paints would be more obvious, right? I don't think she has a BLANK so putting "Bi" in connection to a banana...
And I am thinking way too hard on this series.

"And now recruiting new actresses (of all genders) for Succubus Films".
But this show makes it so necessary. This sentence is a discussion in itself, isn't it? Did the translation mean "species" or was the mistake by Bi or was the sentence delivered as intended?
ItAintEazy

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2020 3:43 pm Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:
Line from the show: "Her pen name's Bi Bananan. So she swings both ways." ... no, it should mean she masturbates by BLANK and BLANK.

Just so we're clear, Stunk did say 二刀流 (nitouryuu) which according to Wikipedia refers to either dual wielding of swords, playing both pitcher and outfielder in baseball, or swinging both ways in terms of sexual preference.

With that clue in mind, the name of the director can be read as "bai NA bananan." If "na" is the particle placed after the adjective, then "bai" can be translated as "bi" not "by."

Quote:
"And now recruiting new actresses (of all genders) for Succubus Films".
But this show makes it so necessary. This sentence is a discussion in itself, isn't it? Did the translation mean "species" or was the mistake by Bi or was the sentence delivered as intended?

The operative phrase of that line is 性別問わず (seibetsu towazu) meaning "regardless of sex/gender." We know that Elza presents at least one key male trait, so the translation stands.
GhostD

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2020 11:23 am Reply with quote
Demia's place is the ultimate guilty pleasure and wish fulfillment. Anything goes other than doing it outside and in public. And if what Crim says is true then the next time you come back its almost like no time has passed since you last met as she'll remember everything. What Id give to go to a place like that if it existed.
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2020 7:37 am Reply with quote
Episode 10; The plot is picking up, and we sure get to know a few things about Kanchal. What species the mystery guy who shows at the end is shouldn't be too hard to guess if you give it a little thought...
JaffaOrange

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2020 9:00 pm Reply with quote
It was inevitable but this series finally crossed into ethically questionable territory...

...by blatantly breaching the data privacy of consumers.
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2020 9:00 pm Reply with quote
IMO there are two other angles, Demia is single handedly driving the tourism in said castle/town/city? (all those inns and meals/booze are not included in the fee) and she also is running an information gathering network (it is no news that even IRL when hiring a prostitute for less time, after a quickie many males are interested in a sympathetic ear, anyone remembers Matahari?) and she does not need to ask other people if there was any juicy gossip.

IMO she could use her magic to change her appearence to please the specific tastes of customers, but that definitively would break all other succu-joints, why go the the same old park when for the same price you can do Disneyland?
encrypted12345

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2020 10:24 pm Reply with quote
JaffaOrange wrote:
It was inevitable but this series finally crossed into ethically questionable territory...

...by blatantly breaching the data privacy of consumers.

We laugh about it now, but think about what ethical horrors could be wrought if men's sperm could be perfectly preserved and stored without consent.
kinghumanity

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2020 10:31 pm Reply with quote
Zel got the best deal.

5k for three days worth of postgraduate, advanced, academic tutoring material is a complete bargain.
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2020 12:39 am Reply with quote
kinghumanity wrote:
Zel got the best deal.

I could be wrong, but I think this is a reference to D&D (not AD&D) and elves as a class. Back then elves could go up to 10th level and after that they would need to seek a high level human to teach them either advanced combat or magic skills.
Covnam

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2020 2:10 am Reply with quote
I believe they said when any food is ingested (and anything else...) it's magically transported away at that time, rather than when the clone dissipates.

During the explanation I couldn't help wondering how the memory of these copies work. Does Demia experience everything her clones do, so that's how the clones know what's been done, or does she just check in or do they have shared memory or is there some kind of database storing everything (for returning customers) or what O_o
alielle3

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2020 4:13 am Reply with quote
Manga reader here...I really thought this would be a 2 part episode! They skipped over a lot of the centaur scenes which could have filled half an episode easy. I really hope we get a season 2 but if they are rushing now to get to what is already there then that may be an indication it wont' happen. Sad
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2020 4:59 am Reply with quote
Quote:
The only negative is that the clone's appearance is a constant, so if Demia isn't the customer's preferred physical type then the customer is just out of luck there.

It's a good point but not one that would come up in the Reviewers as Demia physically matches all their points. [blinks] HS, she cold reads them doesn't she? The copy goes through a standard set of comments and responds accordingly to her clients responses like an assessment.

I'm trying to think of a way how that couldn't be seen as being evil but it's very hard. From the solo perspective, it's the ideal experience but seen from an outsider's POV, it's 100% manipulation, an assembly line of concocted responses...

The culmination of which has to be done in private. Of course it would.
I think Stunk kept fighting it, he did not want to give the experience a ten but in the end, he couldn't convince himself that the tailor made experience wasn't exactly what he would want.

The only real question is why Demia would use her own body but if she's a master of psychology then I'd say it's a matter of conditioning. "Look at me! I'm harmless because you associate me with being subservient!" It's a good first step in world domination...
Nom De Plume De Fanboy
Subscriber
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2020 1:32 pm Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:

[blinks] HS, she cold reads them doesn't she? The copy goes through a standard set of comments and responds accordingly to her clients responses like an assessment.

I'm trying to think of a way how that couldn't be seen as being evil but it's very hard. From the solo perspective, it's the ideal experience but seen from an outsider's POV, it's 100% manipulation, an assembly line of concocted responses...

What prostitutes and retail Pro's of all kinds have always done, I'm afraid. The nicety is to not come off as cold sounding, but very the speech's tone and timing to make it sound, um, "personable?" Sad

I know I always hate it when I'm dealing with somebody in a formal situation, like a government clerk or somebody, and they start to sound like a robot because they've had to deal with the same situation so many times. They can't help it, I know, but it is still kind of creepy.
encrypted12345

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2020 2:37 pm Reply with quote
So far, it seems like they are skipping chapter 22 (by incorporating the world building of that chapter and skipping the centaur sex) and doing chapter 23 and 25 for episode 11 (two chapters kind of light on the sex, but also kind of thematically linked, so it makes sense). I could see them either ending with chapter 24 and 26 or skip 24 by glossing over the minor plot details that it gives while ending with chapter 26 and 27. Adapting 24 would let the last episode have the weirdest sex while adapting 27 is a more fitting conclusion, sonI'm fine either way. That said, if they do skip 24, I hope it becomes an OVA.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 12 of 13