• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
PR: Bandai Visual USA New High-Definition Title Announcement: Yukikaze

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rankothefiremage

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 12:01 pm Reply with quote
I don't have a Blu-ray player.......... but honestly 150? that's the cost of an old Geneon 8 dvd 26 episode boxed set.

I got the Older Bandai Ent collector's set for 23.99. Even with High Def stuff, why would i spend 6 times what i could for the same basic thing?

-Gabe
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Randall Miyashiro

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 3:16 am Reply with quote
The bigger question is why should I spend that much and wait for BVUSA since I can just buy the already released edition for about the same price from Japan now. Honestly I don't see the point of wiating for BVUSA's US releases when they are at the same price as their Japanese equivalent versions that also have subs and dubs.

There are already a number of people at AnimeonDVD forums who received their copies. It appears that the image is upscaled from the standard definition source.

Quote:
The show was animated for 480 in mind and was done digitally. I don't believe there is much they can do to get more detail out of it, other than up scale it, which they've done.

It DOES look better than the DVD; the DVD isn't quite as "clear," for lack of a better term, but that's probably more because of a higher bit rate than anything else.

It's a pristine picture, to be sure, but it's not of the difference of say, Honneamise on DVD vs Blu-Ray; there's no more detail to squeeze from it. It looks damn nice, but not a huge improvement over DVD.

Quote:

I scanned to the same scenes on the BD set and the DVD and what I can say is the picture doesn't contain any extra detail on the BD set over the DVD set. It is a clearer picture and the sound is higher quality, but there is no more detail to be had on the BD.

Quote:

Damn good. I compared it half heartedly to the DTS DVDs from Bandai and I have to say the difference is subtle, but noticeable.

I'm not buying this upscaled version, especially since I have a really good video processor that handle the upscaling of standard definition very well. Utawarerumono on Blu-ray on the other hand has been getting some nice reviews.
daxomni

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 3:33 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Produced by the critically acclaimed studio Gonzo, Yukikaze has been digitally remastered in High Definition to bring out the intricate details of the original that were previously unattainable!

If I didn't know better, I'd say this was just another press release masquerading as real news. I want the market to do well, just like anybody else, but we don't need this kind of regurgitated sales pitch on a news site. I'd prefer less spin and more real news.
Nobuyuki

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 4:07 am Reply with quote
daxomni wrote:
If I didn't know better, I'd say this was just another press release masquerading as real news.

No, it's just a press release. Wink
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1