Forum - View topic
Biographical Manga

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
thenix

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2020 3:12 pm Reply with quote
I've read several biographical manga (for example I'm reading Blank Canvas right now) and I seem to love the genre. I'm looking for any recommendations people have. I was trying to just look up a list of biographical manga but I can't find any site that uses it as a category. Thanks for any suggestions.
horseradish
SubscriberSubscriber

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2020 6:18 pm Reply with quote
Off the top of my head, there's also

1. Doing Time by Kazuichi Hanawa about his stint in Japanese prison
  2. What is Obscenity? The Story of a Good for Nothing Artist and Her Pussy by Rokudenashiko about her efforts to combat Japanese obscenity laws regarding her art
  3. Trash Market by Tadao Tsuge has an autobiographical piece about growing up in a Tokyo slum
  4. Disappearance Diary by Hideo Azuma which depicts his time as a homeless alcoholic with some fiction mixed in
  5. A Drifting Life by Yoshihiro Tatsumi about his career in manga
  6. The Four Immigrants Manga is an early work about the experiences of four Japanese immigrants living in San Francisco in the early 20th century
  7. Barefoot Gen was loosely based on the mangaka's personal experience living through post-war Hiroshima after the atomic bombing, but he wrote an autobiographic one-shot called Ore wa Mita that was published in English under the title I Saw It
  8. Ichi-F is a memoir by a Fukushima disaster cleanup worker.
  9. My Lesbian Experience With Loneliness is about a young woman's mental health and sexuality
  10. Onward Towards Our Noble Deaths is Shigeru Mizuki's memoir about his war experience in the New Guinea campaign during World War II
  11. Mizuki also wrote Showa: A History of Japan which details his experience and criticisms about Showa Japan
  12. Junji Ito's Cat Diary: Yon & Mu is about Ito's cats and his initial lukewarm reception for them

Hopefully I listed at least one title that you haven't read yet. There's works that are written through a historical figure's perspective like Isabella Bird in Wonderland, which focuses on the British adventurer's time in Japan. Including a biographical/autobiographical tag in the ANN Encyclopedia would be very useful indeed. Jason Thompson's old column, House of 1000 Manga, and his book Manga: The Complete Guide could be scoured for more titles. I might get to that eventually.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1