• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Samurai 8: The Tale of Hachimaru GN 1

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
OddJobsKatsura

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2020 11:17 am Reply with quote
To bad it's getting axed.
BlueBeast33

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2020 12:03 pm Reply with quote
Yeah it got cancelled. The final chapter is later this week. Kind of a shame since Kishimoto said he wanted this series to be "even better than Naruto."
KarlFranz

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2020 1:09 pm Reply with quote
The problems with S8 is it failed to engage the audiences from the start. Having the MC archieve his dream in the first chapter gave the readers no reason to care about the MC and make the series aimless for awhile. Too much exposition and terminology early on also bad, show, don't tell. Finally the art was hard to read, no deep, no shading made the characters blend in with the background. Honestly this would be axed earlier if not for Kishimoto name attach to it.
immblueversion

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2020 1:52 pm Reply with quote
BlueBeast33 wrote:
Yeah it got cancelled. The final chapter is later this week. Kind of a shame since Kishimoto said he wanted this series to be "even better than Naruto."

He tried cramming way too much into too few chapters. I think he misjudged what made Naruto work.
Scion Drake

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2020 3:21 pm Reply with quote
Amazing that it got axed just when the 1st volume comes out.

I feel bad for the people who actually bought this.
JonDoe

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2020 7:08 pm Reply with quote
I don't feel the least bit bad about this thing getting axed. Not when there was far better manga that got cancelled way sooner simply because they didn't have the same name recognition that this thing had. And it sounds like Kishimoto let his fame get to his head. Because in an interview he actually admitted that he knew the beginning of S8 was a mess but was hoping that readers would be willing to stick with it because of his "name value". Talk about resting on your laurels.

Good riddance.
Eddy564

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2020 1:02 am Reply with quote
JonDoe wrote:
I don't feel the least bit bad about this thing getting axed. Not when there was far better manga that got cancelled way sooner simply because they didn't have the same name recognition that this thing had. And it sounds like Kishimoto let his fame get to his head. Because in an interview he actually admitted that he knew the beginning of S8 was a mess but was hoping that readers would be willing to stick with it because of his "name value". Talk about resting on your laurels.

Good riddance.

You’re making stuff up. And which titles do you know that got axed way too early and are supposedly better then S8? Just curious.
BlueAlf

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2020 1:25 am Reply with quote
IMO the lack of shading in the artwork was its biggest problem. It REALLY made things hard to read. I actually liked the story too.
Flü

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2020 9:53 am Reply with quote
Eddy564 wrote:
JonDoe wrote:

You’re making stuff up. And which titles do you know that got axed way too early and are supposedly better then S8? Just curious.

More recently? The Last Saiyuki comes to mind. Great series that took a bit too much time at first but then had a fantastic short arc centered around the female lead and a very graceful ending, all things considered.
It deserved WAY more than 23 chapters.
As for older series... Golem Hearts, Kagamigami, Stealth Symphony, Red Sprite... I'm sure everyone has their favorite examples, lol.

But, honestly, most series are better than S8. It's a complete trainwreck, with rare bright spots.
D.E.D.E

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2020 10:50 am Reply with quote
Flü wrote:
Eddy564 wrote:
JonDoe wrote:

More recently? The Last Saiyuki comes to mind. Great series that took a bit too much time at first but then had a fantastic short arc centered around the female lead and a very graceful ending, all things considered.
As for older series... Golem Hearts, Kagamigami, Stealth Symphony, Red Sprite... I'm sure everyone has their favorite examples, lol.

But, honestly, most series are better than S8. It's a complete trainwreck, with rare bright spots.

Stealth Symphony getting canned was an absolute travesty. Completely agree with the rest of the examples. S8 wasn't bad for me per say, but Kishimoto overloaded it way too early in the story.
JonDoe

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2020 3:37 pm Reply with quote
[quote="Flü"]
Eddy564 wrote:
JonDoe wrote:

This dude right here sums it up nicely. S8 was a trainwreck. Good riddance.
BlueAlf

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2020 8:47 pm Reply with quote
Speaking of axed SJ series, I suddenly feel obligated to mention Psyren. People should NEVER forget about Psyren. Psyren deserves another chance.
Flü

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2020 9:58 pm Reply with quote
BlueAlf wrote:
Speaking of axed SJ series, I suddenly feel obligated to mention Psyren. People should NEVER forget about Psyren. Psyren deserves another chance.

Psyren was FANTASTIC and didn't deserve to be cut short during its final arc. Still among my top10 favorite manga.
I only didn't mention it because it at least ran 3 years and thus longer than Samurai8.
dragon695

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2020 2:33 pm Reply with quote
The art had problems, but that really wasn’t the biggest issue. I think, like Togashi, Kishimoto doesn’t really do well with writing girls, especially as love interests. He made a gamble that he could amp up the romantic element this time to appeal to the audience, but it really fell flat. I think the decision to isolate Hyakkimaru early on and force the heroine on him as a power up just sort of felt empty. Why should I care about her beyond as a power up? Just because she’s a girl?

I think another problem was with the relationship with other characters in general. I don’t know exactly why, but I felt like it clicked in Naruto and didn’t in S8. Like others said, maybe he tried to cram too much in the early chapters, so there was less time for them?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1