• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: BOFURI: I Don't Want to Get Hurt, so I'll Max Out My Defense.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2020 12:43 am Reply with quote
While I'm sure there are people that will say the fighting in Ep11 was stupid, boring, etc I'd say it's been a long time since I've been really interested in an anime fight and this was a good one. It has benefited from keeping the full capabilities of Maple's opponents "secret" so I/we are surprised and interested to see what they and she'll do. Personally, I'm rooting for Maple like the "peanut gallery" if for no other reason than to wipe the smirk off Frederica's face...

One fun aspect given that, as some have pointed out, NWO is "broken" (in that players can get some "god-mode" abilities), it can be interesting to see what some OP players can do against other differently-OP players...
Yuvelir

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2020 4:52 am Reply with quote
I loved the direction of this battle. Despite Maple being so broken, it seemed like she could lose at several points... but that was never really a possibility. That petty selfdestruct was specially dramatic butnope, not a scratch lol
Key

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2020 8:38 am Reply with quote
Maple hasn't been seriously pushed in a fight since encountering the hydra in episode 1, so seeing her in some situations where opponents are making things difficult for her (especially exploiting that her impressive defenses don't prevent knockback effects) is giving the series some of its liveliest fights. I also liked seeing the "don't give foes chances to activate their powers" strategies in play, which is something that I've long felt is well-underused in anime battles.

I have no doubt that Maple isn't down for the count here (I am fully expecting that she will pull something out to stalemate the fight), but this should be a worthy final episode coming up.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Nojay

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2020 8:58 am Reply with quote
Yuvelir wrote:
That petty selfdestruct was specially dramatic but nope, not a scratch lol

Maple acquired Bomb Eater a few episodes back. She's pretty much immune to explosive attacks for the same reason she's immune to poisons. Sorry, Mii...
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2020 4:57 pm Reply with quote
Cant' wait until the interviews for maple to say "I got penetrated by paybne, but I enjoyed it", Assuming his strategy is using piercing damage as opossed to mii's knockback one.

Key wrote:
Maple hasn't been seriously pushed in a fight since encountering the hydra in episode 1, so seeing her in some situations where opponents are making things difficult for her (especially exploiting that her impressive defenses don't prevent knockback effects) is giving the series some of its liveliest fights. I also liked seeing the "don't give foes chances to activate their powers" strategies in play, which is something that I've long felt is well-underused in anime battles.

That and shouting wrong skills names, which I am surprised this one also used. I forgot the name where the latest was used, but the guy said something something super kick and as the oponent looked down to block the character threw a punch, which gets a complain by the punched one "why did you say kick if it was a punch!".
Izanagi009

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2020 7:18 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:

I have no doubt that Maple isn't down for the count here (I am fully expecting that she will pull something out to stalemate the fight), but this should be a worthy final episode coming up.

I feel something will happen against Payne and his group that will be fun. It will be interesting to see pvp between players like this

a small thing i also like is Mii "gap moe" with her personality shift. It's Misaka Mikoto's VA doing some really good voice shifting so it's fun and adorable
Kuroi Ren

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2020 2:45 am Reply with quote
This show is just stupid at this point. She was already unrealistically OP with her defense but now she gets dumb Mary Sue power ups.

I don't see what people like about this anime. SMH
Yune Amagiri

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2020 12:34 pm Reply with quote
Season 2 (re)-confirmed ! My favorite arc from the WN will most likely be adapted.
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2020 4:33 pm Reply with quote
To be fair, the guys at payne's guild were nice to Mapple at first too.

Though, a fun thing about this aniem is seeign how it triggers "hardcore" gamers all over the internet; this episode pupt a ncie cap to it by having payne be totally not like them adn isntead be a nice guy, which is what i wished him to be.
Covnam

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2020 5:14 pm Reply with quote
Well that was an entertaining ending. Was that an eva (or similar) reference with all those atrocity clones against the white background?
That 5% permanent stat boost for the winners is completely broken though for a game with pvp...

Looking forward to season 2 =)
Yuvelir

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2020 5:17 pm Reply with quote
The kaijuu onslaught scene had more references than I could count. Also, it was funny to see the horrors and screams of agony that Maple inspired juxtaposted with the cheery and cute hummings of the montage theme and ED.
I feel sorry for those 4 guilds that could have gotten some rewards by occupying slots 7-10 but were kicked out during the culling. Oops.

maximilianjenus wrote:
To be fair, the guys at payne's guild were nice to Mapple at first too.

Though, a fun thing about this aniem is seeign how it triggers "hardcore" gamers all over the internet; this episode pupt a ncie cap to it by having payne be totally not like them adn isntead be a nice guy, which is what i wished him to be.

It was surprising to see how much of a good sport Payne was despite being so used to uncontested victory.
Either by being hyper-competitive or too fabulous an mannered, I expected him to be a payne in the ass.

Covnam wrote:
Well that was an entertaining ending. Was that an eva (or similar) reference with all those atrocity clones against the white background?
That 5% permanent stat boost for the winners is completely broken though for a game with pvp...

Looking forward to season 2 =)

These massive buffs they keep getting take me back to RO times and how important a 2% increase was, and how minuscule yet limited the effects of guild skills were.
CrimsonDX

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2020 7:02 pm Reply with quote
Probably my favorite anime of the season. Can't wait for season 2.
FlamingFirewire

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:09 pm Reply with quote
Wow - that was a whole lot of dumb fun all said and done. It was always fun seeing what shenanigans were going to happen week to week.

Thank god there's going to be a second season Smile
Dirtyshadow

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2020 4:59 am Reply with quote
Yuvelir wrote:
I was mildly bothered by the Mai and Yui fight.
That they, being so low AGI, had trouble with a player specialized in that makes sense. What doesn't make so much sense is that despite having Maple-insanity levels of STR, the one hit they did land didn't outright finish the guy as his was the kind of build that can't really take a hit.
They should have just allowed them to get that victory, they had earned it and their defeat didn't really make any difference other than having Maple be the one to save the day again (as satisfyingly gruesome as her killing choice was).

The one-hit kills kind of started bothering me, most MMOs have large hitpoints and spell rotations. Everyone the main characters hit (Flame Emporers, Knights and Maple Tree), dies instantly but they can take multiple hits... everyones OP.

I did wish Dred was stuck to the wall permanently by repeated knock-backs from synchronised aftershocks would of shown growth, then had to Godspeed to get behind them... then moan that he had to burn the cool-down.

Kind of Mai and Yui get better character development rather than just being secondary characters, I think the anime has to gloss over a lot of details you would normally get in a "spell" description or "combat" play by play. I like how they can one shot most average players by throwing cannonballs. Have to wait till Season 2 to see what Kurome gets as a unique (which is what the chat eludes too) and if the twins get something too.
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2020 5:50 pm Reply with quote
Having mixed feelings for S2 since they told a complete story this season, what can they do to top it? If they just do the same it'll become stupid and boring like the guy below thinks and I'd hate if that happened. Not to mention that ruining the "brand" they established (which is great and original).
Kuroi Ren wrote:
This show is just stupid at this point. She was already unrealistically OP with her defense but now she gets dumb Mary Sue power ups.

I don't see what people like about this anime. SMH
I'd refer you to the comments (like those above) and reviews since they say a lot but, to put it in a nutshell, one reason I and like-minded fans like this show because it defies game/isekai convention, presents a fresh take on modern gaming and everything associated with it and makes fun of it. I'd also refer you to Mother's Basement's analysis of this (no paid endorsement, just says what I'd say in depth). The meta-humor really makes it...If you don't get it after all that, you won't... Cool

A thought relative to the mangka's character inspiration based on a recent culinary experience is that Maple flavor in food is actually a very strong one but seems mild because it likely saturates the taste receptors. Surprisingly, one can taste it over other very strong flavors such as clove and adding things like sharp cheese only enhances the Maple flavor and masks the cheese flavor. If you try to add a savory element by adding a good amount of garlic, you end up with an "atrocity" that is practically inedible.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5