• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Bleach Manga's 'Thousand Year Blood War Arc' Gets Anime

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Somer-_-

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2020 8:10 pm Reply with quote
I hope they make some changes cause that arc went downhill fast.
Stiles

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2020 8:18 pm Reply with quote
Well holy crap. Somebody get Johnny Yong Bosch on the phone.
Takizawa-Shinzou

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2020 8:26 pm Reply with quote
This would be more exciting news if it wasn't announced 2 days ago.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2020 8:29 pm Reply with quote
Somer-_- wrote:
I hope they make some changes cause that arc went downhill fast.

I don't know what they could change to fix it that wouldn't mean completely altering the entire plot of the arc, considering its central flaw was the same as the last stretches of the Arrancar arc: the ridiculously overpowered villain. Of course there were other big flaws, especially the dozens upon dozens of plot threads that were dropped and the dozens upon dozens of wasted characters spoiler[and the idiotic ending], but I think even fixing that wouldn't make the overal product better because the villain was just bad, absurdly overpowered and boring.

I guess one thing i'd change is straight up skip the part where spoiler[the villains steal the shinigamis' bankais because although that made them initially threatening, in the end it was solved relatively easily, the whole "mixing of shinigami bankais with Hollow fragments" added nothing to the story and was never mentioned, and it turned out that the villains' actual powers were already too OP for the shinigami, so that mini-conflict felt like pointless padding]
lossthief
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2020 8:30 pm Reply with quote
Takizawa-Shinzou wrote:
This would be more exciting news if it wasn't announced 2 days ago.

Technically it wasn't - the announcement was in the latest issue of Weekly Shonen Jump and somebody post photos/scans from a copy before they went on sale. This is going off the official announcement from the website and livestream to actually announce it, and the print version wasn't supposed to be released until Monday in Japan.
Zhou-BR

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2020 8:37 pm Reply with quote
I might have my problems with this final arc, but I'm happy that it's getting animated. A series that sustained a 15-year-long serialization while competing with some of Shonen Jump's biggest hits of all time deserves a complete adaptation.
Sobe

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2020 8:40 pm Reply with quote
One of my favorite husbands is getting a "to be continued"!!! I'm so happy! Twisted Evil It's not bara let alone yaoi but I'm happy regardless because BNHA is the only action anime I watch these days and I need more! That's not to say BNHA is lackluster. I just want more of a good thing.

I didn't read the Bleach manga but I was so disappointed with how the last arc of the Bleach anime ended. The last arc was a spoiler[nice ending] given the circumstances and I can definitely agree with the argument of stopping on a spoiler[happy ending]. However I felt it left out so much especially given the climax of spoiler[Aizen's] arc only to be followed by an spoiler[underinflated plot] for Ichigo spoiler[to regain his powers.]

I wonder how many episodes it'll get. I know we're way ahead of ourselves here but I hope this is a sign of things to come from Bleach. I really want to see the entire story (not just the manga) completely fleshed out in anime form to the very end.

I didn't think we'd ever hear from Bleach ever again given how the live action did. This reminds me a bit of how Fruba came back with a remake. I'm not saying a remake is necessary but I wouldn't say no to it after all manga arcs are fully animated.
danpmss

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2020 8:47 pm Reply with quote
All of my yes <3

Most of the problems with this arc were actually the glacial weekly publishing pacing (much like One Punch Man and I Am a Hero, but to a lessen degree), which had too many fighting panels and not much progression in each to justify it being a full chapter (though, much like those, marathoning the tankobons was a blast otherwise).

An anime adaptation can blaze through those without losing much momentum nor content whatosever luckily, so the other problem would be the plot points that were one by one being solved, to just then suddenly be dropped hard with an axe and rushed to no believe to end the manga in 5 or so chapters (the contrast in pacing is like day and night, and considering that Kubo's previous predictions would go up to 100 or so other chapters, it was obvious that his health, his overall reception on Jump/editorial struggle shenenigans (not the sales, they were still some of the highest in the magazine to the very end, easily topping 400k copies sold per volume up to the last year) brought the series to a miserable end.

So I guess what we can hope is that this anime do justice to his original vision for the final part of the series and not just to be a missed opportunity. Hell, if it was a full remake I would love to see a distilled version of the Arrancar arc, which was supposed to be half of its length and much for Kubo's frustration he had to add more stuff to it because he was demanded to by the Jump personnel (and he actually rambled about it in the tankobons).

Either way, I'm just happy to see Bleach coming back and Kubo coming back full force as well, and I hope they fix that horribly messy ending for the series.
Scion Drake

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2020 8:53 pm Reply with quote
We did it boys, we've done the impossible, we've reached the promised land.
ZetMoon80

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2020 8:58 pm Reply with quote
I'm so hyped about this, not a big fan of the last story arc but it's not the moment to keep shittin on the series. Will be Pierrot working in the project? I think that despite all criticism and their fillers, Bleach was an overall good work, so although it's most likely that they will continue with this season, I've read some rumors that another studio will take the project, someone listed Burn the Witch's studio Colorido, I hope at least they keep the same staff from the original series' regardless the studio.
AceLuffy4Ever

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2020 9:07 pm Reply with quote
Lets hope that Viz doesnt take forever to dub this
jr240483

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2020 9:09 pm Reply with quote
dont get too happy. its not guaranteed that VIZMedia or the original cast will return. a lot has occurred including the death of urahara's VA! and even if that was the case, its possible they might pull a inuyasha final act on us and release the arc on adultswim years later!

THAT WOULD SERIOUSLY SUCK ON SO MANY LEVELS!

also, people said the same thing for fairy tail's alverez arc and DBZ's buu arc but had high praise for the anime version!

so dont count your chicken eggs before they hatch just yet!!!

i just hope that it doesnt take THIS LONG FOR HUNTER X HUNTER TO RESTART ITS ANIME VERSION!

Mad
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
danpmss

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2020 9:12 pm Reply with quote
#836735 wrote:
I'm so hyped about this, not a big fan of the last story arc but it's not the moment to keep shittin on the series. Will be Pierrot working in the project? I think that despite all criticism and their fillers, Bleach was an overall good work, so although it's most likely that they will continue with this season, I've read some rumors that another studio will take the project, someone listed Burn the Witch's studio Colorido, I hope at least they keep the same staff from the original series' regardless the studio.

Pierrot's adaptation was amazing if you discount the crazy amount of flashbacks and recaps + the clearly non-canon filler arcs in-between canon content (which basically means they didn't fudge with the story whatsoever with the sole exception of adding some minor scenes with characters from the Bount arc here and there on canon ones).

Fans dealt with that just fine with a Kai project some years ago using video editing, and so could Pierrot if they really wanted to, and the experience would be as nice of an adaptation as you would likely get, overall.

Considering the anime staff in the livestream just now, they are going to be the same people, and that gets my hopes up now that they don't have to worry about filler and padding shenanigans.

But again, the ending was axed, I hope they fix it expanding it the way it was intended to be. Kubo is very close to them production-wise anyway, I bet it wouldn't be a problem unless episode limit issues.
AngryMoM

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2020 9:14 pm Reply with quote
What I'm most excited for is the music. Hopefully Shirō Sagisu returns and can't wait to see the new OP and ED.
Lactobacillus yogurti

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2020 9:19 pm Reply with quote
Oh crap. It's going to be as big a mess as the manga was. Plus, I was never sold on spoiler[IchiHime] as it was... I'm skipping it for the sake of my sanity.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7