• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
IOC Member: 2020 Tokyo Olympics Delayed

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lynx Raven Raide

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2020 9:30 pm Reply with quote
Hoppy800 wrote:
Hopefully the time spent will be used to send the Olympics to London since the IOC won't cancel the games.

...Yeah, that aint going to happen. If anything the UK would be behind Japan in terms of recovery, just timeline wise, plus it would be unfair to Japan given the investment they have put in.
luisedgarf

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2020 9:30 pm Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:
TarutoClown93 wrote:
What a letdown. This should have taken between late August to late September what the hell. Summer Olympics is ongoing every four years since 1896 so if it really takes place in 2021 it'll be an awful breach to the ongoing tradition.

You can't just snap your fingers and host an Olympic Games, and I'm sure there are a massive number of preparations that haven't been able to happen due to the lockdowns. That's true on the athletes' side as well: I know there was a teleconference between the IOC and a large number of athletes, and many of them expressed concerns that they wouldn't have enough time to properly train based on the interruption in their routines. Pushing the Games back until the world has a much better handle on this situation only makes sense, and that probably won't be for several months.

Or years...

And there's the possibility many places will remain unfit for human habitation for decades to come, which probably cause many people to emigrate at any cost outside those places.
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2020 9:44 pm Reply with quote
TarutoClown93 wrote:
What a letdown. This should have taken between late August to late September what the hell. Summer Olympics is ongoing every four years since 1896 so if it really takes place in 2021 it'll be an awful breach to the ongoing tradition.

With all due respect, when the options are delay or risk millions of peoples' health and potentially their lives it's not really a decision.
peno

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2020 11:04 pm Reply with quote
Hoppy800 wrote:
Hopefully the time spent will be used to send the Olympics to London since the IOC won't cancel the games.

To a country which, after Italy, had the worst reaction to the Coronavirus in Europe because Johnson, for weeks, refused that situation is as bad as it is and now he has over 300 deaths and that's just beginning? Yeah, sure. Dream again.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2020 1:04 am Reply with quote
luisedgarf wrote:

Or years...

And there's the possibility many places will remain unfit for human habitation for decades to come, which probably cause many people to emigrate at any cost outside those places.

..."unfit for human habitation"? Just how do you think viruses work, exactly?
jdnation

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2020 1:39 am Reply with quote
The cost are probably related to all the 2020 merchandise and rebranding that needs to be redone. Everything from uniforms to medals probably. They are gonna need the factories and logistics running on normal again. Delaying it a year is the best case scenario.
Alexis.Anagram

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2020 3:17 am Reply with quote
Friendly reminder that the Olympics and their host countries constantly abuse and undermine human rights in the name of glorifying athleticism at any human cost and putting profit before people. They're only pushing these games back because they can't effectively isolate this disease to the poor and disenfranchised.
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2020 6:57 am Reply with quote
This is one costly Olympics season, I´ll tell you that. Nothing of value will be lost if these and crap life the Fifa close forever.
Something something... Akira joke. Oh yeah. The new Akia anime will have to address this, great.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
luisedgarf

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2020 1:11 pm Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:
luisedgarf wrote:

Or years...

..."unfit for human habitation"? Just how do you think viruses work, exactly?

Except this virus seems to likely stay in the air and solid surfaces for hours, and by the looks of it, warmer weather doesn't seem to affect it, unlike with influenza, so many places could likely remain polluted for decades, if not permanently.

Maybe this virus will change the human race forever, and the sooner we accept that things will never be the same again, the sooner we can find a way to fight the virus. That's the sad reality.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2020 6:27 pm Reply with quote
Hoppy800 wrote:

Didn't London already host the 2012 games?

residentgrigo wrote:
This is one costly Olympics season, I´ll tell you that. Nothing of value will be lost if these and crap life the Fifa close forever.
Something something... Akira joke. Oh yeah. The new Akia anime will have to address this, great.

The Olympics are always costly though.
nDroae

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2020 8:58 pm Reply with quote
No informed person would consider that anyway. There are 1,427 new cases in the past day in the UK (8,077 total) versus 65 new cases in the past day in Japan (1,193 total).
https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

Even if the number of cases in Japan (or any potential alternate host country) dropped to zero within a few weeks, it would still be wise to wait until next year for obvious reasons.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2020 1:22 am Reply with quote
luisedgarf wrote:

Except this virus seems to likely stay in the air and solid surfaces for hours, and by the looks of it, warmer weather doesn't seem to affect it, unlike with influenza, so many places could likely remain polluted for decades, if not permanently.

Maybe this virus will change the human race forever, and the sooner we accept that things will never be the same again, the sooner we can find a way to fight the virus. That's the sad reality.

...again, you seem to have no idea how viruses operate and propagate. Viruses have been infecting human beings for as long as there has been human civilization, and many of them have substantially higher mortality rates than SARS-CoV-2 does. Humanity has stuck around. No territory has ever been rendered "uninhabitable" by a virus. Now is this very serious? Absolutely. A large number of people are going to get infected with COVID-19. A substantial percentage of them will become seriously ill and overwhelm the medical systems of many countries. And unfortunately, a significant amount of people will die from the disease. But for better or worse the peak will pass. Treatments will be developed, and in a year to 18 months we'll almost certainly have a viable vaccine. Life will return to normal, at least until the unfortunately-inevitable next pandemic occurs.

You're also spreading some false information. Current reasearch suggests that, like most coronaviruses, SARS-CoV-2 can survive for several hours while airborne, and from several hours to several days on various common surfaces; most statistics I've seen so far suggests 3-4 days as a general working number. That's why it's so important to wash your own hands frequently, cough/sneeze into your elbow, and disinfect surfaces commonly touched by multiple people. There is some preliminary evidence that the spread of COVID-19 is curtailed somewhat by higher heat and humidity, but it's certainly too early to make that determination yet. The best tools we have to fight off this pandemic are what so many local and national governments have been putting into place, albeit many later than they should have: social isolation and banning non-essential travel. That's how you "reduce the peak" and keep critical medical facilities from being overwhelmed until widespread testing is available to help pinpoint the virus's spread.

(Requisite disclaimer that I am not a medical professional, and that you should consult trusted sources like the CDC, WHO, or your healthcare provider for legitimate information.)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2