• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
How old were you when you first started getting into anime?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Polls
View previous topic :: View next topic  

How old were you when you first started getting into anime?
Spam magnet
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
<10
25%
 25%  [ 81 ]
10-25
66%
 66%  [ 209 ]
26-40
5%
 5%  [ 16 ]
41-55
2%
 2%  [ 7 ]
56+
0%
 0%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 314

Chiibi

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 10:51 am Reply with quote
I was either 12 or 13 after a girl in my art class told me to watch Sailor Moon on Cartoon Network. Well, she had trading cards and I thought it looked neat.

And I fell. I fell hard.
GetMagnaCarter

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 3:00 pm Reply with quote
I had a gradually developing interest over a number of years.
I always emjoyed animation and saw some Robotech, Castle in the Sky
tried some translated manga (Akira, area 88, appleseed) and other related works (Dirty Pair)
Eventually, I decided I was interested enough to try a convention in 1992 when I was 26
From that point I was very much a fan

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 6:31 am Reply with quote
Thanks for having here, a few years back I started taking interest in the animation, actually, my elder brother used to watch it and by seeing him I started having this.
This is so wondering that I am having many series now.
falseinfinity

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 12:23 am Reply with quote
The first anime I saw was Pokemon (season 1) in 2nd grade I think.

The first box sets i got were:
DBZ Orange Bricks
Fullmetal Alchemist (Funi DVD)
Samurai Champloo (Geneon DVD)

I never finished watching DB, Z or GT, but I learned the story from reading the Z section of the manga and playing the Budokai games for the PS2
Nacoyi32

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2019 12:54 am Reply with quote
This question reminds me of my teenager. I watched Gintama and it really makes me very happy among so much pressure of the studying. I can even say it is a cure for me. Thanks to this anime. Smile
eikinasai

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2020 8:41 pm Reply with quote
high school the first anime i love is about basketball
shukujo

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2020 4:00 pm Reply with quote
I was 30 yo when I got into anime. Video games, too. It happened because I became unable to work, and have been dealing with serious medical conditions since then. I am 47yo now. According to MAL, I've now seen more than 25,500 episodes of anime, 1125+ series. My currently watching list has 40-50+ items on it every season. I'm grateful for having found anime, I really don't know how I would've gotten thru till now without it. Very Happy
rominause

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2021 7:07 am Reply with quote
I was into Sakura and Vampire princess Miu as a child and now I am 28 and keen on Miyazaki
AnimePops

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2022 9:59 pm Reply with quote
I married an Asian woman while in the Navy and we lived in Japan for the first years of our marriage. My daughter was into anime for all her life. I am a pretty proud geek of a guy, but I never really understood the pull. That was until I watched the right show. Problem was, I was not ever going to be into the sorta anime she was into. One day however I got bored and tried Attack on Titan. A couple years later, and I believe I have now passed her total unique anime's watched. LOL (According to anilist anyways) I think I was 43 or so at that point. It gives us a connection and we enjoy going to conventions (even though I am the wierd old dude) and pass recommendations back and forth.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2022 7:14 am Reply with quote
@AnimePops

Not so old or strange. I was 52 when I started and that was 25 years ago. I now trade information (and loan series) with my wife's grand nephew (her sisters grandson). It is a hobby you can take into retirement. And I'm not the oldest person on these forums.
Hanzo The Razor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2023 9:19 pm Reply with quote
I can remember seeing old anime like Speed Racer and Gigantor as a child and had no idea they came from Japan. We had satellite TV growing up and I would watch the very Adult animes. But when Inuyasha and other shows started coming on Adult Swim I was hooked. I have been to Japan for my job several times and I goto the anime stores, especially the little obscure ones because you can find hidden treasures. Kyoto is full of these little shops. Usually next to pachinko parlors. I am getting older now, but I still love anime.
IchigoSS4

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2023 6:15 am Reply with quote
I think I was 9 the first time I watched a Dragon Ball episode... Those early ones are quite weird lol, so many needlessly suggestive situations... Not that I was able to catch on to them at that age, but still...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Polls All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5