• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: A Certain Scientific Railgun T

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2020 5:27 am Reply with quote
jr240483 wrote:
unfortunately its only a theory at this point since currently right now, both index and railgun are on hiatus due to the health of the author!

No it's not
The Scream Man

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2020 5:58 am Reply with quote
steelmirror wrote:
Stiles wrote:
Another good episode, but I'd like to take a minute to tear down this series' worst character.

Saten's only talents include distributing PED's (the level upper), acting as a vehicle to move the plot along, and getting her friends into undeserved trouble due to her largely irresponsible behavior. Now, I don't necessarily hate Saten, but she is a stupid character, one who would be better served in a true slice-of-life anime and not a battle-action series like To Aru.
I'm not necessarily trying to change your mind here, because this is the internet and nobody ever convinces anyone of anything. Wink But Saten is far and away my favorite character in the franchise, and it isn't even close. She's relatable because she ISN'T special like everyone else, but she tries hard anyway. She had a great character arc in the first season of Railgun, and while she's been basically static since then, that arc was enough to sell me on her character completely.

Like the superhero comic series that seem to have influenced it, the Raildex canon is full of larger-than-life icons who never really feel real or believable to me, usually consisting of a major quirk, a moe charm point, a set of superpowers, and some sort of personal damage that drives their melodrama. Oh, and usually a pretty awesome character design.

That's not really a bad thing, superhero comics are a multibillion dollar industry for a reason. But Saten is a relatively grounded character by those standards, and one whose insecurities and struggles really resonate with me, personally. Sure she isn't in the same weight class as other major characters in the franchise, she isn't even playing the same sport. But she shows up every time to help her friends out anyway, and fanboy that I am I love rooting for her every time.

Besides, the worst character in the franchise is Index.

God, I hate everything about Index.
jr240483

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2020 1:46 am Reply with quote
killjoy_the wrote:

No it's not

actually, theres a news article RIGHT here that states otherwise!

where due to the author's health, the railgun manga would be in a temp hiatus which was the reason why volumes 12 and 13 got held back for so long!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2020 6:00 am Reply with quote
The last Railgun chapter (a special) released just last month - it's a montly manga (and it's obviously way ahead of the anime anyway, which makes it irrelevant to your entire point of "we'll not know this soon"), and the last Index novel released at the start of February. But please, do find this article about the "author's health" that you claim is right here. Unless you somehow think that the anime getting delayed because of the covid-19 means that Kamachi is actually sick, which got JC Staff to stop working on the anime in order to nurse him Laughing
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:06 pm Reply with quote
ep 8 review wrote:
What this doesn't explain is why Misaki has been such an antagonistic ass to Mikoto in the past and yet is suddenly being so considerate of her now; has she been plotting this for a long time and just wanted to make sure Mikoto stayed at a distance?

I get the feeling that she felt threatened by Mikoto and it was a bit more than just not being able to trust her. Scenes like the one from Ep 1 of Railgun S (which was originally in this arc of the manga) seem like she is trying to intimidate by putting up a strong front out of fear. Most of the people in the city who are powerful, either from their ability or their influence, are pretty corrupt and evil (even if some do get redemption arcs).

I think it is also jealousy.
OH&S

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2020 6:11 pm Reply with quote
Theron wrote:
Gensei's stunt with the double is pretty slick, but also predictable when he seemed to get captured too easily, especially when he was seen talking to Xochitl on the phone.

Hold up; that's a completely different character. The person talking to Xochitl is also a member of ... ... MEMBER... He's the Professor that the #2 Kakine swiftly deals with in Index III Episode 5. That said, you're entirely forgiven for not remembering due to how horribly that arc he was in was adapted.

Theron wrote:
Hence that places the current events of this arc after the end of the Oriana Thompson/Stab Sword incident, possibly even the next day but definitely in the gap between episodes 13 and 14 of that season.

From partway through Railgun T Episode 4 onwards, the story is occurring the day after the Stab Sword incident with Oriana. The fireworks that the girls watched were the same that prevented the Croce di Pietro from triggering in Index II Episode 13.
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2020 11:39 am Reply with quote
ep 9 review wrote:
I'm not buying Mikoto being even slightly convincing dressed as a security person; that the other guy seemed more concerned about her being from the wrong unit, rather than how young she looks, flabbergasted me. (But hey, this is a universe where Komoe is a real adult, so. . .)

Yeah... it looked like all of the other guards were adults. There didn't seem to be any student age espers on payroll. I would also expect Gensei's guards to have been shown a list of powerful people that may be out to get him, and I would expect Mikoto should be fairly high on that list.

Then again, it was a setup. Maybe he intentionally hired a 3rd rate security company...
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2020 2:12 pm Reply with quote
spoiler[Last Order passing out is sure to get Accelerator's attention.]Without the Misaka Network supplanting his brain Accel's down for the count.
Calsolum

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2020 2:32 pm Reply with quote
FilthyCasual wrote:
spoiler[Last Order passing out is sure to get Accelerator's attention.]Without the Misaka Network supplanting his brain Accel's down for the count.

I was just about to say that, I got my hopes up that best boy was gonna do something but when he passed out I thought, 'right. he can't even lift a finger without his... cpu? I forget precisely what it is they do but its pretty important, for you know living.

I think this has been the most exciting episode of railgun to date, at least for me, the stakes are finally serious and immediate. That everything in past seasons have culminated to this has me impressed and I wish I'd rewatched the series sometime before this season because there was a lot of fine details that i'd forgotten thinking it wouldn't be relevant.

knowing that this happens during s2 or index or before s3 is disappointing since now I know misaka will be just fine with no visible consequences. I suppose that's just what happens when you write a spin-off that uses the same characters.
However misaki being aleister's favourite was a shocker, I'd always thought it was Touma or Accelerator since I don't recall him ever involving himself(in any of the schemes) with Misaki except for lv6 shift and the sisters but that was all supposed to be for Accelerator's benefit.
Does make me wonder, will this mean that she'd be stronger than Accelerator with his black wings or at his strongest state? Presumably she won't keep this 'power up' going forward but it might appear in future seasons of index as a brief burst of power like how Accelerator randomly does stuff he shouldn't have been able to do like singing aka spoiler[casting magic]
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2020 5:36 pm Reply with quote
Re: Gensei's line on Mikoto being "Aleister's favorite"
https://twitter.com/js_06/status/1246461176495685632

No spoilers, just a comment by the editor.
OH&S

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2020 6:49 pm Reply with quote
Calsolum wrote:
However misaka being aleister's favourite was a shocker, I'd always thought it was Touma or Accelerator since I don't recall him ever involving himself(in any of the schemes) with Misaka except for lv6 shift and the sisters but that was all supposed to be for Accelerator's benefit.

killjoy_the wrote:
Re: Gensei's line on Mikoto being "Aleister's favorite"
https://twitter.com/js_06/status/1246461176495685632

No spoilers, just a comment by the editor.

Pretty much this. Gensei's line in the manga never gelled well with the LNs as Misaka just isn't important to Aleister outside of her contribution to the clones. The Misaka Network has always been the most important thing comparable to Kamijou and Accelerator.
Stiles

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2020 8:08 pm Reply with quote
Oof, that picture is gonna spoil anybody who's late to the party this week. My condolences, anime-only crowd.

The level 6 shift attempt on Misaka, hard to believe we're here at last. I greatly envy anybody who doesn't know what's coming, getting to watch what unfolds animated for their first time.

But I do wonder if J.C. Staff will be able to handle the biggest surprise yet to come.
Key

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2020 8:27 pm Reply with quote
Stiles wrote:
Oof, that picture is gonna spoil anybody who's late to the party this week. My condolences, anime-only crowd.

I did consider this, but ultimately decided that this shot was just too good to pass up on using.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Stiles

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2020 8:35 pm Reply with quote
It was definitely the right call. I probably would've done the same. Cool
Izanagi009

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 6:38 pm Reply with quote
Well, looks like we are about to hit an absurd scale for Index's power battles. Accelerator vs Kakine in theory should be restrained compared to what this will be. I just hope the animation for this fight will be better than the disappointing Accelerator vs Kakine fight (long story short, issues with editing, visual effects and general feel of impact)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 4 of 14