• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: If My Favorite Pop Idol Made it to the Budokan, I Would Die

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TanyaTheEvil

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2020 4:33 pm Reply with quote
This is one of my most favorite anime of the season. In fact I made it on my top list of favorites. I absolutely loved the review on the season's finale. Where the review says at the end, "That said, if If My Favorite Pop Idol Made it to the Budokan, I Would Die made it to a second season, I would die". This sums up my feelings as well.
Wasureta

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2020 6:20 pm Reply with quote
The text in the lower corner of the closing card says, "The End?". It could be a hint at a second season.
Panino Manino

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2020 10:41 pm Reply with quote
Maina and Eripyo is the worst pair, the most shallow and uninteresting, and seeing Eri along the series made me dislike her.
This was enjoyable but in the end I liked to watch much more for the other characters. It's the other characters that I want to see more.
casenumber00

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2020 12:02 am Reply with quote
This show is overall good but it does make light how deplorable it is when fans have to buy several CDs, along with merchandise, and incur huge expenses for their favorite band, in fact it is expected fans spend what amounts to hundreds of dollar per transaction. I liked and enjoyed the show but I couldnt shake the feeling that this isnt right.
motormind

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2020 4:16 am Reply with quote
Wow, does this show ever give me mixed feelings. At first I thought this would be mostly a one-sided affair where Eripiyo crushes on Maina, while Maina merely sees her as a fan. I was pleasantly surprised then when Maina appears to genuinely love Eripiyo back from the first episode. Then again, does she really? Well, herein lies the problem for me.

Eripiyo often realizes that her feelings for Maina may be more than mere fan-girling, but she refuses to break out of the fan-idol mold. Now from her viewpoint I can actually understand this. While Eripiyo is depicted as quite the looker herself, she is still in quite a disadvantaged position compared to somebody who is a more or less officially established object of desire.

This brings me to Maina. Her behavior is a complete baffling to me. She claims to have feelings for Eripiyo, but her actions don't really reflect this in any way. She seems to be perfectly fine with the object of her love putting herself through mental and financial trouble time and time again just to be with her. Remember: Maina has the upper hand in this. She could easily slip Eripiyo a note with her phone number or email address, or even with an invitation to meet up. But no, Maina is perfectly fine with her agency screwing Eripyo out of her money just to allow her to shake hand with her favorite idol.

Of course, if Maina took action this would lead to a lot of issues. Eripiyo is rather quirky, to say the least, and she may misunderstand Maina's actions quite a bit. There's also the issue that idol-fan relationships are heavily frowned upon, if not outright forbidden, and the fact that they live in a society that is still largely homophobic also doesn't help matters. But I think that this would have led to a much more interesting story, with Maina trying to get through to Eripiyo, while Eripiyo faces the fact that her feelings for Maina may well surpass that of a mere fan.

So I regard this show as another missed opportunity to show a same-sex relationship in a positive light. The last show I remember doing so was Yagate Kimi Ni Naru, and that was in 2018. It doesn't leave me all that cheerful.
Panino Manino

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2020 10:05 am Reply with quote
motormind wrote:

This brings me to Maina. Her behavior is a complete baffling to me. She claims to have feelings for Eripiyo, but her actions don't really reflect this in any way. She seems to be perfectly fine with the object of her love putting herself through mental and financial trouble time and time again just to be with her. Remember: Maina has the upper hand in this. She could easily slip Eripiyo a note with her phone number or email address, or even with an invitation to meet up. But no, Maina is perfectly fine with her agency screwing Eripyo out of her money just to allow her to shake hand with her favorite idol.

I gave up on her when Eri appeared with clutches and Maina barely noticed.
She doesn't even care with her physical integrity lol.

motormind wrote:

Of course, if Maina took action this would lead to a lot of issues. Eripiyo is rather quirky, to say the least, and she may misunderstand Maina's actions quite a bit. There's also the issue that idol-fan relationships are heavily frowned upon, if not outright forbidden, and the fact that they live in a society that is still largely homophobic also doesn't help matters. But I think that this would have led to a much more interesting story, with Maina trying to get through to Eripiyo, while Eripiyo faces the fact that her feelings for Maina may well surpass that of a mere fan.

Maina had no other fans, and Eri is a woman, they had all the opportunity and excuses to have an open friendship.

motormind wrote:

So I regard this show as another missed opportunity to show a same-sex relationship in a positive light. The last show I remember doing so was Yagate Kimi Ni Naru, and that was in 2018. It doesn't leave me all that cheerful.

This isn't true.
Maki and Yumeri are an official couple and their relationship is very positive.
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2020 10:29 pm Reply with quote
this show was just ok, the real yuri show of the season was show by rock, fight me.
Yuvelir

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 4:55 am Reply with quote
maximilianjenus wrote:
this show was just ok, the real yuri show of the season was show by rock, fight me.

It wasn't as explicit but at the same time they were basically married.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3