• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Kyodo News: Prime Minister Abe to Declare State of Emergency in Japan

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kougeru

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 10:12 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Abe reportedly does not plan to order a "lockdown," and hopes to "maintain economic and social activities as much as possible."

Has he not learned from the rest of the world?! You HAVE to lockdown ASAP if you want the quickest turnaround and the lowest economic impact. The longer you wait, the more deaths there are, and the more economic damage there will be. Abe is not doing this right.

And in response to an earlier comment: last I heard scientists actually said it CAN'T be confirmed where this started. We of course assume it was China because that's where it was first discovered but we cannot without a doubt say for sure. Either way, China could not stop it even if they did things better. Best case scenario they would've slowed it down to buy us more time. But it seems like at least the US and Japan would've wasted all that time anyway, since we wasted the time we did have.
omiya

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 10:55 am Reply with quote
I can't understand how some people think that they are immune or that no-one near them is a carrier:

https://mainichi.jp/english/articles/20200406/p2a/00m/0na/010000c

"Yokohama med trainees dined in groups before testing positive for coronavirus".
GNPixie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 10:56 am Reply with quote
cookiemanstah wrote:
It's a question of IF this gets resolved, what will we do to prevent something like it happening again

China needs to ban wet markets and keep them banned. COV-19 originated in the same way that the original SARS outbreak did back in 2002/2003; via wet market.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 11:10 am Reply with quote
It absolutely boggles my mind that it took them this long to do so.
bleachj0j

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 11:55 am Reply with quote
DavetheUsher wrote:
I was talking to my friend who lives in Japan a couple weeks ago and he was talking how no one in Japan was really taking corona seriously and that Americans were overreacting. They were all still going out to drink and eat all the time and doing fine. Guess that might end up changing now

I wish we overreacted. We only got the reaction we got once the situation got out of control after denying it for months. Even now, some states are loosening up to allow for religious gatherings.

And honestly Japan should have react sooner too. It was there for months and they probably could have been where Korea is at had they taken the precautions before it was serious.
gamegodtre

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 12:23 pm Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:
This is baaaaad. Animators already weren't making money, and now the entire industry's about to come to a grinding halt (manga should be ok). Add this on top of delaying the Olympics and Comiket, and Japan''s economy could be crippled.

Sweet itll make my vacation all the better if i can get 200 yen to a dollar

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 12:33 pm Reply with quote
cookiemanstah wrote:
does this whole situation not make anyone extremely mad and want to scream? Like that much can be asked if no xenophobic racial remarks, but everything has been making me mad.

For me, kinda. I’m hoping to go back to Japan for vacation in the winter, from mid December to mid January.

And seeing how the Japanese pro wrestling scene is deeply affected, especially with NJPW cancelling the entire New Japan Cup tournament and Sakura Genesis, it makes me rather irked. I just hope that vacationing there will be possible still in the holiday season.
whiskeyii

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 1:21 pm Reply with quote
Dragon_Kaiser wrote:

People here don’t give a crap about the whole situation and don’t forget what happened in Florida with those idiot spring break kid.

I live in Florida, and my local govt took Covid19 way more seriously than our state govt, I'm happy to say. Being under shelter-in-place is no picnic, but I'd happily be accused of being overly paranoid and coming out the other side with a plethora of Lysol than even a mild case of the alternative (especially since it's sooooo easy to spread asymptomatically). That said, my heart really goes out to the folks who'll have to make a hard choice between their health and their livelihood. :/
Lactobacillus yogurti

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 1:32 pm Reply with quote
GNPixie wrote:
China needs to ban wet markets and keep them banned. COV-19 originated in the same way that the original SARS outbreak did back in 2002/2003; via wet market.

As much as we wish that'd happen, the Chinese millionaires would make a killing of illegal ones because they love their aphrodisiacs and delicacies too much.
luffypirate

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 3:04 pm Reply with quote
All of my packages have shipped. Should have enough new anime to hold me over.
Stay safe in your homes my Japanese friends!
harminia

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 4:22 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
one month

Ima keep it real with you 57th prime minister of Japan Shinzo Abe
One month ain't gonna solve the problem
Theodore Relic

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 11:15 pm Reply with quote
DavetheUsher wrote:
I was talking to my friend who lives in Japan a couple weeks ago and he was talking how no one in Japan was really taking corona seriously and that Americans were overreacting. They were all still going out to drink and eat all the time and doing fine. Guess that might end up changing now

Here in Ohio people accused Gov. Mike DeWine of "overreacting" when he started ordering the cancellation of big events, including the Arnold Classic (a huge moneymaking bodybuilding convention that takes place at the Columbus Convention Center; same place that Ohayocon takes place in January), and then again when he shut down the schools beginning March 16 and postponed the primary election on March 17.

Our infection rate has been slowly creeping up, and it's expected our numbers of infected/deaths may plateau near the end of April. But, even though I've never been a fan of Mike DeWine (even less so after the Issue 6 debacle and his hardline stance on abortion), but I have to admit, he's thus far doing a good job of being proactive on this.
capt_bunny

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 3:43 am Reply with quote
harminia wrote:
Quote:
one month

Ima keep it real with you 57th prime minister of Japan Shinzo Abe
One month ain't gonna solve the problem

Indeed. Where I live has been in lock down very early compared to others but it's why we have somewhat lower number of cases for a huge population. A month isn't even the bare minimum.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 8:43 am Reply with quote
Maybe people will start to take it more seriously since it's starting to look like cats can get it too. Even if that turns out not to be true (and I hope it isn't), people who don't care if they kill nana will do anything to protect their furbabies.
/cynicism
Cutiebunny

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 9:07 am Reply with quote
Until there’s a vaccine, cure or the majority of the world gets the virus and becomes more or less immune to it, this is going to continue. It’s not going to be one wave of virus and then it’ll be gone. Wait until people start traveling again in the massive number that they were prior to mid-February. Countries will continually infect and re-infect each other.

This could have been clamped down in mid December. The world should have simply shut off travel to China, particularly Wuhan, until infections subsided. But money talks and no one wanted to risk losing money, particularly during the Lunar New Year period that generates so much business for the country.

The problem is that, regardless of a shelter in place law, there are always going to be people who will think they’re exempt for whatever reason. And these are exactly the people who are going to help to continue the virus’s continuous transmission. If everyone in the world could stay at home at the same time for two months, we’d probably have eliminated it. But as the infrastructure isn’t in place in most countries to ensure people will have supplies and suffer no income loss that would allow them to continue to purchase those items, this virus is going to be here and infecting us all for quite a long time to come.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4