• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
500 Internal Server Error all-day

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Bugs & Technical Questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2019 9:44 pm Reply with quote
^Some errors still occurring as they did starting Saturday but seemed somewhat better yesterday. For Instance, accessing ANN today immediately returned a 500 internal error message with mascot displayed but did not recur with a page reload. Yesterday I got the Cloudflare error immediately on selecting an article page, which is why I posted, but selecting other pages I got the same very intermittently. Saturday and Sunday the Cloudflare error occurred only on Talkback links and was very persistent. Yesterday, those same links seemed fine. There seems to be a level of indeterminacy to these overall as I have been trying to find a common factor without much luck. As an engineer myself, these sorts of things are the worst...(I'll post again if more happens today).

P.S. From correspondence with Gina I believe we are both in the SoCal area and one of the Cloudflare error messages yesterday indicated the Cloudflare hub involved was in Texas (for what it's worth).

Edit:Did some random poking at articles and Talkback links new, old, small thread, long thread (200+) no problems detected. Cross your fingers...
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2019 12:36 am Reply with quote
fwiw, I think all my Cloudflare errors were through San Jose. (I'm in NorCal) I suspect that doesn't matter though, since the error is on the website side, and not the browser or Cloudflare side.

Haven't gotten any today, just the usual random "An error occurred thanks for understanding" messages and ridiculously long "waiting for animenewsnetwork.com" notices from my browser while I drum my fingers.
shivaa95

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2019 6:20 pm Reply with quote
I think the issue is coming from their servers and not yours
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2019 3:37 pm Reply with quote
1:35 PST "server not returning a connection" hub San Diego in Talkback for The List-5 Best MHA. Did not recur on second attempt.
Cam0

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2020 2:55 pm Reply with quote
This 500 internal error thing came back with a vengeance today. No matter where I tried to go on the site, I'd get a 500 internal server error message. I could still see the sidebar thing and see new articles pop up, and then see the number of comments on those articles increase. I couldn't find people complaining about the site being down on twitter (except for like one comment), reddit or facebook so I figured it had to be something on my end. But deleting all cookies and browsing history did not help.

So I just tried clicking random stuff on the top menu bar thingy and finally pressing Subscriber Forum under My ANN took me to a login page instead of 500 internal error page. From there I could login and the site started working again. Weird. I tried the same thing on my phone (though I had to manually type the address because I couldn't find the Subscriber Forum on the mobile site's menu thingy) and that fixed the problem on it too.

I don't know what the heck this was all about but the site seems to be working fine now, but I'd imagine there might be other users out there who can't access the site and haven't figured out this absurdly weird fix.

Edit: If I try to access the site in private mode, I still get the 500 internal server error message.

Edit 2: I spoke too soon. It started happening again, but I managed to fix it again by removing my browsing history and then redoing the Subscriber Forum trick.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2020 4:11 pm Reply with quote
We're looking into it. I've been on the site all day and not experienced any problems, but the logs confirm an increase in 500 errors.

Just to confirm, have you been using the subscriber server (fast.animenewsnetwork.com) ? Our logs show no 500 errors on that server.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2020 4:26 pm Reply with quote
We found & fixed the problem. It was only affecting readers in Northern Europe.

Sorry.
Cam0

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2020 5:06 pm Reply with quote
Cool. Thanks for fixing the problem.

Tempest wrote:
Just to confirm, have you been using the subscriber server (fast.animenewsnetwork.com) ? Our logs show no 500 errors on that server.

No, since I'm not a subscriber.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 2:33 pm Reply with quote
Cam0 wrote:
No, since I'm not a subscriber.
Oh, sorry. For some reason I thought I saw "subscriber" under your name.
blahmoomoo

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 10:51 am Reply with quote
It seems the server moeka-chan has been serving 500s since yesterday, but the problem is that if I end up with moeka-chan, it sticks unless I open a new tab and paste the URL there. No amount of refreshing fixes the issue or changes the server, only opening a new tab (that is, another Chrome process, probably) seems to change which server I'm routed to.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 9:33 pm Reply with quote
Are you still getting these errors. I just browsed around on Moeka for a while and got no errors whatsoever.
Dan42
Chief Encyclopedist

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 10:45 pm Reply with quote
I found the issue but it's a bit tricky.
For now can you close and re-open your browser (all tabs)? That will delete the session cookie that's causing the issue.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
blahmoomoo

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 11:01 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, the issue was still happening for me, so I cleared ANN's cookies. Now I can't get any page to load from moeka-chan (only mayu-chan and kurisu-chan, according to the bottom of each page). So I can't say if the issue is entirely fixed since nothing is being served to me from the server that had issues. But at least things are stable now.
Stryfermon

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2020 6:09 am Reply with quote
Been getting 500 Internal Server Error on all news article items, as well as the comment section to them, for the last two days.

I live in Northern Europe, since I saw you had trouble with the region in the past.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2020 5:50 pm Reply with quote
Hmm, I don't see any errors visiting the site from a Norwegian IP. Can you tell me what browser you are using ?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Bugs & Technical Questions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3