• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Wave, Listen to Me!

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zhou-BR

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2020 8:27 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Minare's apron at the Urasando Festival simply reads “There Was No God”, which I found entirely too amusing, especially because of the implications brought about by the past-tense part of the sentence.

That and the "the Earth was blue" on Nakahara's apron are references to things Yuri Gagarin said during mankind's first successful space flight.
Panino Manino

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2020 10:55 pm Reply with quote
Zhou-BR wrote:
Quote:
Minare's apron at the Urasando Festival simply reads “There Was No God”, which I found entirely too amusing, especially because of the implications brought about by the past-tense part of the sentence.

That and the "the Earth was blue" on Nakahara's apron are references to things Yuri Gagarin said during mankind's first successful space flight.

The name of the restaurant, Voyager, the food stand, "Gagarin", the aprons.
All part of a big brain joke.

And the man at the end of the second episode is Minare's neighbor, she passes by him when she leaves for the radio.
Gilles Poitras

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2020 9:33 am Reply with quote
I love the manga, I shall be checking out the show.
Kiskaloo
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2020 11:14 am Reply with quote
Really enjoyed the first episode and the second was strong enough to keep me excited for the third.
Panino Manino

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2020 6:17 pm Reply with quote
One thing that I always noticing is the mouths.
Did you noticed how the mouth are always well animated and expressive in this? Like they're purposely paying attentino to this detail to complement the voice work.

Quote:
Nakahara's friendly overtures feel a little too draped in “Nice Guy” mentality to feel completely genuine — I'm pretty sure he's the one that was going to grab her ass when she passed out earlier —

No.
No, just no.
meiam

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2020 10:00 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Speaking of the “handsy” vibes this episode was putting out, Minare explains that she discovered Takarada was gay when she realized how touchy-feely he got with all of the men in Voyager's celebrity photos, which answers Nakahara's confusion over why he kept getting his butt grabbed in the kitchen

He also does it in the last shoot of the OP.
blahmoomoo

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2020 11:52 am Reply with quote
I'm assuming all the drama in episode 4 is setting up material for Minare to pull from in her debut in the next episode.
Jinbei

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2020 12:41 pm Reply with quote
Love the series and I'm glad that at last a manga by Hiroaki Samura actually got a decent anime(looking at both of you Blade of the Immortals!)

Speaking of which, did anyone else notice that Makie Tachibana is a very straightforward homage to Blade of the Immortal's insanely skilled samurai lady, Makie Otono Tachibana? They weren't exactly trying to hide the reference as not only does she look quite a bit like the other Makie, but in the old, 2008 version of BOTI, Makie is voiced by the same Mamiko Noto as she is in this show...

(Samura has these funny little tendencies to reference his own works. Die Wergelder has a somewhat forgettable side character named after a prisoner in BOTI. There might be more but a whole lot of Samura's more....ehh... adult-oriented works aren't available in english)
Seagloom

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2020 1:22 pm Reply with quote
Jinbei wrote:
Speaking of which, did anyone else notice that Makie Tachibana is a very straightforward homage to Blade of the Immortal's insanely skilled samurai lady, Makie Otono Tachibana? They weren't exactly trying to hide the reference as not only does she look quite a bit like the other Makie, but in the old, 2008 version of BOTI, Makie is voiced by the same Mamiko Noto as she is in this show...

The manga makes an explicit comparison as well. In volume two's character introduction page, Makie's entry reads: "A beautiful woman working at VOYAGER to help pay for the car accident caused by her brother. Not the most skilled swordsman in the manga."
Seagloom

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2020 4:59 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
We've gotten glimpses of horror-esque vignettes from the show before (and can anyone explain what the whole “bleeding ceiling” bit from a few episodes back was about?)

Judging by the preview, this will be addressed next episode. It seems they're rearranging the manga's order of events by circling back to it earlier.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2020 9:38 pm Reply with quote
Going to have to watch this show, considering the reviews for the episodes.

That is not a turtle, that is an alien facehugger
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2020 11:59 am Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:
Going to have to watch this show, considering the reviews for the episodes.

That is not a turtle, that is an alien facehugger

Yes yet also yes.

I'm still trying to figure out how the turtle got on Minare's face in order to hug her face. The only thing I've got is that Mizuho placed her turtle on her roommate's face as "nimble" and "fast" are not typical turtle descriptions. Probable started as a cute "Oh, come get to know your new roommate, Kame san!" moment, ended with turtle dung in the mouth.

Best not to say anything further about it after that.
njprogfan
Collector Extraordinaire

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2020 5:23 am Reply with quote
I had to do a double-take when she woke up and the turtle was straddling her face only to drop a load into her agape mouth. When it cut to her gargling, I ROARED! The funniest split second ever! And so nonchalant! This series is turning out to be one of the best of the year and should be treasured.
Doodleboy

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2020 4:36 pm Reply with quote
Tonally "Wave, Listen to Me" reminds me of Chainsawman. There are hints of drama here and there, but it's a shit-post laced with irony.

Which I will honestly take, the only issue is that Samura's sense of humor gets too gross sometimes (like the homophobic jokes).

I guess you can say the structure of the show is like Minare herself. Rambly and full of tangents. The manga also has a kind of erratic sense of storytelling, with each panel shifting angles like the film editor wanted to add as many different cuts as possible. The anime's is a little more sedate in comparison, although I imagine trying to translate that to anime will both be too labor-intensive and make the story harder to watch.
meiam

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2020 11:31 pm Reply with quote
Wait, did Minare go back to her apartment or something? She's definitely back in it, but it's strange that she's at the same place. Like her landlord kicked her out but didn't rent the place after that?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3