• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Food Wars! Shokugeki no Soma: The Fifth Plate

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
aaa1e2r3

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 10:03 pm Reply with quote
As many fellow manga readers will atest, it's time for this train wreck to begin
Scion Drake

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 11:09 pm Reply with quote
Holy crap Megumi scoring more points that Soma, that's just sad. Laughing
ryanvamp

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2020 1:40 am Reply with quote
I absolutely loved the first two seasons of this. Third season was mediocre and I could already tell something was off. I searched for opinions of the then future arcs of the manga and boy oh boy did I make the right choice in dropping it. It doesn't mean I'm still not sad whenever I remember it got more seasons: I used to care for these characters.
Izanagi009

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2020 3:26 pm Reply with quote
Watching the first two episodes of Shokugeki as someone who loves food, it felt nice to see the epithet used during the autumn election come back. Feels like they have grown and established an identity.

I also love how the beach house test showed that you don't need expensive to make good.

Regardless, i'm mostly in it to see the trainwreck i heard is coming and to see how what food they come up with story wise

Edit: Listening to Suzuki's voice, I can already tell he's a bad guy even without knowing the manga. It's Jun Fukuyama doing a lighter version of his Lelouch voice. It's expected that a person like that is an asshole

edit 2: Just realized with Tadokoro's dish, how many ingredients and miso types did she use? geez, i knew miso soup was regional as was cuisine but the amount of care needed is absurd. I'm glad she won
Zhou-BR

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2020 6:08 pm Reply with quote
Uh, you should fix the episode number in the title of the latest review.

Edit: fixed.
jdnation

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2020 12:31 am Reply with quote
I've honestly only been watching this show for recipe ideas. Not that I'll be cooking bear anytime soon or any of the more exotic plates, but there's some good stuff here, so long as that holds up I can withstand a train wreck. Though the show's been 'good enough' for me so far, not that I'm expecting anything other than cook offs. I don't have any actual investment in any of the characters really, and the school politics are nothing really that engaging. But I do like eating.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2020 3:20 am Reply with quote
I thought I was watching Food Wars, but with all this Attack of the Underground Chefs nonsense it suddenly it turned into True Cooking Master Boy, a mid-90s manga/anime, rebooted last fall. I just could never shake the mental comparison, and every time they showed up, I kept thinking, "You guys look like clowns next to the Underground Cooking Society." Was Soma's dad's knife the first of the Eight Legendary Cooking Utensils they need to acquire to rule the world?
Zhou-BR

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2020 2:05 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
I thought I was watching Food Wars, but with all this Attack of the Underground Chefs nonsense it suddenly it turned into True Cooking Master Boy, a mid-90s manga/anime, rebooted last fall. I just could never shake the mental comparison, and every time they showed up, I kept thinking, "You guys look like clowns next to the Underground Cooking Society." Was Soma's dad's knife the first of the Eight Legendary Cooking Utensils they need to acquire to rule the world?

Yep, Cooking Master Boy's influence on the authors became quite evident with this final arc. After finishing the Central arc that could have been a natural ending point for the series, I guess all they could think up was doing their own riff on the Underground Cooking Society.
Kuzu

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2020 7:12 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
But who is the woman behind the curtain who apparently sanctioned this entire fiasco? Given that we're starting to see some of the missing moms, I wouldn't be hugely surprised if she wasn't Erina's, although that may be a stretch.

spoiler[This comment will age very poorly in a few episodes]
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2020 12:20 am Reply with quote
Good thing the senile old coot didn't mix up his guns...

When Soma is detailing his dish, he says he mixed in "some homemade shichimi red pepper blend." Since they weren't allowed to use any of their own ingredients, what does "homemade" even mean in this context?
WizardOfOss

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2020 8:04 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Ah, yes, the chainsaw, that delicate instrument of true gourmet. Who doesn't have one in their kitchen cupboard for slicing brisket or carefully peeling an apple?

Welcome to the Culinary World of Ultimate Slavic Cooking Cool

I also do have rather mixed feelings about the direction this is going. I did watch Shin Chuuka Ichiban last year, and they seem to have copied the very aspect I least liked about that show. And seem to make it even worse. Even less cooking than before, and more nonsensical crap, just what the show needed....

I did however kind of like the challenges, and I kind of expected Soma to go this way. Instead of just trying to please the old guy like everybode else (including Noir) did, surprise him in a way he doesn't want this to be his last supper. And I would have loved to see what Megumi and Takumi came up with for their even weirder challenges. Or maybe even more how everybody else failed....
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2020 10:53 am Reply with quote
WizardOfOss wrote:

Although I am not sure that my Russian grandparents would be proud, I definitely laughed a lot. Smile And to think that we made Dad get rid of his chainsaw last year...
WizardOfOss

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 10:59 am Reply with quote
Princess_Irene wrote:
And to think that we made Dad get rid of his chainsaw last year...
But......how is he supposed to make a sandwich now? Does he use an axe now, just like any civilized person would? Or a bayonet?

(I might have watched too many of those videos.....)
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 3:44 am Reply with quote
Well, the US Forest Service actually recommends using canola oil to lubricate the chain, so he might well be on to something there. And the wood chips add fiber! Smile
Scion Drake

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 6:04 pm Reply with quote
Ya know it’s incredible. Soma is now currently the First Seat of Totsuki, the number 1 ranked spot in the entire school that makes him objectively the best chef there like how Eishi was considered the best when he was number 1.

This is after competing in several highly publicized events where he surpasses multiple famous chefs every time meaning it’s not even unknown that he’s a fantastic chef.

Yet everytime there’s always someone who goes “Nah he’s not a good chef, he’s from some stingy little diner.” Why does that still keep getting brought up? He’s been at the school for over a year now & that’s apparently the only thing people can say about him.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4