• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Boruto: Naruto Next Generations

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2020 11:34 pm Reply with quote

So I guess Bengie's stash of gems was another unresolved plot point. And looks like he's dead after all.

I'd been expecting Kokuri to pull a heel-turn for almost the entire arc, but I admit I didn't see it coming in quite this way until Sai mentioned the Corpse Clone thing. So it was sad that Kokuri died, especially given how stupidly he was caught.

I guess the Celestial Prison was undoable just by getting doused in a lot of (sea?)water? So it seems easy enough for Shojoji to undo it by just following the kids' escape route and taking a dip along the way.
Marimo0

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2020 12:54 pm Reply with quote
Weird to think that it took over a year and a half to get back to stuff covered in the manga, after the anime did its version of Boruto The Movie.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2020 11:09 am Reply with quote
Inojin didn't seem all that hyped when Boruto gave him the second Naruto card, so it seemed weird that he didn't leap on the chance to sell it for a big payday.

I guess Amy is more forgiving of recycled plots than I am. This feels like the fourth or fifth time we've done this.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2020 1:09 am Reply with quote

Quote:
if Shojoji has taken on Yamaoka's appearance, there's a good chance the latter is dead

Unless they retcon the Clone Corpse jutsu to allow for him to just morph his appearance, Yamaoka has to be dead.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2020 6:56 am Reply with quote

So if this is their first B-ranked mission, what was that whole prison deal at the start of this arc? Somehow that did not feel like a C-rank to me.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2020 11:42 am Reply with quote

While I wasn't too sanguine about this small arc ending to the prison arc, they did finish it up in style. I was also dismayed that they didn't seem to bothered by Yamaoka's death, although Tento did seem upset by it last week.

I like the new OP and ED. And this is the cutest thing I've seen since Baby Yoda.

I love how he's watching Boruto for the moves and is about half a beat behind him.
zfunk

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2020 8:37 am Reply with quote
Just me or it seems they are setting something up with Denki and the new Tsubaki. Iwabi suddenly has some competition, better step up his game.
ErikaD.D

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2020 12:07 am Reply with quote
Filler? Didn't creators themselves are confirmed that all of episodes are canon.
Marimo0

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2020 12:18 am Reply with quote
ErikaD.D wrote:
Filler? Didn't creators themselves are confirmed that all of episodes are canon.

Filler doesn't need to be non-canon to still be filler. It's usually called that because it's just filling up episodes until the series moves on to its next actual arc. It's nice when filler actually feels like it's developing characters, and filler doesn't even need to be derogatory, but ultimately it's hard to say if team 15's development actually really matters.
anifani

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2020 6:39 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Himawari acknowledges that ninjutsu is “fun” but states that she'd like to explore other career paths before making her final decision. (Come on, kid. You're, what, 10? It's high time you decided on a job!)

I just want to thank you. It's one of those rough days when you really need a good laugh, and you're comment was perfect. Very Happy
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2020 9:24 pm Reply with quote
I knew they weren't going to show us, but I still wanted to see how the hell they got out of the well once they reached the top. Smile Of course, after watching them leap up that first obstacle course, I think they could've all just jumped out of the well.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 12:35 am Reply with quote

I dunno about "sure to please" but there's pretty much no such thing as a Mitsuki-centric episode that I hate (so far). The mystery wasn't, the cat was cute as always, the guest adversary was likeable, and Boruto's dialog was apparently written by a 3rd grader. So a mixed bag. I had to go back to hear the bell, since I didn't recognize that's what it was given the blue-sky backdrop. I thought it was part of the ED starting or something.

Already hating next week's episode...
JaggedAuthor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 5:18 am Reply with quote
I wasn't sure if the bell chime at the end signified Samidare's awakening or was simply an artistic flourish. Maybe the ambiguity was the point?
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2020 12:19 am Reply with quote
I'm hardly a fan of Sexy Jutsu, but at least it was a reasonable use for it. What was weird was that after reminding us of Boruto's Transformation skillz, he went to the meeting as himself. Seems like he might want to look more believable as an "assistant" instead of a tag-along kid. Not to mention the (they hope) remote possibility of the person they're meeting recognizing him. As the 7th's son, and in his own right by now, it's not like he's entirely unknown in the Lands.

Also, this was one of those episodes where they make no effort at all to even suggest that they're trying to keep their conversations private. The guy tries to sell them headbands, and Boruto goes shouting about how wrong it all is right in front of him. Presumably they stepped away a bit and he wasn't actually broadcasting his feelings to all and sundry, since we didn't get a reaction shot of the seller or anyone else, but jeez, way to blend in among the hardcore, end-of-their-rope outlaws, kid.

Ah well, these things just remind me that this is made for tweens and under, and not for me, even though I do mostly enjoy the series. Smile
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2020 8:04 pm Reply with quote
These 1 v 3 and 1 v 5 battles aren't exactly making the good guys look very powerful. I know outnumbering the enemy yet still having a rough go of it is the set-up in a lot of shounen action series, but back-to-back like this makes it really in your face how weak they are.

And Boruto, no you didn't already tell them you were set up, you just claimed not to have the goods now. You have to actually use your words.

I'm starting to feel kinda bad for the Haze dudes. They're in over their heads and probably haven't been told enough about their mission aside from being expendable cannon fodder. Land of Haze sounds like one of those backwater areas that always got the short end of the stick. Or maybe I'm just feeling sympathetic since I've been living in the land of haze for the last 2 weeks what with all the fire smoke in the air.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 27 of 31