• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sailor Moon Eternal Film Reveals Cast, Teaser Video, Visual

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zeino

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2020 5:13 pm Reply with quote
Okay, stuffing the trailer full of references to the original anime is a hopeful sign here. Because I really don't want this to be another straight-up adaptation of the manga. We had three season of that already and they were deeply uninspired. Toei has the chance to do Sailor Moon SuperS all over again here, let's not go with the least interesting option.
Nodz

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2020 5:14 pm Reply with quote
So, last month leak was not a fake.
I hate that they changed Rei's hair to give her the style she had in the original series.
manapear

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2020 5:20 pm Reply with quote
I don't like the direction Eternal is going at all. I was excited to see the manga being adapted finally with Crystal, and with its own little additions here and there. But here we are. They pushed toward the classic art style in season three, and now we have Tadano bac, and I can't say the art I've seen so far looks especially good to me.

And the screenshots only confirm Toei is still managing to cheap out. What was the point of making it a movie and presumably having more budget? In the first place, you'd think merchandising and such would pay for the budget by now, but that's Toei. (They treat everything like trash pretty fairly, I'll give them that.)

Well, Matsuoka as Helios is a cool move, so that's a positive. I can't really get hyped for this, but if there's some plus in it all, that's something.
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2020 5:31 pm Reply with quote
I wish they’d kept season 3 of Crystal’s art style
1dbad

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2020 6:03 pm Reply with quote
Looks great to me. And the Dream arc is my favorite arc of the manga, so a mostly faithful adaptation is exactly what I want.

Not sure how I feel about Matsuoka as Pegasus. I love his voice but it's hard to imagine him as Pegasus. I've only heard him in roles like Souma and Inosuke, who are NOTHING like Pegasus Laughing

Last edited by 1dbad on Thu Apr 23, 2020 9:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
Qulex

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2020 6:34 pm Reply with quote
manapear wrote:
I don't like the direction Eternal is going at all. I was excited to see the manga being adapted finally with Crystal, and with its own little additions here and there. But here we are. They pushed toward the classic art style in season three, and now we have Tadano bac, and I can't say the art I've seen so far looks especially good to me.

And the screenshots only confirm Toei is still managing to cheap out. What was the point of making it a movie and presumably having more budget? In the first place, you'd think merchandising and such would pay for the budget by now, but that's Toei. (They treat everything like trash pretty fairly, I'll give them that.)

Well, Matsuoka as Helios is a cool move, so that's a positive. I can't really get hyped for this, but if there's some plus in it all, that's something.

Can you give me a good reason why you're spreading misinformation?
Budget memes in 2020, jeez. You came to that conclusion after seeing the screenshots? I assumed people who were invested in anime would know how things work by now.

"They treat everything like trash pretty fairly" One Piece had a complete staff overhaul (new composite studio, character designer, 3 series directors, art director, etc.) and the show now looks better on a regular basis than some popular seasonal shows. Dragon Quest remake won't air until Fall (if the pandemic won't affect it) and according to a staff member episode 5 was already finished in January. The third season of World Trigger has very promising staff and apparently a good schedule as well. With the new Digimon show the staff's goal was to have Bokura no War Game quality for the first 3 episode and it showed. Not to mention DBS Broly and OP Stampede. Ever since they moved to the new building they wanted not only to improve the working conditions but also increase the quality of their shows. Please do your research.

And speaking of this movie freaking Shingo Fujii worked on it and completed his key animation last year. That should tell you about the schedule.
whiskeyii

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2020 6:48 pm Reply with quote
TsukasaElkKite wrote:

Maybe I'll blind/too much of a normie to tell, but it looks pretty same to the last season of Crystal to me! ^^;

But my major complaint has gotta' be Helios from that still. >.> That's not a...great looking horse. Still, I enjoyed the manga's Eternal arc compared to Classic's take, so I'm tentatively looking forward to this!
harminia

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2020 8:00 pm Reply with quote
I don't watch Crystal (because the first 2 seasons are so tremendously ugly I can't deal with it), but this looks pretty good. It looks closer to season 3 so it actually looks nice and not creepy, and I'm not seeing horrible CG on the attacks so that's a plus.
Cutiebunny

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2020 10:47 pm Reply with quote
whiskeyii wrote:
But my major complaint has gotta' be Helios from that still. >.> That's not a...great looking horse.

It's more or less a copy of the original settei for Pegasus in SuperS. The first few stock images of Pegasus from 1995 looked equally poor. It's not really until later episodes where horse form looks really good.

It feels very odd to me to see sequences that were originally animated by Itoh (she did all the Inner bank attack sequences from SuperS/Stars) now being drawn by Tadano. Having met Itoh and knowing how much she hates SM, I don't know if she would have returned to animate those even if she were asked by Toei. But despite the flashy new colors and effects, the animation just does not look as polished in these attacks as they were when Itoh drew them. Granted, what was shown was just a snippet, but I already miss Itoh's style.

I hope Miho Shimogasa returns to the project as well. Her comical expressions were the best, and I don't think that SuperS would be done justice without her.

Qulex wrote:
Please do your research..

Toei has treated Sailor Moon like garbage for years. I went to Toei Animation Studio in 2008. All the Sailor Moon stuff had been pushed to the hallway where it was exposed to heavy sunlight. All the merchandise they had was heavily bleached by the sunlight. Meanwhile, all the Dragonball merchandise was treated with much more care. None of it was lingering in a glass shelf in the sunny hallway.
Qulex

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2020 11:26 pm Reply with quote
Cutiebunny wrote:
whiskeyii wrote:
But my major complaint has gotta' be Helios from that still. >.> That's not a...great looking horse.

It's more or less a copy of the original settei for Pegasus in SuperS. The first few stock images of Pegasus from 1995 looked equally poor. It's not really until later episodes where horse form looks really good.

It feels very odd to me to see sequences that were originally animated by Itoh (she did all the Inner bank attack sequences from SuperS/Stars) now being drawn by Tadano. Having met Itoh and knowing how much she hates SM, I don't know if she would have returned to animate those even if she were asked by Toei. But despite the flashy new colors and effects, the animation just does not look as polished in these attacks as they were when Itoh drew them. Granted, what was shown was just a snippet, but I already miss Itoh's style.

I hope Miho Shimogasa returns to the project as well. Her comical expressions were the best, and I don't think that SuperS would be done justice without her.

Qulex wrote:
Please do your research..

Toei has treated Sailor Moon like garbage for years. I went to Toei Animation Studio in 2008. All the Sailor Moon stuff had been pushed to the hallway where it was exposed to heavy sunlight. All the merchandise they had was heavily bleached by the sunlight. Meanwhile, all the Dragonball merchandise was treated with much more care. None of it was lingering in a glass shelf in the sunny hallway.

I'm talking about the current Toei, not the one before all the major changes they've undergone.
Cutiebunny

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2020 11:56 pm Reply with quote
Qulex wrote:
I'm talking about the current Toei, not the one before all the major changes they've undergone.

You're still comparing the treatment of other Toei properties to that of Sailor Moon. Regardless of their changes, Toei still believes that they could put poop in a sailor suit and people would buy it. And the sad thing here is that they're right. Nostalgia is a huge driving force for this property.

If Toei had treated Crystal with the same interest that it treats PreCure, they wouldn't have farmed out huge chunks of its animation to The Philippines. They would have instead put some of their best animators on the project, like bringing in former PreCure character designers like Hisashi Kagawa. Instead, they brought in Yukie Sato. At the time, Sato's major achievements had been key animation and episode director. That's not really the kind of person you want to put in charge of the character designs for a series unless you're already sure that whatever they produce will sell because fans already buy everything else.
Everlasting Coconut

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2020 12:21 am Reply with quote
whiskeyii wrote:
TsukasaElkKite wrote:

Maybe I'll blind/too much of a normie to tell, but it looks pretty same to the last season of Crystal to me! ^^;

It's definitely similar, but not quite the same. This image does a great job at showing the differences in character design over the years.
NJ_

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2020 12:34 am Reply with quote
Cutiebunny wrote:
Having met Itoh and knowing how much she hates SM, I don't know if she would have returned to animate those even if she were asked by Toei.

Could you please elaborate on this? I myself was disappointed she didn't return for this project knowing that she got involved with their Butt Detective show around the time Tadano was officially announced.

Ironically there were similar reactions with Butt Detective from some of the Precure fandom since this was also revealed while Hugtto was airing at the time (understandable given her history with Junichi Sato).

Quote:
They would have instead put some of their best animators on the project, like bringing in former PreCure character designers like Hisashi Kagawa. Instead, they brought in Yukie Sato. At the time, Sato's major achievements had been key animation and episode director. That's not really the kind of person you want to put in charge of the character designs for a series unless you're already sure that whatever they produce will sell because fans already buy everything else.

Slight correction but it's Sako and there's a rumor that she hated working on Crystal as well and that they wanted her back for season 3 but she refused.

Last edited by NJ_ on Fri Apr 24, 2020 12:51 am; edited 1 time in total
Qulex

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2020 12:50 am Reply with quote
Cutiebunny wrote:
Qulex wrote:

You're still comparing the treatment of other Toei properties to that of Sailor Moon. Regardless of their changes, Toei still believes that they could put poop in a sailor suit and people would buy it. And the sad thing here is that they're right. Nostalgia is a huge driving force for this property.

If Toei had treated Crystal with the same interest that it treats PreCure, they wouldn't have farmed out huge chunks of its animation to The Philippines. They would have instead put some of their best animators on the project, like bringing in former PreCure character designers like Hisashi Kagawa. Instead, they brought in Yukie Sato. At the time, Sato's major achievements had been key animation and episode director. That's not really the kind of person you want to put in charge of the character designs for a series unless you're already sure that whatever they produce will sell because fans already buy everything else.

Considering the key animators that participated in this movie it is more than anyone could have hoped for. Kazuhiro Ota, Shingo Fujii, etc. They are on a different level than the people you mentioned. "Some of their best animators" and "Hisashi Kagawa" in the same sentence is a bold statement, his designs aren't bad by any means (Toriko is VERY debatable), but his own key animation leaves a lot to be desired. Designs is a subjective topic anyway, Kon's direction and the individual key animators will carry the movie.
NJ_

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2020 12:57 am Reply with quote
Qulex wrote:
Considering the key animators that participated in this movie it is more than anyone could have hoped for. Kazuhiro Ota, Shingo Fujii, etc. They are on a different level than the people you mentioned. "Some of their best animators" and "Hisashi Kagawa" in the same sentence is a bold statement, his designs aren't bad by any means (Toriko is VERY debatable), but his own key animation leaves a lot to be desired. Designs is a subjective topic anyway, Kon's direction and the individual key animators will carry the movie.

You brought up some of Toei's regulars (which were pretty known thanks to certain people on Twitter) but has there been any update on who or how DEEN is involved with these?

Speaking of Kagawa, apparently he has a small part in these films.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2