• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Chihayafuru 3

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
John Thacker

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2020 5:29 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Even so, it doesn't seem worth it to make someone you care about cry. What kind of love is that? It's the kind of thing you can't even feign ignorance about, because if you don't know that your actions would cause grief in a loved one, isn't it just as bad?

Unfortunately, those of us who are parents of toddlers like Haruka know that sometimes they're going to cry and you're going to cause them grief by taking time out for yourself occasionally. That's especially the case with an infant or toddler who is still nursing and has a clear preference for Mom (or other primary caregiver.) Having to sit there with Mom in sight but not be able to be held by her is a tremendous source of grief at that age, and I can completely understand why her husband took the kids somewhere else during one of her matches. (And, yes, while it can be exasperating to be the primary caregiver that the kids always want, it can also be painful to be the other parent that the child screams and cries because the child wants the other one, not you.)

Yes, love is about self-sacrifice, but certainly the extreme view of what you're saying, Bamboo, is exactly the cause societal pressure for Haruka to devote herself to her kids 100 percent. She knows that competing is going to cause grief in her youngest, but she has to accept that. Yes, as parents we try to rationalize this by saying that it's always for their own good, but sometimes we do have to take care of ourselves.
Panino Manino

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2020 9:14 pm Reply with quote
Any other person here also shares my opinion that Chihaya is the least sympathetic of the group?
It's personally hard for me to care about her suffering in situations like of this episode because Chihaya is the person in their group that's always oblivious to what's happening around her with her friends. The reason why she can't understand what is happening around her is because she never takes the initiative to stop and think and care about others. It's just always her and Karuta, as consequence when she notices something else she ends surprised.
Ruri Lee

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2020 12:46 am Reply with quote
Panino Manino wrote:
Any other person here also shares my opinion that Chihaya is the least sympathetic of the group?
It's personally hard for me to care about her suffering in situations like of this episode because Chihaya is the person in their group that's always oblivious to what's happening around her with her friends. The reason why she can't understand what is happening around her is because she never takes the initiative to stop and think and care about others. It's just always her and Karuta, as consequence when she notices something else she ends surprised.

I agree...but some people are incurably dense. Or they simply just have a different wave length that makes them think in a different way. It's not entirely about initiative. Sometimes even if there is initiative, there isn't result. They're not at all bad people, but they also won't understand unless you nudge them in a certain direction, or explain to them a little bit.

I have a friends like Chihaya, that won't ever notice certain things on their own, but when I explain a little bit, they're very willing to introspect on it. So for me, I think respect and communication is equally important.
Panino Manino

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2020 7:01 am Reply with quote
I just don't like Chihaya as much as I like others, I'm not "blaming" her for anything like it was "her fault". People shouldn't blame others for her dramas, people shouldn't be blaming any character and searching for "culprits" for anything, actually.
Mike33rs

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2020 10:01 pm Reply with quote
I love this show. I have loved it through all three seasons, despite it's unbalance. It's so frustrating to see both Chihaya's story and Taichi's story play out to their fullest, while Arata gets the shaft. My opinion, of course. And I do understand why it plays out this way due to Arata living in a different town. But still...to see these two selfish "kids" (I wanted to use a few stronger words, but I digress) go about their ways. Chihaya: all she seems to care about is Kurata, this game that she loves SO MUCH that was introduced to her NOT by Taichi, but by Arata, who loves it just as much as she does and loves HER even more..and Taichi...ever present, ever SELFISH Taichi. Arata was ABSOLUTELY on point when he called him out for being a coward. A true coward in every sense of the word, who can take or leave Kurata seemingly like he can change his clothes or shoes. Things don't go his way, he's ready to abandon the game he loves, which is a farce anyway. He's only in it for the love of Chihaya, and to beat Arata and take away from him both the game that he loved and was taught by his beloved Grandmaster Grandfather, AND take away Chihaya as well, leaving him nothing. They deserve each other. Arata deserves better. That's what I want to say, and how I feel, but I just keep rooting for my boy Arata. Teased and picked on by Taichi growing up, Taichi deserves to lose this prize of winning Chihaya's heart. And I hope he does lose.
-SP-

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2020 3:40 pm Reply with quote
Mike33rs wrote:
I love this show. I have loved it through all three seasons, despite it's unbalance. It's so frustrating to see both Chihaya's story and Taichi's story play out to their fullest, while Arata gets the shaft. My opinion, of course. And I do understand why it plays out this way due to Arata living in a different town. But still...to see these two selfish "kids" (I wanted to use a few stronger words, but I digress) go about their ways. Chihaya: all she seems to care about is Kurata, this game that she loves SO MUCH that was introduced to her NOT by Taichi, but by Arata, who loves it just as much as she does and loves HER even more..and Taichi...ever present, ever SELFISH Taichi. Arata was ABSOLUTELY on point when he called him out for being a coward. A true coward in every sense of the word, who can take or leave Kurata seemingly like he can change his clothes or shoes. Things don't go his way, he's ready to abandon the game he loves, which is a farce anyway. He's only in it for the love of Chihaya, and to beat Arata and take away from him both the game that he loved and was taught by his beloved Grandmaster Grandfather, AND take away Chihaya as well, leaving him nothing. They deserve each other. Arata deserves better. That's what I want to say, and how I feel, but I just keep rooting for my boy Arata. Teased and picked on by Taichi growing up, Taichi deserves to lose this prize of winning Chihaya's heart. And I hope he does lose.

I agree, I hope Taichi loses. I find him extremely annoying and underhanded, and his whole character pisses me off. Although I really want Arata to win, the way this seems to be headed, seems to be the exact opposite of what I want. It's such a shame that Arata doesn't get more screen time.
Folcwine P. Pywackett

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2020 4:28 pm Reply with quote
In a story that has been going on for 14 years, we have seen a total of 4 confessions, and not one of them has lead to a relationship, yet the fan base to a large degree is fanatical shoujo, and this section of the base has fractioned into (Arata X Chihaya) VS (Taichi X Chihaya) where emotions and insults of almost a religious fervor has held so many in thrall.
ANN has perhaps the only sane discussion of this story which is why I am posting.
I hate to remind people but Chihayafuru is about an obscure, Japanese card game based on ancient Japanese poetry. That is just obvious. I mean if in Haikyu! there happens to be a confession, suddenly its not about competitive vollyball, but its Shoujo? Silly! I have been with Chiyhayafuru for almost its entire run so far, and I do not love this story because its about Romance. I love this story because it is excellently told, and it makes me care about the characters and a game which I still do not understand. When a story does that to your feels you stay with it. I am not here for the Romance. I am here for the story. I like a good Romance like most people, but there has not been any Romance in Chihayafuru. Its all a tease. Three of the confessions were throw away, and more comical than serious. Taichi's confession was everything a Shoujo fan lives for! It hit every cliche in genre except one. I can imagine a legion of teenage girls swooning in their bedrooms, Rudolph "The Sheik" Valentino style, "Oh God, Oh God, I so want those eyelashes!" But it you have been tracking the actual story, there is a substantial shoujo genre problem with this confession. This is a direct quote from Taichi, "I love you but......not everything about you. I don't like who you become when you think about Arata." What the frick-frack? Talk about breaking the genre! If my boyfriend confessed to me like that, I would throw him out of a 10th story window. You are so immature and insecure that you cannot handle my relationship with another male? But that is what makes Taichi the most interesting character in the story. His arc shows the most change, and change he must if he is going to slip from under the domination of that mother Reiko Mashima. If ever a mother were to demonstrate how to produce a highly insecure son it is Ms. Mashima. Her love for Taichi is totally conditional, "If you want my love, then become a doctor." In a sense she is the villain of the story!

I don't care how this ends as long as the ending is good and satisfying because after 14 years, it better be a wing-bang ending. One person above suggested that maybe Chihaya picks nobody and I could go with that. But with the Meijin and Queen championships soon to be complete, and when the dust settles, University full speed ahead, we should soon see the contours of an ending. (I hope!)
Panino Manino

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2020 10:04 am Reply with quote
Folcwine P. Pywackett wrote:
In a story that has been going on for 14 years, we have seen a total of 4 confessions, and not one of them has lead to a relationship,

You mean, 4 confession in the anime adaptation?
I didn't count, but I remember at least one relationship that was made official and we can say that Chihaya relationship with Arata is already official, right? It's just the distance and the competitions getting in the way for how but it's just a matter of time until Arata moves to Tokyo.

Just saying because I agree with you, there's so much more beyond romance in this.
Folcwine P. Pywackett

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2020 2:19 pm Reply with quote
Well, there was spoiler[Arata's confession, then Taichi's confession, and in the manga Yusei's confession to Kanade, and immediately, Tsutomu's confession to Kanade. Yusei says he was only joking to force Tsutomu's hand in the matter.]

But none of these have lead to any relationships other than the relationships already in place.
There literally is no actual romance in Chihayafuru, and yet the romance fan base is almost out of their minds like this is the greatest shoujo story ever written.
What amazes me in my own likes, is how this story can take an obscure Japanese card game about ancient Japanese poetry which after 11 years, I still do not understand, and makes it totally exciting, and it does it consistently, and makes me want to care about these characters! For my likes, this is story telling magic.
I am currently researching a problem, and I cannot find the answer.
This story is centered around the 17th poem (which is Chihaya's card) whose first word is 千早ぶる chihayaburu
but the author chose to call her story Chihayafuru (ちはやふる)! The 千早 kanji transliterates to ちはや kana and both are pronounced chihaya (The name of the MC) but the suffix ending is subtle from buru to furu.
The question is why? I cannot find the answer anywhere, and even more mysterious, the sound CHI is most central and ancient meaning is blood, relates to the blood red Tatsuta river in Autumn. And both Chihaya and Taichi first names contain the CHI sound which links both to the poem which Chihaya calls her poem.
If you can help here, I would really appreciate any leads, because I am running out.
Thanks in advance.

[Edit]: added spoiler tags. Errinundra.
Zhou-BR

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2020 2:29 pm Reply with quote
You should have used spoiler tags in your first paragraph. I keep up with the manga, but not everybody here does.
Folcwine P. Pywackett

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2020 2:53 pm Reply with quote
I apologize. I didn't even answer your question, "....Chihaya relationship with Arata is already official, right?" Is it? I didn't read the story that way. Chihaya never accepted the confession, and their relationship does not appear to have changed from what it has always been. Do you see a change? What do you mean by "official"?

When a boy confesses, and he gets "sorry (gomen)" and he doesn't even hear it, but she does not react in a positive manner, well he assumes a no, even though the girl is spending all her time trying to become the Karuta Queen, and also studying for university exams, sorry could just as easily mean, "Taichi, I'm sorry but don't you see that I have absolutely no time for a Romance?, and by the way, neither do you! You have to book it hard to get into pre-med."
And then later that evening, the girl comes running madly down the street, pleading with you to come back." The guy thinks well maybe she does love me and so forces a kiss which does not appear to be returned. As many have commented, Chihaya is acting very self-centered and selfish, if its not actually disingenuous!

They are both 18 after all and act like it! Excellent story telling!

Zhou-BR wrote:
You should have used spoiler tags in your first paragraph. I keep up with the manga, but not everybody here does.

Sorry, I wasn't thinking. Its not a major spoiler in any case, and does not mean anything.
But in the future I will be more careful!

Thanks for the admonishment!
Panino Manino

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2020 4:35 pm Reply with quote
spoiler[Well, there was Arata's confession, then Taichi's confession, and in the manga Yusei's confession to Kanade, and immediately, Tsutomu's confession to Kanade. Yusei says he was only joking to force Tsutomu's hand in the matter.]

spoiler[Oe and Tsutumu are together, 100% sure and 200% official. They just don't appear much together in the manga because they are very discrete.]
Folcwine P. Pywackett

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2020 4:57 pm Reply with quote
Panino Manino wrote:
spoiler[Well, there was Arata's confession, then Taichi's confession, and in the manga Yusei's confession to Kanade, and immediately, Tsutomu's confession to Kanade. Yusei says he was only joking to force Tsutomu's hand in the matter.]

spoiler[Oe and Tsutumu are together, 100% sure and 200% official. They just don't appear much together in the manga because they are very discrete.]

spoiler[Yes, very discrete. I wasn't even paying that much attention, and it took me by surprise]
Lap

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2020 11:34 am Reply with quote
Quote:
As an aside, it's testament to Chihaya's own karuta talent that she was even able to pick up [Suo’s vision problems] after one match.

She had two other clues: Not only the sunglasses, but he gets hit in the head twice by kids’ soccer balls; one time a kid even chides him, “You should have ducked!”, implying that a person with normal vision would have seen it coming.

Edit: Correction, she saw one soccer ball hit. The other occurred in a flashback.

Also: Does anyone know where the Daddybear cloth Chihaya used to create Shinobu's impromptu tasuki came from? I recall Chihaya once saying something about having a signed Daddybear item, but can't recall what it was (or which episode she made that comment in).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4