• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Sing "Yesterday" for Me

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DerekL1963
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2020 3:17 pm Reply with quote
As a photographer, I facepalmed hard at the suggestion that it's the camera that makes the photograph or the photographer.
Panino Manino

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2020 4:21 pm Reply with quote
DerekL1963 wrote:
As a photographer, I facepalmed hard at the suggestion that it's the camera that makes the photograph or the photographer.

But he said the opposite and scoffed at those who buy cameras for the brand.
Panino Manino

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2020 10:04 pm Reply with quote
I always liked Chika and I believe she is a fan favorite, but it seems that people in this production LOVE her.
It's good and all that the sane production let all the staff work in peace with calm as it should be the standard for this industry, but let this aside, they did this with the clear purpose of being able to pay attention to the corporal animation of each different character. There's scenes when it almost seems like rotoscopy because how good the animation is, the number of framas is unreal! (nice giver advert Laughing)

So, the animation will never drop, it'll actually increase in quality during selected episodes and scenes, fantastic!

Now talking about what actually happens in the episode, this scene here was a highlight to me:

This was one of those that "are hard to watch".
Chika was talking with Rikuo and had just gave him and example of her not lamenting her past and using what her past gave her to move on on her current situation, and then Rikuo responds like that... he is scared.
Like, super duper scared.
The episode started with him flipping the pages of a photography magazine, looking at camera's adverts he could buy but still didn't. Remember how the was eyeing some camera that he could buy with a three month salary? How many months already passed since then? He already have the money but still didn't up and bought the camera.
When his boss talked with him about a better job offer where he could grow his first thought was negative, that the door had closed to him, not open.
He is still froze, paralyzed by fear to start trying.
Makes me wonder what Chika thought about him now and his current situation.

If you pay attention there's a small time jump during her conversation with Shinako. Between after Chika finishes talking and Shinako leaving the apartment, there's the little scene with Kinoshita and Rikuo in the store where Kinoshita comments about how Rikuo still has some hope with Shinako.

Makes me think that Shinako explained the whole situation to Chika and how she is feeling and this made Chika decide to left (she was already shown thinking about the current situation seriously before). Makes you feel, or fear, that she was thinking about the risk of falling in love with Rikuo this time and that's why she left to let him for Shinako to "take care". It's a pity, the same way Minato could be a good pair for Haru also Chika could be one for Rikuo. Sometimes people just need someone close to give support and watch along the hard way, right?
But the way it is, everyone of them will have to fight their demons alone.
Treeborn

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2020 2:52 pm Reply with quote
My reaction to this episode was:

Chika introduced: Oh great, another new character to focus on instead of the main cast Confused
Episode continues: What the?? This girl is actually making the show interesting again! Shocked

Please don't tell me we have to wait to see her again. If she got the boot just so the story could focus on the kid again next episode, I'm out.
meiam

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2020 4:15 pm Reply with quote
Treeborn wrote:
My reaction to this episode was:

Chika introduced: Oh great, another new character to focus on instead of the main cast Confused
Episode continues: What the?? This girl is actually making the show interesting again! Shocked

Please don't tell me we have to wait to see her again. If she got the boot just so the story could focus on the kid again next episode, I'm out.

Gone like the wind, another character later will be introduce that's kinda similar, maybe?
Panino Manino

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2020 5:59 pm Reply with quote
Common people, there's no clear set formula here. Insisting still on seeing this story go the way you want is recipe for disaster.
Treeborn

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2020 7:28 pm Reply with quote
Meiam She's gone for good?? Nooo... This was one of the best episodes so far, was hoping she'd keep things interesting :/

Panino Manino wrote:
Common people, there's no clear set formula here. Insisting still on seeing this story go the way you want is recipe for disaster.

IDK. I don't really see anything wrong with hoping a series spends more time on characters you find interesting, and less time on those you don't. Either way, next episode will decide if I stay with the show or not. Past few episodes just haven't been doing it for me, which is a shame because I really enjoyed the series at first. Here's hoping for a good next episode.
Panino Manino

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2020 7:30 am Reply with quote
Treeborn wrote:

IDK. I don't really see anything wrong with hoping a series spends more time on characters you find interesting, and less time on those you don't. Either way, next episode will decide if I stay with the show or not. Past few episodes just haven't been doing it for me, which is a shame because I really enjoyed the series at first. Here's hoping for a good next episode.

The ED this episode appears to be saying that "a phase" of the story ended, promising that that next episode the story will progress more.
At least Rikuo will change jobs, like we can see in the MV:

Treeborn

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2020 2:06 am Reply with quote
Episode 7:

Nope, nope, nope.

You know, I've dropped plenty of anime in the past for various reasons. The series wasn't a genre I was interested in. The story was boring or went off the rails partway through. The characters were nothing but walking tropes, or there were just one too many cliches written into the script. Many, many reasons. But I have never hated characters to the point that it ruins the entire show for me.

I made it through 2 seasons of SAO even though I hate Kirito. I made it through 3 seasons of MHA even though I find Midorya mind-numbingly boring. I'm still keeping up with AoT even though I hate Eren and Mikasa. But Shinako and the kid are just sooo bad, so terrible to watch, that I can't take another second of them. In all my years of watching anime, I've never seen such s#@$ characters. I've never even come close to hating a villain as much as I hate these two characters. And yes, I HATE them. My distaste for them is that strong.

I'm just going to read a summary of what happens to the actual good characters in the end. No more. Done.
Panino Manino

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2020 9:45 am Reply with quote
The characters in this aren't written just for the reader/viewer enjoyment, they aren't written just to be liked. They have each their own characters that they are trying to solve and mostly failing.
Not liking them is natural, but to "hate"? Hate characters that clearly have mental healthy problems? It's a bit too much of a reaction to have.
Treeborn

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2020 10:36 am Reply with quote
Panino Manino wrote:
The characters in this aren't written just for the reader/viewer enjoyment, they aren't written just to be liked. They have each their own characters that they are trying to solve and mostly failing.
Not liking them is natural, but to "hate"? Hate characters that clearly have mental healthy problems? It's a bit too much of a reaction to have.

Having a "mental health problem" absolutely does not give people a pass to act however they want. In all my years of life, I've come across plenty of people with mental disorders (I'm even related to one), and I can tell you that a few of them have used their disorder to manipulate people. Hell, at my current job, someone with a disorder was hired a few months ago who took advantage of the sympathy he received from our female co-workers to start creeping on them. Now they stay away from him.

And yes, not all characters are written to be liked. That's obvious. As I said before, this is the first time in 8 years that I've let my dislike of a character ruin a show for me. But Shinako and the kid are a new level. The kids skin color set her off? Are you kidding me? Next the way he breathes is gonna set her off. I would understand if dwelling on the past was part of her character, but when that's all that her character is, then it becomes irritating. And the boy is just a horny little anxious highschool boy who never stops whining.

"Hey Shinako, wanna hang out?"
"I can't today, I still have a lot of work I need to finish."
"...So you hate me and think I'm trash then."

Maybe you can take more of this, but I can't.
Panino Manino

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2020 2:37 pm Reply with quote
Treeborn wrote:

Maybe you can take more of this, but I can't.

Just a tip, is a minor spoiler, but you may like to know about this (even if you don't watch anymore):

spoiler[After he discovers what happened in the end of this episode between Rikuo and Shinako, Rou flees home and starts living with a nude model.
Seriously. ]
dm
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2020 9:27 pm Reply with quote
I think the new ending animation deserves at least a little mention. It's hilarious, though it makes me feel for poor Haru.

Makes me suspect the staff binge-watched Hi score girl.

Interesting movement among our main cast this week. It is too early to tell what will come of all this, and I'm a little surprised to see some of this happening this early in the season.
TexZero

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2020 2:25 pm Reply with quote
Treeborn wrote:
But Shinako and the kid are a new level. The kids skin color set her off? Are you kidding me? Next the way he breathes is gonna set her off. I would understand if dwelling on the past was part of her character, but when that's all that her character is, then it becomes irritating. And the boy is just a horny little anxious highschool boy who never stops whining.

I feel like not only did you greatly miss the point of the interactions your railing against, you've also grossly mischaracterized them.

Shinako isn't only living in the past, she's constantly being reminded and tormented by it.
Every time she interacts with Rou all that happens is that her trauma's come back to the surface trapping her in her own mind unable to move forward because she's constantly brought back to a past she can only yearn and weep for. This is made pretty evident when she interacts with Rikuo and becomes much more outgoing and even jealous in situations that she cannot explain. This was showcased during her teachers night out and also when she met the Rikuo's ex.

Rou likewise is being woefully misunderstood. He's not just a horny kid, he's a kid whose walking through unrequited love for the first time. He's learning that you can't force your feelings on others and that's not something that's easy to learn in your teenage years. Many young adults go through this, and i'd wager you have too, or maybe you didn't and that's why can't understand it.
dm
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2020 10:03 pm Reply with quote
It seems like I only come along to sing the praises of the ED, which is much simpler, but backed with a dynamite song (called, "Sing yesterday for me"), and some truly lovely imagery.

I love the way the Shimako/Rikuo relationship is stumbling along, and glad to see growth all around.

I was glad to see Haru hanging out with her mother and step-father for New Years', but now I wonder whose house she lives in --- I was under the impression that traditional Japanese houses like the one she's in were pretty up-scale.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4