• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Ilya Kuvshinov Gets Virtual Artwork Exhibition in VRChat

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kougeru

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2020 9:03 pm Reply with quote
He's reason #2 I don't want to support 2045. Amazing how plagiarists can be so successful
GlassesMan

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2020 9:36 pm Reply with quote
I've been following his Deviantart for a while, but didn't realize he got this big. Good for him.
Cimarosa

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2020 10:00 pm Reply with quote
say no to plagiarism
olgita

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 12:56 am Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
He's reason #2 I don't want to support 2045. Amazing how plagiarists can be so successful

What's the story? Could someone fill me in on this?
turboFriend

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 6:14 am Reply with quote
olgita wrote:
Kougeru wrote:

Punch Drunk Marc

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 6:40 am Reply with quote
olgita wrote:
Kougeru wrote:

Right? I need some context to this. Can't just be throwing out wild accusations with no citations.
casenumber00

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 8:11 am Reply with quote
Punch Drunk Marc wrote:
olgita wrote:
Kougeru wrote:

Right? I need some context to this. Can't just be throwing out wild accusations with no citations.

For starters.

Churba

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 8:15 am Reply with quote
Punch Drunk Marc wrote:
olgita wrote:
Kougeru wrote:

Ilya-kun here has made a living off drawing the same girl in slight variation. He is a hack by any stretch of the word. He's also a copies images and tries to pass them off as his own.
mulletZERO

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 10:14 am Reply with quote
casenumber00 wrote:
Punch Drunk Marc wrote:
olgita wrote:
Kougeru wrote:

For starters.

I'm confused about the Deviantart comment. Did Ilya write that or is that someone commenting on his work? "Critique by Kr0nprinz" that was his old screen name, which is why I'm confused.
AliceTheHare

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 10:19 am Reply with quote
casenumber00 wrote:
Punch Drunk Marc wrote:
olgita wrote:
Kougeru wrote:

For starters.

First of all fanart isn't plagiarism, second fan artists use official art for references or to do their own takes on all the time, or are you gonna tell me those DBZ or Sailor Moon reanimated videos or screenshot redraws are plagiarism as well? The examples you're giving are a really big stretch.
Sam Murai

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 12:13 pm Reply with quote
AliceTheHare wrote:
casenumber00 wrote:
Punch Drunk Marc wrote:
olgita wrote:
Kougeru wrote:

For starters.

[IMAGE]

First of all fanart isn't plagiarism, second fan artists use official art for references or to do their own takes on all the time, or are you gonna tell me those DBZ or Sailor Moon reanimated videos or screenshot redraws are plagiarism as well? The examples you're giving are a really big stretch.

I have really loathed plagiarism and have seen some blatant, unrepentant examples, but I've always had the impression that Kuvshinov was purposely reproducing work in his own visual style, long before I've seen any accusation. It never felt like he was trying to pass the work as original, and while a few of the examples are trace-close, he's not someone that seems to elicit grabbing a pitchfork over.

And, for what it's worth, he even apparently addressed the issue in 2015.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Psajdak

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 12:28 pm Reply with quote
I believe that he never really tried to steal anyone's work.

Besides, at this point he really improved his own style, which is recognizable, and beloved by thousands of people.

He's an amazing artist, and I hope he will work on more anime one day.
marshmallowpie

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2020 3:45 am Reply with quote
turboFriend wrote:
olgita wrote:
Kougeru wrote:

[img]

Drawing an extremely stylized picture based off of a photo really doesn't seem like planarian to me. Faye looks very traced, but it's one of the only ones that does. Ones like Asuka or the Ghibli ones just seen like regular screenshot redraws, something that used to be really popular, of moments that are ridiculously iconic, that any fan would immediately recognise. But Hermoine and Yoko really discredit this image. (I suppose there might be some cosplayers who would take issue to having their photo used without permission, if that was the case, but here, the art looks barely like the cosplayer.)
hikura

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2020 8:42 pm Reply with quote
Doing things like this is a good idea.Espically for those who couldn't make it to say a live showing of the artwork.
I liked his artwork and have his artbook.I did not know about the controversy.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1