• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: My Next Life as a Villainess: All Routes Lead to Doom!

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
meiam

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2020 3:13 pm Reply with quote
So... did the author ever comment on Sirius Diekes name... That was intentional and actually made it trough to printing (I'm imagining the author containing his laughter will the editor is reading the proof without knowing english)? I find it absolutely hilarious (not so much the name itself but the fact that it was printed) though and I'm wondering how it'll fit in. Is he actually a girl something?
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2020 7:41 pm Reply with quote
Maybe incorrect, but right now I suspect Sirius Dieke will turn out to be a villain or something, the shot of him in the OP putting on a sweet smile followed by it multiplied makes me wonder if that smile is fake and he may be twofaced. Just reminds me of how a lot of villain characters can be portrayed in these sort of things. If it does happen, I kind of wonder if he might have always been a secret villain of the game against Maria or lead to the bad ends that Catarina would face. I just want to call him a serious dick.

I kind of like Mary, perhaps for how thirsty she is for Catarina, even if admittedly it is probably unhealthy.
michizure

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2020 9:48 pm Reply with quote
Given Bakarina's unshakeable status as Dense RomCom Protagonist, I'm betting on the Harem End. More interesting is how to achieve it?

Episode 4's best moment is 20:55, when Geordo realizes that Catarina has charmed Maria, making yet another rival for him.

Interesting thought: in her former life in Japan, Catarina had played Fortune Lover -- as the protagonist, Maria. Her memories of the game are (or should be) all from Maria's perspective, give or take a cut scene or two. No wonder, then, that Catarina is smitten with her from the moment they meet.
Uchay

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2020 11:35 am Reply with quote
Maria is indeed a MC in an otome game.

You can tell she's a master at woo'ing others. Using her homemade sweets to conquer Bakarina's stomach to pave her way to the heart? You can tell it's even working as intended, considering how Bakarina is already smitten with her. She knows how to rack up those affection points. Laughing

No, really, it legit reminds me of my playthroughs on Harvest Moon in which I'd make a thousand chocolate cakes to dump on the character I was trying to conquer to get enough points to the next Heart event. It's basically the same situation!

If I didn't know any better, I'd say she was using a guide, that clever MC. The rest of the Harem should look out for her.

Bakarina is denser than a blakchole, but that doesn't mean our MC isn't working very hard.
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2020 10:03 am Reply with quote
Serious Dick, now that is a fun name.

Like the reviewer I too ship bakarina with bunny chan / the bookworm.

regarding bakarina's stump magic I have this head canon that her magic power is so high she is shifting all the planet to create that bump, so when that small stump show up, a small hole is made on the other side of the planet.
rolvtd

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2020 1:37 am Reply with quote
That's actually hilarious, cause in my head cannon, Katarina was right; that earth magic can be be improved by farming but no noble would ever take that direction. Why is her magic not improving? Cause she's not an Earth mage, she matches Georde and is a Fire mage. She's ACTUALLY moving lava when she does her earth bump, but its so deep she can only effect a small amount.

maximilianjenus wrote:

Like the reviewer I too ship bakarina with bunny chan / the bookworm.

regarding bakarina's stump magic I have this head canon that her magic power is so high she is shifting all the planet to create that bump, so when that small stump show up, a small hole is made on the other side of the planet.
Gray Lensman

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2020 4:23 pm Reply with quote
maximilianjenus wrote:

Due to the spelling I wasn't sure at first if it was pronounced Serious Dick or Serious Dyke, giving me the first impression that the character might actually be a crossdressing girl (It's how ALL women protagonists in Shakespeare solve things!). Knowing the character is a guy just makes me think of a certain Monty Python skit.

"Does anyone wish to laugh at the name of my friend....Biggus....Dickus?"
Yuvelir

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2020 4:54 pm Reply with quote
Gray Lensman wrote:
maximilianjenus wrote:

Due to the spelling I wasn't sure at first if it was pronounced Serious Dick or Serious Dyke, giving me the first impression that the character might actually be a crossdressing girl (It's how ALL women protagonists in Shakespeare solve things!). Knowing the character is a guy just makes me think of a certain Monty Python skit.

"Does anyone wish to laugh at the name of my friend....Biggus....Dickus?"

Honestly, with his looks and eyelashes that was my first thought, that he was an "oujiko" character. And then he started speaking.
Actar

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2020 6:34 pm Reply with quote
Neko-sensei wrote:
Forgive me if I'm stating the obvious, but I just can't get over how gloriously positive the whole worldview of this series is. Every one of Catarina's actions demonstrates that the only way to save oneself is by being decent to others, because other people will return decency with decency.

The old, villainous Catarina's whole problem was that she assumed that the safest position was above others, keeping them down so they couldn't hurt her—which works only until one discovers that people told that they're at the bottom of a hierarchy naturally want to be on top. Throw contempt, get contempt. The new Catarina's goal is not to "win," but simply not to lose by antagonizing those who might resent her... and funnily enough, not trying to put yourself above others is all it takes to make people think of you as a good person, and to achieve the kind of stable life that the old Catarina could only dream of. Lend a hand, get a hand.

It's such a simple message, but it's so darn earnestly delivered and so darned wholesome. We all need a dose of stories like this every once in a while.

DIS. SO. MUCH. I'm not only sick and tired of all the selfishness and cynicism going around, but the fact that I feel like I'm being forced to be selfish and cynical in order to stand a chance and survive. It's draining. It's tiring. It's exhausting.
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2020 12:04 am Reply with quote
Funny thing I have stumbled enough "the villainess now acts like a decent person to avoid gettting a bad end", That I found the one where she is still very egoistical a breath of fresh air.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2020 4:27 pm Reply with quote
All that shipping is fine and dandy. But at the end of the day Prince Jeord still presents a firm barrier.

They are still engaged.
He has known her the longest. He has been actually interested in her since her first attempts at farming, and visited her as much as he could.

You could argue that she has been so dense about that, that it doesn't matter. And maybe on the conscious level you could be right, but down there in the sub-conscious it matters quite a bit.

There could be life altering events that happen, that could change that dynamic. But I haven't seen that yet.
Kaylee Smerbeck

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2020 4:59 pm Reply with quote
Curious how much the Yuri market is abroad. Here in the US it's mostly queer women
michizure

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2020 5:59 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Catarina's years of magical training have given her the spell “Earth Bump”, which allows her to summon a tiny mound of earth from the ground that can be mildly inconvenient to would-be bullies and passersby. It's adorable.

In the game, Evil Catarina's Earth Bump was only big enough to cause Maria to stub her toe and trip. That our Catarina can now raise her Earth Bump with enough force to dump Mean Girl on her ass from a standing position is a significant power-up.

I was amused by the giant pumpkin, but I discover there are examples almost as big (though not as pretty) in the real world.
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 9:51 am Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:
All that shipping is fine and dandy. But at the end of the day Prince Jeord still presents a firm barrier.

They are still engaged.
He has known her the longest. He has been actually interested in her since her first attempts at farming, and visited her as much as he could.

You could argue that she has been so dense about that, that it doesn't matter. And maybe on the conscious level you could be right, but down there in the sub-conscious it matters quite a bit.

There could be life altering events that happen, that could change that dynamic. But I haven't seen that yet.

But there is katarina's memories as a factor, and in those the prince outright kills her.
Birriaman

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 12:05 pm Reply with quote
I would so love for this anime to take a dark turn during the second half...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 3 of 9