• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba Anime Wins Japan Character Award's Top Prize

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
toprak

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2020 4:33 pm Reply with quote
It deserved.
Slashman

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2020 8:43 pm Reply with quote
Otakuch wrote:
It deserved.

I agree...but is this really a series for elementary schoolers? Like does it not have some really dark elements in it that you wouldn't want your kids reading?
Meongantuk

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2020 12:28 am Reply with quote
Slashman wrote:
Otakuch wrote:
It deserved.

I agree...but is this really a series for elementary schoolers? Like does it not have some really dark elements in it that you wouldn't want your kids reading?

Shounen Jump target demographic is around 10 y.o and above. A 10 year old kid is a 4th or 5th grader.
I mean, If stuff like Animorph or Goosebumps can pass as book for kids, I don't see why kimetsu couldn't?
Slashman

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2020 4:51 pm Reply with quote
Meongantuk wrote:
Slashman wrote:
Otakuch wrote:
It deserved.

Shounen Jump target demographic is around 10 y.o and above. A 10 year old kid is a 4th or 5th grader.
I mean, If stuff like Animorph or Goosebumps can pass as book for kids, I don't see why kimetsu couldn't?

Wait...do you know what's actually in Kimetsu no Yaiba? Like the main protagonists family being brutally killed. And the demon who feasts on young girls. The ghost brother and sister who were murdered while fighting a demon for their demon slayer tests? Or the broken "family" of spider demons who tore and killed each other when one of them stepped out of line of playing the perfect family? Or the way they tortured Nezuko to make her turn on humans?

How do the things in those books compare to Kimetsu no Yaiba?
Hal14

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2020 4:56 pm Reply with quote
Slashman wrote:
Meongantuk wrote:
Slashman wrote:
Otakuch wrote:
It deserved.

Wait...do you know what's actually in Kimetsu no Yaiba? Like the main protagonists family being brutally killed. And the demon who feasts on young girls. The ghost brother and sister who were murdered while fighting a demon for their demon slayer tests? Or the broken "family" of spider demons who tore and killed each other when one of them stepped out of line of playing the perfect family? Or the way they tortured Nezuko to make her turn on humans?

I don't remember much of goosebumps, but animorphs had some body horror and some of the later books had more serious story elements, i believe in one they went to an AU were the confederacy won the american civil war and so they ended up killing a bunch of confederate soldiers and some of the main characters died.
Slashman

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2020 7:01 pm Reply with quote
HAL14 wrote:
Slashman wrote:
Meongantuk wrote:
Slashman wrote:
Otakuch wrote:
It deserved.

I don't remember much of goosebumps, but animorphs had some body horror and some of the later books had more serious story elements, i believe in one they went to an AU were the confederacy won the american civil war and so they ended up killing a bunch of confederate soldiers and some of the main characters died.

Hmmm...not sure that really compares to Kimetsu no Yaiba though. Like most of the story is dark and disturbing. It's a great story but I would say definitely not for kids.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2020 10:24 pm Reply with quote
People forget Fist of the North Star ran in Shonen Jump. Saint Seiya was also popular with kids and it was pretty violent.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2020 2:04 am Reply with quote
Japan apparently has a more looser definition of "kid-friendly". There are some series that might be deemed a kid- or teen-friendly tthere that is more of an R-rated or series in the U.S.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1