• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: High School Prodigies Have It Easy Even In Another World

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ThatGuyWhoLikesThings

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2020 6:12 pm Reply with quote
I'm curious why this is being reviewed now several months after it ended. Was ANN just waiting for the dub to finish? Or was it just forgotten?

Anyway this mostly mirrors my thoughts on it: like a lot of isekai it's pretty lacking in worldbuilding, and considerably more contrived in other areas and requires a lot of suspension of disbelief (almost certainly a result of the anime not devoting the time to explaining any of the happenings; i know that the manga does explain how Ringo was establish communication with their phones) but the characters are inoffensive if maybe perhaps a few of them being a bit overly simplistic, with Tsukasa and Ringo and Merchant being the best of the bunch and Shinobu was a treat to watch at least, and the series can sometimes be pretty fun. I just wish there was more actual plot happening. From what I've seen the series does go in a seemingly intriguing direction later but I don't imagine the anime will tell any of that.

So, hardly awful, but that I hardly thought about this show at all a week after it ended probably says a lot. Cute girls though. Could use less rapey stuff. The manga, in a rare twist, actually downplayed that compared to the anime.
Covnam

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2020 6:52 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for the review Theron, I appreciate you picking up these series that get left out of the seasonal reviews.
Key

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2020 6:54 pm Reply with quote
ThatGuyWhoLikesThings wrote:
I'm curious why this is being reviewed now several months after it ended. Was ANN just waiting for the dub to finish? Or was it just forgotten?

We're going back and taking a look at some slightly older series that never got proper full or episode reviews, so you might see other titles from two or more seasons back pop up soon; I'm planning to go back and look at Kandagawa Jet Girls before the week's out, for instance.

That this one had a dub to review, too, was just an added bonus.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2020 7:01 pm Reply with quote
I am shocked that this review is so positive since this show is easily the most toxic isekai I have seen.
The fact that this show has such a hard right wing agenda that it borders on fascism quite disturbing to me, as a republican.

The idea that eugenics, unbridled capitalism, and political ques are totally fine because our people are the good guys and we are good. you just had to get rid of one bad person and it's perfect.

ALSO DEAR LORD let the girls in this show do something! Them just being booth babes to sell magic mayo as their own contribution is quite disgusting.

Last edited by Tanteikingdomkey on Mon May 11, 2020 7:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2020 7:03 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
ThatGuyWhoLikesThings wrote:

We're going back and taking a look at some slightly older series that never got proper full or episode reviews, so you might see other titles from two or more seasons back pop up soon; I'm planning to go back and look at Kandagawa Jet Girls before the week's out, for instance.

That this one had a dub to review, too, was just an added bonus.

I imagine that given the production situation in japan delaying a ton of shows, that it makes sense to go back and review other series, especially if they got big pushes by publishers.
ThatGuyWhoLikesThings

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2020 7:18 pm Reply with quote
Tanteikingdomkey wrote:
The idea that eugenics, unbridled capitalism, and political ques are totally fine because our people are the good guys and we are good. you just had to get rid of one bad person and it's perfect.

I think by the end it's made pretty clear that our heroes probably aren't the most moralistic. That Tsukasa is willing to build a nuke and that it's framed in such a way that he's clearly not making a good choice and even Ringo his most devoted ally isn't too keen on the idea. I don't think we're meant to inherently agree with every action they make, but of course it ends before we know exactly for sure what exactly the long-term plan is.

Quote:
ALSO DEAR LORD let the girls in this show do something! Them just being booth babes to sell magic mayo as their own contribution is quite disgusting.

Shinobu is constantly providing information with her espionage, Ringo has her inventions, and are we forgetting when Aoi guided a missile to hit it's intended target, saving the lives of everyone else? Aoi in general provides a lot of the brawn. Yes, the girls provide a lot of fanservice, but it's not like they're useless otherwise.[/quote]
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2020 7:30 pm Reply with quote
@guy who likes things
Yes the girls CAN do something for the plot, but for me it always comes across as a plot contrivance like this review mentions. I wanted the girls to have time devoted to their contributions, and their development as their own people and not connected to someone else.

I get that some people can feel that the ultimate politician is morally gray, I mean he has done some pretty horrible stuff. but I never got the impression that he was anything less then a moral paragon who is able to do things like kill his dad because the ends justify the means. but it has zero effect on him at all,....versus you know an actual person.

And that last bit isn't just about him but most of the genius actually. like celebrating that one of them was the result of eugenics. or that business guy is so much better then the previous terrible business people because he does exactly what they do.....Just not quite as bad! never mind the questionable stuff he does because HE's really a good and decent guy and is a totally on our side.
Covnam

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2020 12:19 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:

That's great to see. I'm sure a number potentially entertaining series slip through every season. I know I've been heading in to my backlog while things are a bit light, so it's great to see the reviewers are doing the same =)
Mongoose

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2020 1:51 am Reply with quote
Tanteikingdomkey wrote:

It's been awhile since I watched this show so please enlighten me, what part embraced eugenics? Also, what is wrong with capitalism? It's how many of us make the money to live with. And finally, I remember the show ending with many bad people still out there so nothing was perfect.
Rosiero

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2020 2:04 am Reply with quote
This series confuses me so much. The same author wrote Chivalry of a Failed Knight, which I love, but you'd expect the next series he starts to build on what was interesting about that while working out some of the blemishes. Instead, it seems like it's much worse at basically everything!

Not only is the worldbuilding somehow even shoddier than Chivalry's already rickety construction, but we also lose the badass female characters, the mental health aspects, the societal drawbacks of having overpowered characters, the honestly kind of daring sexual exploration and the way it generally tears conservative viewpoints a new one. Oh, but we still have the unnecessary sexual assault moments, because that sure was essential. >.>

Honestly, regardless of how much one enjoys either series or how much some of the negative aspects bother them, the totally opposite worldview is nonetheless baffling, isn't it? I can hardly believe it came from the same pen.
zztop

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2020 8:57 am Reply with quote
The source light novels are complete at 10 volumes.
The anime covered roughly the 1st 3 volumes.

Hopefully Yen Press will be able to translate all 10 books to the end.
micah007

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2020 10:54 am Reply with quote
Not much critically to say except that I found most of the geniuses likable which is a good start for protagonists and that their character designs were visually pleasing which might be a testament to the art style. There were other elements to the series that I genuinely enjoyed but the anime adaptation at least has fallen in a weird "average" spot. Maybe the light novels are better.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2020 4:25 pm Reply with quote
I think this show is too maligned. Sure, the writing is dumb and predictable, but I had fun watching it.
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2020 8:25 pm Reply with quote
Mongoose wrote:
Tanteikingdomkey wrote:

It's been awhile since I watched this show so please enlighten me, what part embraced eugenics? Also, what is wrong with capitalism? It's how many of us make the money to live with. And finally, I remember the show ending with many bad people still out there so nothing was perfect.

I support capitalism, and don't think it's the great evil that some do. However the "ultimate business guy" I find to be full of shit and show of some of the worse things you can do in it, while still having people go you're so wonderful in perfect like so many talk about him.
The guy blackmails government officials into doing what he want's and then charges all the towns people rent with his new power, but HE IS AMAZING because the last guy was worse. THE GUY HAS A MONOPOLY, and no one seems to care. He just gets, hoards, and occasionally spends money!

Ringo the engineering and programming prodigy is straight up the product of eugenics and like NO ONE bats an eye at this.

THEN THERE IS PRINCE AKATSUKI.... As someone who loves illusionist the fact that APPARENTLY no one told the author that illusionist CAN'T DO REAL MAGIC!

I mean you then you have the shows politics which are status quo politics (you are fantasy TRY to have some IMAGINATION!). But install ALL THE PEOPLE FROM THE CORRUPT ROYALTY as leaders of the NEW DEMOCRACY WITH ALL THEIR OLD MONEY AND LAND.

Capitalism and Democracy are far better options then most. but the idea that you can just let them lose and not worry about the corrupt people you are leaving in charge of it in this show is as ridiculous as an illusionist suddenly having real magic FOR NO REASON!
Mongoose

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2020 10:12 pm Reply with quote
Tanteikingdomkey wrote:
I support capitalism, and don't think it's the great evil that some do. However the "ultimate business guy" I find to be full of shit and show of some of the worse things you can do in it, while still having people go you're so wonderful in perfect like so many talk about him.
The guy blackmails government officials into doing what he want's and then charges all the towns people rent with his new power, but HE IS AMAZING because the last guy was worse. THE GUY HAS A MONOPOLY, and no one seems to care. He just gets, hoards, and occasionally spends money!

Ringo the engineering and programming prodigy is straight up the product of eugenics and like NO ONE bats an eye at this.

THEN THERE IS PRINCE AKATSUKI.... As someone who loves illusionist the fact that APPARENTLY no one told the author that illusionist CAN'T DO REAL MAGIC!

I mean you then you have the shows politics which are status quo politics (you are fantasy TRY to have some IMAGINATION!). But install ALL THE PEOPLE FROM THE CORRUPT ROYALTY as leaders of the NEW DEMOCRACY WITH ALL THEIR OLD MONEY AND LAND.

Capitalism and Democracy are far better options then most. but the idea that you can just let them lose and not worry about the corrupt people you are leaving in charge of it in this show is as ridiculous as an illusionist suddenly having real magic FOR NO REASON!

The merchant was certainly questionable in his methods, but he is also up against an extremely corrupt empire, and in the end even if he's gone the people will be better for trading methods introduced by him. I still don't see where you are coming from with eugenics on Ringo. I don't remember Akatsuki ever doing real magic, just advanced slight of hand and illusions (he is an illusionist after all). And finally, I don't remember them installing ALL government types from old system into new one, only those that could work with new. I feel like you're referencing the source material and not the anime at some points. If that is the case I've only seen the anime.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2