• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: My Next Life as a Villainess: All Routes Lead to Doom!

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 4:28 pm Reply with quote
maximilianjenus wrote:

But there is katarina's memories as a factor, and in those the prince outright kills her.

True, but none of the characters have been on that track for quite some time. Katarina also faced bad ends with all the characters to one degree or another. Believed Keith spoiler[killed her with is fire magic] too.

Only the author truly knows who will win, or maybe he doesn't even know himself.

Of all the characters, Prince Jeord has been the only one to spoiler[push things so far, that Katarina, has no choice but to acknowledge his interest in her. I didn't say reciprocate, merely acknowledge.]
lossthief
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 4:44 pm Reply with quote
[quote="TarsTarkas"]
maximilianjenus wrote:

Of all the characters, Prince Jeord has been the only one to spoiler[push things so far, that Katarina, has no choice but to acknowledge his interest in her. I didn't say reciprocate, merely acknowledge.]

I mean, for any other person that would be true. But remember Katarina didn't even register that Jeord kissed her, and she's still 1000% sure he's the secret black-hearted prince of the game, and that he only maintains his engagement to her for appearances. That's kind of what makes the show work, that Katarina is denser than a neutron star and totally oblivious to the blatant attention of all her harem prospects, so you pick your favorite option and route for them while waiting to see if one day anything they do can crack through the titanium safe that is Katarina's brain.
michizure

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2020 11:21 am Reply with quote
michizure wrote:
Was there a credit for the VA for "Acchan," Catarina's otaku friend from Japan? I didn't see it in the encyclopedia entry. I want to see how the series handles that plot point, especially given how it calls out the Catarina Council.

Still no credit for Acchan, as far as I can tell. Yet the gardener and head maid were both credited. I will be interested to see when (or if) this is resolved.

Does anyone recognize the book Acchan is holding in the opening? The kanji seem to read "Oeda Mori," but the furigana say "Daigishin" instead.

Edit to add:
Quote:
She even mentions that her marriage to Catarina's father has improved, which is something I really wish we'd gotten to see happen onscreen, since the Claes parents have been little more than window dressing in this show.

The incident Catarina's mother is referring to was briefly covered in Episode 1 (18:00-18:15). I don't recall there being much more to it in the novels.
Seagloom

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2020 5:30 pm Reply with quote
michizure wrote:
The incident Catarina's mother is referring to was briefly covered in Episode 1 (18:00-18:15). I don't recall there being much more to it in the novels.

There is a bit of elaboration on how originally Keith's presence drove a wedge between Katarina's parents. Her mother assumed he was the son of her husband's mistress; which resulted in marital strife and Keith being treated coldly.

Katarina's actions in this timeline led to her father explaining where Keith came from and why he was taken in. Once it was obvious there was never a mistress, the pair reconciled and Keith was no longer treated coldly by Katarina's mother.

The anime speeds through it so quickly that it doesn't even seem connected to Keith's backstory.
Neko-sensei

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2020 9:02 pm Reply with quote
Atsuko ("Acchan") is voiced by spoiler[Inori Minase, who also voices Sophia.

Speaking of Sophia]
, no one has mentioned my very favorite moment from episode 6, when Sophia comments on what a wonderful time her brother is having and no one else can see it at all. That seems to be the problem the reviewer is having with Nicol—since his affect is so flat everyone assumes that he's not expressing his true emotions, when actually he's always completely honest.
a_Bear_in_Bearcave

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2020 3:08 am Reply with quote
Seagloom wrote:
michizure wrote:

There is a bit of elaboration on how originally Keith's presence drove a wedge between Katarina's parents. Her mother assumed he was the son of her husband's mistress; which resulted in marital strife and Keith being treated coldly.

Katarina's actions in this timeline led to her father explaining where Keith came from and why he was taken in. Once it was obvious there was never a mistress, the pair reconciled and Keith was no longer treated coldly by Katarina's mother.

The anime speeds through it so quickly that it doesn't even seem connected to Keith's backstory.

Yep, and it actually come out that the mother assumed the father agreed to their arranged marriage only of duty, and with Katarina's lack of manners compared to supposed mistress' child she was ready to remove herself from his life as a failed mother in addition to unloved wife. Then father assured her that he very much loved her and always did, and this resolved the longstanding cloud on parents' relationship they weren't even aware of before. So there was a lot more in the novels than in the anime( or manga).
rolvtd

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2020 10:48 pm Reply with quote
a_Bear_in_Bearcave wrote:
Seagloom wrote:
michizure wrote:

Yep, and it actually come out that the mother assumed the father agreed to their arranged marriage only of duty, and with Katarina's lack of manners compared to supposed mistress' child she was ready to remove herself from his life as a failed mother in addition to unloved wife. Then father assured her that he very much loved her and always did, and this resolved the longstanding cloud on parents' relationship they weren't even aware of before. So there was a lot more in the novels than in the anime( or manga).

Doesn't the novel even state that Catarina's father fell in love at first sight with the mother and manipulated things with her father to get the engagement? The father then presumes that Catarina's mother resented him for being being forced to marry him. In the og timeline, this was never resolved but because new Catarina was such a troublemaker, her mom decided to leave the household with her daughter and let her husband enjoy his "happiness" with his supposed mistress. That's when they found out they both loved each other from the beginning, hence the new lovely dovey phase of their relationship.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2020 1:59 am Reply with quote
Now that all the people who were supposed to be Bakarina's downfall are in love with her, it appears that doom will come out of left field in the form of the Mean Girls Brigade. They're jealous that all the best boys and especially Sirius are fawning over her, plus she's already crossed them directly twice.

So who is her fiance - Geordo (per subs), Gerald (per Encyclopedia/Wiki), or Jeord (per Nick, et al)?
lossthief
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2020 9:58 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Now that all the people who were supposed to be Bakarina's downfall are in love with her, it appears that doom will come out of left field in the form of the Mean Girls Brigade. They're jealous that all the best boys and especially Sirius are fawning over her, plus she's already crossed them directly twice.

So who is her fiance - Geordo (per subs), Gerald (per Encyclopedia/Wiki), or Jeord (per Nick, et al)?

Yeah the inconsistency between the official translations is a little annoying. In Seven Seas' release of the manga (I haven't checked the LNs) it's Jeord - and they spell her name Katarina. I'm guessing Gerald might be based on earlier fan translations.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2020 11:12 am Reply with quote
Believe it is Jeord in the light novels also.
Agent355

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2020 11:18 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:

I’m thinking that unexpected conflict might arise *because* they’re all in love with Bakarina and if the fights flare up from under the surface, it could get ugly? Although Serious Diek is still a wild card.

Is it just me, or did the anime imply that Maria’s dad left due to the rumors of her illegitimacy?
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2020 11:55 pm Reply with quote
^ No, I thought that was the implication too.

I was leaning towards a Mean Girl attack because of the attention given a particularly vicious glare the head MG gave her when Sirius was talking to her. It seemed a little more, um, serious, than the usual foot-stomping well-I-never snit we usually see from them.
michizure

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2020 2:17 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I wish the show wouldn't have been so insistent on hiding Catarina's real name and face, though...

The English translations of the light novels are up to volume 5 and still haven't revealed Catarina's former name, so I wouldn't hold my breath.

Did it seem as if the visuals implied that Catarina died before entering high school (i.e., in a sailor uniform, which is more usual for middle school)? That would make her a couple of years younger than her novel counterpart (15 vs. 17).

Quote:
...the dungeon crawl felt much more like filler, to me.

I'm pretty sure it is. The only description of a "dungeon" I can find up to now in the translations is in the literal sense of a prison, though Catarina references dungeon-crawling as a simile at one point. Oddly, the poison mushrooms themselves do make a a brief appearance.

Still no VA for "Sasaki Atsuko" or "Acchan" in the credits; it should be clear now why I was asking. On the other hand, the VA for Catarina's mother gets a credit as such, yet the character has an established name: Milidiana Claes.

Perhaps someone who is familiar with the Final Fantasy franchise can comment on whether this is an allusion to Milidiana Weistland, who appears in FF XIV? That character is the only other "Milidiana" I have found. Otherwise, it amuses me to think of it as a reference to Meridiana, the succubus who (according to one story) made Gerbert d"Aurilac into Pope Sylvester II with her advice.
Yuvelir

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2020 3:15 pm Reply with quote
This episode felt pretty pointless... and also incoherent with how the world had been built so far, it's as if it came straight out of Endro.

michizure wrote:
Still no VA for "Sasaki Atsuko" or "Acchan" in the credits; it should be clear now why I was asking.

Maybe she isn't credited but it doesn't take great ears to recognize Minase Inori. Not like her performance was trying to hide it (makes me remember a harem anime where a seiyuu DID try to sound like a specific colleague for an uncredited role)
PonSquared

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2020 3:47 pm Reply with quote
I wish someone who liked the show was reviewing it. This episode was sad and funny. Seeing how both her old school friend and her new friend Sophia are connected was pretty startling. Even across worlds / dimensions the two girls who were loners, shut away from the rest of society before meeting Catarina, are connected.

Then, the exam, which was great, by the way. We got to see another overly dramatic use of Earth Bump and it was amazing. The whole exam was well done and we all enjoyed it. My family was yelling at the screen every time Catarina or company was going to eat a mushroom. Ugh, Bakarina is right.

Great episode. 8/10
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 4 of 9