• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Voice Actress Minori Chihara Responds to Accusations of Adultery

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheMorry

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2020 1:22 pm Reply with quote
Only in Japan this being a headline. Why ANN even bothers with this nonsense is beyond me.
mpg13

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2020 1:32 pm Reply with quote
TheMorry wrote:
Only in Japan this being a headline. Why ANN even bothers with this nonsense is beyond me.

We have the same kind of losers oops I mean fans in the US. They just have to know the details of actors personal lives.
JeffreySweeney

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2020 1:42 pm Reply with quote
The whole thing is dumb to be honest. I get she has an image to maintain, but this is really business in her personal life that shouldn't be brought to light by a bunch of idiots following her around and taking photos of her without her permission like some creepy stalker. That said, she looks a lot more homely when not dolled up for a photo shoot, that's for sure. None of this should even be relevant for her voice acting and singing career. Now I understand why paparazzi have been assaulted.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2020 2:04 pm Reply with quote
A lot of logs in people's eyes here.

This is the normal celebrity mainstay in the United States and most of the world. There is nothing shocking about this reporting, and nothing abnormal about it being reported on ANN. After all, it is anime related.

If these things can be reported on TV, Cable, Newspapers, Online, and on Social Media with no issue in the United States and most of the western world, then the Japanese are quite allowed to do the same reporting in their nation and the world.
Kougeru

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2020 2:46 pm Reply with quote
This is reported because it's about a seiyuu and singer for anime theme songs. It's as simple as that. For that reason it SHOULD be reported. If it was only the magazine then I would've just taken it as a rumor. In that case then I don't think reporting it makes sense. However. Chihara herself admitted to this. Since she admitted it it's a real relevant story.

The original post that I had read claimed she didn't know the violinist was married at first.
It also said she broke up with him because he wouldn't leave his wife.

My fear is how strict Japan is about this stuff. I've been following her Twitter the last few days to gauge fan reaction and luckily it seems most people are understanding. A lot of comments are upset with the violinist for not choosing one woman. My fear is how this may affect her career. I love her as a seiyuu and a singer both so I hope neither are affected.

The violinist's career could also be in danger, honestly. He's apparently one of the countries best and has even played for the current Emperor. He's been in dozens of anime soundtracks and I couldn't count how many theme songs and JPOP songs (check his vgmdb). So while I do think he's the one with the real issues here, I also hope it doesn't affect his career much either. I'm sure his wife (maybe ex, I couldn't find info on this) already punished him

Anyway, I hope the backlash from this in Japan isn't harsh, considering this relationship ended way back in 2016

Last edited by Kougeru on Wed May 13, 2020 2:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
Escaflowne2001

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2020 3:00 pm Reply with quote
Having an affair is nasty business and there is no excuse. If you are famous and don't want it reported don't do it.
micah007

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2020 3:14 pm Reply with quote
Hope everything works out as best as possible for all involved, including the family, friends, and anyone seemingly peripherally related who were/are impacted by this.
Lactobacillus yogurti

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2020 3:43 pm Reply with quote
Cheaters are the worst.

But on the other hand, I don't think this is particularly relevant for this page...
Ming Yi

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2020 5:26 pm Reply with quote
Lactobacillus yogurti wrote:
Cheaters are the worst.

But on the other hand, I don't think this is particularly relevant for this page...

Like Kougeru said, this incident involves two people who are heavily involved in the anime industry (Minori Chihara being a voice actress and performer of many anime theme songs and Kōichirō Muraya being one of the top violinists in Japan who has participated in many anime OSTs). This isn't news about anime but it's still relevant given their connections to the industry, and since the scandal has gotten out, it may affect their job in the future.

Not to mention, anime voice actors and singers are now marketed as idols whether anyone likes it or not.

If this was a rumor, I would understand it not being published, but since both have admitted to it, it should be reported.
Raiyou

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2020 6:21 pm Reply with quote
Ironically similar to her character arc as Miku in Date A Live S2 (except that she was innocent there)

Have nothing but sympathy for her personally.
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2020 6:47 pm Reply with quote
Ming Yi wrote:
Lactobacillus yogurti wrote:
Cheaters are the worst.

Like Kougeru said, this incident involves two people who are heavily involved in the anime industry (Minori Chihara being a voice actress and performer of many anime theme songs and Kōichirō Muraya being one of the top violinists in Japan who has participated in many anime OSTs). This isn't news about anime but it's still relevant given their connections to the industry, and since the scandal has gotten out, it may affect their job in the future.

Not to mention, anime voice actors and singers are now marketed as idols whether anyone likes it or not.

If this was a rumor, I would understand it not being published, but since both have admitted to it, it should be reported.

I prefer that seiyuu are marketed as seiyuu same as singers being marketed as singers, marketing them as idols is dangerous as fans or even jealous idols will improperly hold them to idol standards and thus they'll be subjected to perils that shouldn't be a concern. The old ways were better.
J0HN_L0CKE

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2020 7:05 pm Reply with quote
"I understand that it may be impossible to forgive me for all the unfathomable hurt I've inflicted on others in the past and will inflict on others in the future"

Jesus christ, you'd think she committed genocide...
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2020 7:33 pm Reply with quote
J0HN_L0CKE wrote:
"I understand that it may be impossible to forgive me for all the unfathomable hurt I've inflicted on others in the past and will inflict on others in the future"

Jesus christ, you'd think she committed genocide...

This is why you don't market singers and seiyuu as idols, idols often have strict rules and in rare cases even talking about the opposite sex in a romantic way is considered on par with slurs or a real crime.
kinghumanity

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2020 7:39 pm Reply with quote
Who gives a sh1t. Are the Japanese this judgmental about male voice actors' personal lives too?
Sparvid

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2020 8:55 pm Reply with quote
kinghumanity wrote:
Who gives a sh1t. Are the Japanese this judgmental about male voice actors' personal lives too?

animenewsnetwork.com/interest/2020-03-21/voice-actor-nobuhiko-okamoto-confirms-marriage-with-voice-actress-asuka-ogame-apologizes-for-unthinking-actions/.157776

https://sojapan.jp/2017/07/daisuke-namikawa-allegedly-cheats-wife-according-report-issues-apology/

I'm pretty sure there are also articles about adulterous athletes, politicians, CEOs and other public figures that has nothing to do with idols.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2