• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Aniplex USA to Release Complete Fate/stay night Unlimited Blade Works Anime BD Box Set

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kougeru

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2020 2:33 pm Reply with quote
This economy is not a good one for a $500 set
so751

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2020 2:47 pm Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:

Well, it's $239.98 USD at MSRP according to the Right Stuf link from Aniplex USA's Twitter account:
https://www.rightstufanime.com/Fate-stay-night-Unlimited-Blade-Works-Complete-Box-Set-Blu-ray

Right Stuf's selling it for $190 USD. Expensive? I'd still say yes, but it's not entirely unreasonable, given Blu-ray/DVD collecting has started becoming more of a novelty these days. That being said though, Aniplex USA should really release more standard editions to make owning these series still even more affordable.

Last edited by so751 on Wed May 13, 2020 2:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
cookiemanstah

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2020 2:47 pm Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:

have you actually gotten a taste of a TYPE-Moon - ufo anime on BR box set over streaming or piracy though?

Shit will blow your mind. That's why it's expensive as fudge. Animation caliber is genuinely incomparable to anything else on modern TV.
Stampeed Valkyrie

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2020 3:26 pm Reply with quote
cookiemanstah wrote:

have you actually gotten a taste of a TYPE-Moon - ufo anime on BR box set over streaming or piracy though?

Shit will blow your mind. That's why it's expensive as fudge. Animation caliber is genuinely incomparable to anything else on modern TV.

Yeah I can't say I agree with this statement.

Back to reality though..
$190 for 26 episodes and 1 OVA.. while not a great price is again within Aniplex's normal pricing of $100 per 12 ep season.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2020 3:58 pm Reply with quote
Yep, Aniplex's regular pricing. Never going to get better, and most likely no regular cheaper edition.
SaitoHajime101

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2020 4:54 pm Reply with quote
I've been really wanting to own this series in a physical copy. I'm just, as per usual, taken aback by Aniplex USA's continuous overpricing. There's no justification I can think of for this.
reanimator

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2020 5:47 pm Reply with quote
Ah..the usual grumbling to Aniplex pricing...and it's getting too old...

Whoever buys that Aniplex BD-Box, I'll respect him for his hardcore dedication to the franchise.
Covnam

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2020 6:58 pm Reply with quote
Wow, 4-5 years since release and still typical AoA pricing. I feel bad for the fans who want to own this series reasonably.
CrypticPurpose

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2020 7:05 pm Reply with quote
You'd think they'd realize they'd sell a lot more at lower prices, and ultimately make a bigger profit. I get why these sets are so expensive in Japan, there just isn't enough of an audience in the country to warrant a lower price, but the larger population here means the economics don't work the same way.
Ampharos

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2020 8:12 pm Reply with quote
AoA still does the high price range thing to avoid reverse importing, right?

I grew up in the days of $30 for 3 or 4 episodes per DVD so the sets they've released have never really seemed Ponycan USA levels of outlandishly pricey to me (especially since Blu-ray is better picture quality and always more expensive than DVD; I collect Criterion movies as well so I would be used to paying higher prices for niche products anyway) but I can't say I blame others for being frustrated. I mean, look at the other distributors...
zrdb

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2020 9:25 pm Reply with quote
I've always hated aniplex and their outlandish prices but on the other hand they've put out some titles that I had to own. What to do? Simple-buy UK and Australian releases-in most cases the titles were 1/3 or less than the us price and the quality was good enough for me.
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2020 9:46 pm Reply with quote
$190 for 26 episodes and an OVA. Hard pass. I have bills to pay.
toprak

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2020 12:35 am Reply with quote
Shit, I want to get this so hard. Sadly I can't afford 240 dolar for an anime Rolling Eyes
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2020 1:52 am Reply with quote
How does this company still exist with these prices? Especially in this day and age when you can watch this on Crunchyroll for free. And this is like a six year old show.
kotelo_

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2020 7:14 am Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
How does this company still exist with these prices? Especially in this day and age when you can watch this on Crunchyroll for free. And this is like a six year old show.

Because Fate fans actually support the series

I'm buying it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2