• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Inuyasha Anime Gets Yashahime: Princess Half-Demon TV Spinoff This Fall

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sheriru

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2020 10:32 am Reply with quote
If this Author wouldnt suffer the "Same Face" Syndrome since forever, one would know which Child is which lmao.
Engineering Nerd

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2020 1:14 pm Reply with quote
Northlander wrote:

Also, being the daughter of Inuyasha and Kagome, Moroha would be a quarter demon, wouldn't she? I wonder how that would work.

Have you read (or watch the anime adaptation) of Nura: Rise of the Yokai Clan? The main protagonist of said series is 1/4 demon and he performs just fine, if not more powerful than his half-demon father.

The Point is...how much demon blood a child has should not have too much influence on a character's capabilities or body function, unless someone decide to emphasize that as a plot point, which doesn't seem like the case for this work based on the premise along
Canopus310

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2020 1:48 pm Reply with quote
It's time to rewatch kanketsu hen again, I guess
7jaws7

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2020 4:43 pm Reply with quote
Am I crazy to think that the immensely successful Kimetsu no Yaiba has something to do with Inuyasha getting a spin-off anime series?
Xavon

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2020 7:09 pm Reply with quote
Am I the only one worried this might be another DB GT?

Author provides some designs and someone else runs with it...
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2020 10:03 pm Reply with quote
Part of me feels like they’re just making it about the kids because Takahashi isn’t directly involved other than as character designer and maybe they can’t use those characters without her but they still want to cash in on the Inuyasha brand name instead of making something original. And I wonder if Inuyasha and Kagome etc will actually appear in this spin off.
all-tsun-and-no-dere
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2020 10:07 pm Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
I find it odd they're half demons, since half demons have animal ears (like Inuyasha's kid) while full ones have human ears.

Inuyasha is Shonen, but Takahashi herself is a shoujo creator through and through, and Rin being the mother is pretty standard shoujo affair.

What shoujo has Takahashi worked on? I'm only familiar with her shonen works.

Quote:
If this Author wouldnt suffer the "Same Face" Syndrome since forever, one would know which Child is which lmao.

Man it's almost like they're related or something!

Snark aside, I'm pretty intrigued by this. Inuyasha was one of the first anime/manga got into, and I still have my flipped volume one that was one of the first online purchases I ever made, because that was back when bookstores usually only had a couple volumes of manga, if any. I love well-done intergenerational stories, especially ones that handle the baggage carried from one generation to the next. I never actually finished the original series, and this is good motivation to do so!
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2020 12:25 am Reply with quote
Ah-Lilyn wrote:
lol Here's the thing tho, yes Sesshomaru is 900 years old but I also think people need to take into account the concept of aging is probably dramatically different for a demon vs human. After hatching a mayfly lives approx 24 hrs, even tho in that timeframe a human would still be considered a baby its unreasonable to call the fly a baby. Maybe the same applies to sesshomaru. I mean he obviously ages (albeit slowly compared to human) so maybe his mental capacity matches his appearance (lol in terms of what's normal for a demon.)

spoiler[* I mean... He has the emotional intelligence of a carrot soo]

lol there's also a possibility that Sesshomaru doesn't recognize the concept of aging in humans as much because a human lifespan is equivalent to like 1-2 yrs of aging demon time ( lol if i were to correlate demon lifespan to human ^)

The problem isn't the age gap, the problem is the grooming aspect. For Kagome and Inuyasha it was made clear they were on equal terms, both having roughly the mental disposition of teenagers despite Inuyasha being far older chronologically. For Sesshomaru and Rin, the problem is that he basically raised Rin. He's her father figure, even providing for her despite her living with Kaede in the finale. It's a power dynamic issue where he has a disproportionate amount of it; it would be wife husbandry. And yes, this did happen in the Sengoku Jidai, but that doesn't make it any less icky or problematic.
Agent355

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2020 1:39 am Reply with quote
Xavon wrote:
Am I the only one worried this might be another DB GT?

Author provides some designs and someone else runs with it...

Don't curse it!

all-tsun-and-no-dere wrote:
Vaisaga wrote:
I find it odd they're half demons, since half demons have animal ears (like Inuyasha's kid) while full ones have human ears.

Inuyasha is Shonen, but Takahashi herself is a shoujo creator through and through, and Rin being the mother is pretty standard shoujo affair.

I think they mean "shoujo-style," in a figurative sense? AFAIK, all Takahashi's manga is shonen.

AiddonValentine wrote:
Ah-Lilyn wrote:
lol Here's the thing tho, yes Sesshomaru is 900 years old but I also think people need to take into account the concept of aging is probably dramatically different for a demon vs human. After hatching a mayfly lives approx 24 hrs, even tho in that timeframe a human would still be considered a baby its unreasonable to call the fly a baby. Maybe the same applies to sesshomaru. I mean he obviously ages (albeit slowly compared to human) so maybe his mental capacity matches his appearance (lol in terms of what's normal for a demon.)

spoiler[* I mean... He has the emotional intelligence of a carrot soo]

lol there's also a possibility that Sesshomaru doesn't recognize the concept of aging in humans as much because a human lifespan is equivalent to like 1-2 yrs of aging demon time ( lol if i were to correlate demon lifespan to human ^)

The problem isn't the age gap, the problem is the grooming aspect. For Kagome and Inuyasha it was made clear they were on equal terms, both having roughly the mental disposition of teenagers despite Inuyasha being far older chronologically. For Sesshomaru and Rin, the problem is that he basically raised Rin. He's her father figure, even providing for her despite her living with Kaede in the finale. It's a power dynamic issue where he has a disproportionate amount of it; it would be wife husbandry. And yes, this did happen in the Sengoku Jidai, but that doesn't make it any less icky or problematic.

I agree that it mirrors a grooming situation, but since Sesshomaru isn't human and never seemed interested in relationships...

ReifuTD wrote:
The idea of Sesshomaru having kids is weird, He's pretty romantically asexaul. Who ever has his kids it's the woman taking the initiative and he would only let her if it doesn't inconvenience or/and denying her would cause more trouble then it's worth. As for the Rin theory I like the idea of her and Sesshomaru at least having to do it once. The girl has feelings for him. I can see Sesshomaru letting her have one night with him as a catharsis for all the pent up feelings she has and let her come to terms that a romantic relationship between him and her probably isn't going to go anywhere, But it only takes one time to get pregnant and he gets stuck with half demon love children that he kind of feels guilty about.

...I see this as the most likely scenario (except I can't imagine Sesshomaru feeling guilty about anything). If adult!Rin is the instigator of the relationship with a passive/ace Sesshomaru, it's not exactly the power dynamic of grooming, in which an adult intends to take advantage of a minor, because the audience knows there was no ill intent. That might not be enough for some fans to strongly object to their relationship, which is understandable. Grooming is a huge issue in real life and it's understandable that it bothers fans in fiction, regardless of supernatural (or other) workarounds.

Of course, this is all theoretical until the anime comes out. In Boruto, Orochimaru has a kid via cloning, in Inuyasha, Naraku had "children" (incarnations, according to the wiki) via fusing and de-fusing with Shikon jewel shards and other demons. Who knows if these twins came about through normal reproduction (and with Rin or someone else) or some other way? Jaken, for one, would want to make that happen, and there's no one around to raise them, so something's up/...
ReifuTD wrote:
I hope this anime finally explains what happen to the demon race in the modern era, They only lightly touched on this at the start of the series and never did anything with it again. I know of a theory that basically most dangerous demons all got kill by demon slayers. Well the more Kami style demons like Sesshomaru all bread them self out by crossbreeding with humans. I like to think that maybe there's a kind of realm the Kami can go to like that place with in Inuyasha's eye and they just been held up there hiding from the humans. As a plot modern Kami or/and past Kami could be obsessed with keep their race pure and would want to hunt and kill mix breeds.

That would be an interesting plot thread!
all-tsun-and-no-dere
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2020 6:49 pm Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:

all-tsun-and-no-dere wrote:

I think they mean "shoujo-style," in a figurative sense? AFAIK, all Takahashi's manga is shonen.

I wouldn't consider any of her shonen "shojo-style" at all, though. I admit I'm not familiar with Rin-Ne, but Urusei Yatsura, Ranma 1/2, and Inuyasha are all very shonen in terms of plot structure and action. Maison Ikkoku and some of her shorter works, like One Pound Gospel and the Mermaid saga aren't as easily categorized, but I'd still slot them closer to shonen/seinen than shoujo/josei.
InuKag1

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2020 3:52 pm Reply with quote
THIS IS THE HAPPIEST DAY OF MY LIFE!
musouka

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2020 5:17 pm Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:

Takahashi had a shoujo one shot published in Petit Comic. It's also been published in English. It was a pretty forgettable story of a girl trying to lose weight. (Googling also brings up images of Buddha, which sounds vaguely correct based off my memories, but I don't know how/why that comes into play.)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6