• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Aniplex of America Revises Translation Error in Kaguya-sama: Love is War Season 2 Episode

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
John Thacker

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2020 6:47 pm Reply with quote
Error is a pretty strong term for that. I think it was a perfectly fine translation, even if something that wouldn't be understood by people six months ago.
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2020 6:58 pm Reply with quote
Not an error, per se, but I think it was too liberal of a localization.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2020 7:01 pm Reply with quote
I thought it was great so call it another victory for boring transliteralists.
Lord Starfish

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2020 7:09 pm Reply with quote
Yeah... This episode was no doubt scripted before the social distancing thing started so this does feel like a case of the translator cramming in their own joke where there was none before. Feels kind of like a step too far. So even though (just from reading about it; I have not yet seen any of S2 so I don't know how it worked in context) the incorrect translation does feel like a potentially funnier line, I think they were right to revert it.
jellybeanbandit

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2020 7:23 pm Reply with quote
TsukasaElkKite wrote:

Error implies it was a mistake. It was an obviously intentional change, but then it got backlash so they went back and changed it.

I thought we were past the era of current event/meme jokes in dubs but I guess not.
Yuvelir

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2020 7:40 pm Reply with quote
Lord Starfish wrote:
Yeah... This episode was no doubt scripted before the social distancing thing started so this does feel like a case of the translator cramming in their own joke where there was none before. Feels kind of like a step too far. So even though (just from reading about it; I have not yet seen any of S2 so I don't know how it worked in context) the incorrect translation does feel like a potentially funnier line, I think they were right to revert it.

It was the second iteration of the same added joke in the same episode though.
Gray Lensman

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2020 7:48 pm Reply with quote
jellybeanbandit wrote:
TsukasaElkKite wrote:

Error implies it was a mistake. It was an obviously intentional change, but then it got backlash so they went back and changed it.

I thought we were past the era of current event/meme jokes in dubs but I guess not.

Except that this wasn't a dub.
harminia

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2020 8:15 pm Reply with quote
jellybeanbandit wrote:
TsukasaElkKite wrote:

Did it get backlash? I don't follow the show so I haven't seen any discourse but when Aniplex made their apology tweet, the replies all seemed to be favorable.

(And as Gray Lensman said, this wasn't a dub)

Personally I don't see a big problem with it but I do see it as a pretty time specific joke so it wouldn't hold up in future watches. Kinda like that Prison School Gamer Gate joke (not going to get into whether that was an appropriate translation or not), where it may be funny at the time but even a few months later it can feel very dated.
Yune Amagiri

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2020 8:21 pm Reply with quote
It didn't bother me as i focus mostly on the sound rather than the sub but yeah i prefer not having meme or such in translations written by professionals, even more when it's from a company i support.
That's just my 2 cents but uneeded jokes should only be used in the secondary subtitle track of a fantrad or as a 1st april trad.

Thankfully it was pretty tame this time and not entirely out of context compared to some previous cases.
DeTroyes

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2020 8:39 pm Reply with quote
I didn't think it was an error; I actually got a chuckle out of it, as a nice little piece of topical humor. Too bad they're dropping it.

But now I'm curious... I wonder how long it will be before Covid-19 and the lockdowns do start being referenced in manga and anime. Are we going to get, say, whole arcs where some character is stuck in lockdown and can't go out to visit friends/save the day/whatever?
KitKat1721

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2020 8:50 pm Reply with quote
I didn't really think it was that big of a deal in the grand scheme of things, but context matters, and its not like the scene itself really leant itself to a line like that (its not that comedic or anything they're just talking in a hallway, so it does kind of take you out of it). So I don't mind that it was changed either. For example, while the Kaguya joke was only in the sub, another show used a very similar social distancing joke in a dub this week (not saying which show because I don't want the ADR scriptwriter to get dumb hate, and the people actually watching the dub week to week are unlikely to do so), and it played a lot better.
harminia

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2020 8:55 pm Reply with quote
DeTroyes wrote:
But now I'm curious... I wonder how long it will be before Covid-19 and the lockdowns do start being referenced in manga and anime. Are we going to get, say, whole arcs where some character is stuck in lockdown and can't go out to visit friends/save the day/whatever?

Promised Neverland referenced it very briefly (just the words CORONA VIRUS written on some shop windows), but wouldn't be surprised if there's a bunch of comics on twitter that revolve around it. Prime base concept for a romance manga.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2020 9:00 pm Reply with quote
Good. The joke would age like spoiled milk.
DeTroyes

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2020 9:03 pm Reply with quote
harminia wrote:
Prime base concept for a romance manga.

Betcha the writer for Komi Can't Communicate already has a story scripted...
boldulysses

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2020 9:57 pm Reply with quote
Still waiting for the tweet where they promise to actually translate all the text on the screen.

Failing to translate Miko's flyer last week was inexcusable. Among other things.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3