• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Mother and Son File Lawsuit Over Kagawa Prefecture's Ordinance Restricting Video Game Play

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2020 3:52 pm Reply with quote
Interesting. I'm guessing that damages amount is just meant to cover costs?

Anyway, whether they are enforcing it or not, I don't think the government should have any say in what people can do in their own homes unless the activity in question is inherently illegal. But hey, American values. Japan can do its own thing.
DRosencraft

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2020 4:41 pm Reply with quote
Not knowing the fine points of Japan's civil jurisprudence, assuming it has the same basic tenets as America's, the case will likely be thrown out as "premature" because the plaintiffs have not actually suffered any damage. They would have to show actual damage (a fine levied against them) before filing suit, or a high likelihood of suffering actual damages (where they're probably leaning on with the constitutional rights piece). The article uses relatively strong language, and it would be interesting to see the specific language of the ordinance, but the fact that the gov't in question is clearly stating that it is a guideline for parents with no plans on enforcement means that, from a legal standpoint, the plaintiffs can't really prove damages. And if it is just guidance and there is no provision for enforcement, there isn't really any injunctive relief either. Again, all depends on the specific language of the ordinance.
Covnam

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2020 4:42 pm Reply with quote
I'd imagine it being non-binding and not enforced would just get the case thrown out
AJ (LordNikon)

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2020 5:46 pm Reply with quote
SilverTalon01 wrote:

Anyway, whether they are enforcing it or not, I don't think the government should have any say in what people can do in their own homes unless the activity in question is inherently illegal. But hey, American values. Japan can do its own thing.

What does American values have anything to do with this?? Rolling Eyes This lawsuit files is by Japanese citizens against Japanese prefectureal government consisting of Japanese citizens. Are you referring to your opinion is American opinion?
omegafinal

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2020 5:47 pm Reply with quote
First time hearing about this. All I can think is, how can this even be enforced? Especially since this is not nationwide or something, forcing game companies or platforms to implement specific time limiting features.
Superfield

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2020 6:34 pm Reply with quote
Hard to say that something is an ordinance when there are absolutely no plans to enforce it. If it just boils down to "individual households should adhere to this ordinance by their own discretion", then why is this an ordinance when it could just be a public health recommendation?
Tripple-A

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2020 8:55 pm Reply with quote
I'm overall no expert when it comes to juristic matters, but as far as I know Japan's juristics are a mixture of Roman-Germanic and American common law, of course adapted to their own culture.

Again I have almost no idea about juristic matters, even more so if it's not even my own country's (Germany) but the main problem I see with their case is one simple line "non-binding". Can you even have a case (in any country in the world) if it's against something that is non-binding? Isn't non-binding per definition something that can't progress into a law?
Ambrose7

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2020 10:05 pm Reply with quote
AJ (LordNikon) wrote:
SilverTalon01 wrote:

What does American values have anything to do with this?? Rolling Eyes This lawsuit files is by Japanese citizens against Japanese prefectureal government consisting of Japanese citizens. Are you referring to your opinion is American opinion?

I think you need to read what they said again.
ChimeyChime

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2020 1:02 am Reply with quote
How would they even enforce this? lmao
eyeresist

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2020 6:21 am Reply with quote
We are talking about are GUIDELINES.
The guidelines are NON-BINDING.
This local government ordinance affects no one's life unless they CHOOSE to follow the guidelines.
How could a teenager gaming less result in damages that require monetary compensation?
Anyone who would sue because of non-binding guidelines is a fool with too much money.
RubyRed

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2020 8:13 am Reply with quote
eyeresist wrote:
We are talking about are GUIDELINES.
The guidelines are NON-BINDING.
This local government ordinance affects no one's life unless they CHOOSE to follow the guidelines.
How could a teenager gaming less result in damages that require monetary compensation?
Anyone who would sue because of non-binding guidelines is a fool with too much money.

Basically, this. Though maybe they just want to draw attention to this quickly in the fear that it'll progress to a law in the future if ignored now? Though I can't imagine how such a law would even be enforced in the first place.
capt_bunny

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2020 6:30 pm Reply with quote
cookiemanstah wrote:
Spooky Blades wrote:
who thought of this bullshit?

moral panic because the Kyoto Animation arsonist was a crazy video game addict.

Oof.... That I didn't know.
There are already many studies that video games =/= increasing violence. I know there are many people all over the world who do believe this. But I just hope that's not the case for this.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2020 11:24 pm Reply with quote
I haven't the faintest idea about how this would play out in court. But even if the law is unbinding and unenforceable, that doesn't mean there isn't any harm. Laws and judgements set precedent. That is the harm.

Unchallenged this ordinance could be used as a pretext for binding and enforceable laws.

Much like what China is doing in the South China Sea. The longer their coral reef military bases stand, the more their claim to their sovereignty becomes valid.
Suxinn

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2020 11:32 pm Reply with quote
I feel like rather than putting the onus on the video game players, they should be putting pressure on video game companies instead, especially the ones that purposely make addicting games to generate maximum revenue. (I'm thinking primarily of gacha games here, which are already rife with gambling addicts, and how some of them are specifically designed to entice people to play long periods of time every day.)

Right now, it doesn't seem like they're addressing the root of the issue of addiction; instead, they're punishing the addicts. This ordinance is just going to get them even more flack and pushback instead of actually doing any good.
Brent Allison

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2020 7:30 am Reply with quote
What about INFPs addicted to angry internet forums arguing because people keep violating their core personal values with their wrong opinion-having and they feel compelled to fix someone being wrong on the internet?! Where's their symbolic ham-fisted non-binding resolution that (doesn't) limits how much time someone can spend on an internet forum?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2