• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Welcome to Demon School, Iruma-kun

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SHD

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2020 5:17 pm Reply with quote
Calsolum wrote:
I'm surpried by the overall positive reactions.
When I watched the first couple of episodes I found it terribly boring, I was definitely comparing it to hayte the combat butler, a series I'd dropped many years ago so the parallels to it were not enticing.

Well yes, this show is not reinventing the wheel in any way, so if you're looking for something unique and exciting, this isn't it. But it's one of those shows that gets by on the charm of its characters and the quirkiness of its setting, and unlike many of those shows, this one actually does it well, and manages to be genuinely cute and charming.
Morry

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2020 12:13 am Reply with quote
This is probably one of the few anime that actually benefited from every episode cramming in filler to pad out the runtime. Lots of character that were mostly background or weren't even introduced by this point had a steady stream of cameos from the very start. It really helped fill out the world, kinda like MHA.
Anneyuno1

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2020 6:48 pm Reply with quote
the program reminds me of the 2000 anime as rosario + vampire, but without ecchi and that's why I liked it since those programs in their format already seem quite obsolete to me, tsugomomo is the only one that still insists, but comedy couldn't be more vulgar and at times excessively vicious against the protagonist
Gray Lensman

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2020 12:11 am Reply with quote
Anneyuno1 wrote:
the program reminds me of the 2000 anime as rosario + vampire, but without ecchi and that's why I liked it since those programs in their format already seem quite obsolete to me, tsugomomo is the only one that still insists, but comedy couldn't be more vulgar and at times excessively vicious against the protagonist

That has become the fastest way to turn me off of an anime, at least after suffering through Familiar of Zero. Still haven't been able to watch past a few episodes of Toradora because of it. Oddly enough I don't mind if it isn't mean spirited - none of what 'Darling' goes through in Monster Musume bothers me because there isn't much ill intent behind his suffering.

Still wanting to find an anime where the excessively violent tsundere gets a 'reason you suck and deserve to be lonely' speech that actually gets followed through on - I'd probably want to at least see that part as long as it isn't walked back on.

I love Iruma-kun though - the show is typically a laugh riot and always interesting. It's sad that we have to wait longer for the next season, but hopefully the staff is staying safe.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2