• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Girls und Panzer, Shirobako Director Comments on Politics

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
omoikane

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2020 10:21 pm Reply with quote
People should read the other tweets he made in relation to this.

ANN probably should cover them too! It's very relevant to American media as well.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2020 11:30 pm Reply with quote
lossthief wrote:

Since you apparently didn't read the article: He didn't espouse a political opinion in the show. He did it on his own personal twitter page. Unless you're insisting anyone who makes anime shouldn't be allowed to have political opinions as a private person on their own social media account, kindly go back and actually read what was reported.

Thank you for the correction. I really did read the article, don't know how I misinterpreted it so badly.
RenRen94

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2020 1:55 am Reply with quote
Celebrities are people first and famous second in that order, and it's really sad that people need to be reminded of this. If you live in a society that is run by a government, you have a right to criticize the government and have an opinion about it. It's really frustrating when others tell them to "shut up and make stuff to entertain me" or "stay in your lane" because they are well within their rights to state their opinions, and it's unfortunate that there may be repercussions for them. Good for him for sticking to his guns.

Also, it's pretty obvious some people haven't seen Avatar: The Last Airbender. Highly acclaimed series with social commentary. Give it a try, it's streaming on U.S. Netflix Wink
Takkun4343

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2020 7:44 am Reply with quote
"When did anime get political?"
"Anime was always political."
"SIEG ZEON!"
jellybeanbandit

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2020 9:11 am Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
Exactly and that's exactly what I meant. As long as it's on their personal account, it should be fair game

People get in trouble for stuff they post on personal accounts all the time. Whether it's an brand account or not you're always representing your company or employer. So many people have gotten fired over political things they posted on Facebook or Twitter that their employer became aware of. Especially with people out there who have zero lives and will comb through over a decade of Tweets to try to find something to complain about. So there's not much difference between saying something on your personal account or the brand account. People are free to say whatever politics they want, but they also have to suffer the consequences of doing so.

Wyvern wrote:
It would be great to have some anime that are more overtly political. I bet there would be a pretty big market in Japan for a "Japanese South Park" type of show that tackles current events with humor.

You could argue anime has "politics" already, but it's not the kind of politics westerners often talk about or voice concerns over. 99 times out of 100 when Americans discuss politics in media they mean gender, race, sexuality, or actual government politics. All of which obviously will be much different topics with different priorities in Japan than America. Just look at how much discourse Rising of the Shield Hero got by certain people last year in the west compared to the zero negative reception it got in Japan.
7jaws7

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2020 3:49 pm Reply with quote
I'm glad he's figthing for a more democratic Japan, but social media is the last place to go for that. Big tech companies don't give a damn about politics - or truthful information for that matter. It's all about making money, no matter what kind of disinformation they give a platform to.
treeofjessie

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2020 12:49 pm Reply with quote
jellybeanbandit wrote:
Just look at how much discourse Rising of the Shield Hero got by certain people last year in the west compared to the zero negative reception it got in Japan.

I’m wondering: when did you receive your N1 certification? Which Japanese-language sites, Twitter users, etc do you follow?
AkumaChef

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2020 1:27 pm Reply with quote
jellybeanbandit wrote:
Kougeru wrote:
Exactly and that's exactly what I meant. As long as it's on their personal account, it should be fair game

People get in trouble for stuff they post on personal accounts all the time. Whether it's an brand account or not you're always representing your company or employer. So many people have gotten fired over political things they posted on Facebook or Twitter that their employer became aware of.

You're completely right that happens, but I think what Kougeru was saying (and I agree with) is that things you post on your personal accounts should not have anything to do with your professional life. That's the whole reason why companies and other organizations have their own accounts separate from those of their members. What does happen and what we think should happen are not one and the same.
Rentwo

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2020 8:40 pm Reply with quote
treeofjessie wrote:
I’m wondering: when did you receive your N1 certification? Which Japanese-language sites, Twitter users, etc do you follow?

FWIW the producer said the same thing in an AMA
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2