• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Demon Slayer Manga Ends, Short Spinoff Series Planned

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lynx Raven Raide

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2020 5:37 pm Reply with quote
cchigu wrote:
Welp, tbh, it turned into shit at the end. Idk why Gotouge had to finish it so fast, considering the immense success of the series, he/she had all the time in the world to end it in a satisfying way. Sigh, another one bites the dust.

Not sure much truth to it, but supposedly Gotouge had to retire and leave Tokyo for family reasons, unable to be a mangaka anymore and left after KNY had finished
Gasero

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2020 5:43 pm Reply with quote
One does not simply END the most popular manga in shounen jump.

We will likely see multiple attempts at spinoffs. I'm glad the author was able to end on decent terms though.
Wyvern

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2020 7:33 pm Reply with quote
What a ride. In less than a year, Demon Slayer exploded in popularity, became the first manga in over a decade to surpass One Piece in sales, and then at the height of popularity, it ends. You've got to respect the author refusing to milk the property to death, especially since Jump's business model strongly encourages that. Instead they went out in a blaze of glory.
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2020 8:43 pm Reply with quote
Wyvern wrote:
What a ride. In less than a year, Demon Slayer exploded in popularity, became the first manga in over a decade to surpass One Piece in sales, and then at the height of popularity, it ends. You've got to respect the author refusing to milk the property to death, especially since Jump's business model strongly encourages that. Instead they went out in a blaze of glory.

I think Jump's learned better by now. Remember, Assassination Classroom ended four years ago -- and likewise finished at the peak of its popularity, without dragging its feet.
Animerican14

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2020 2:37 am Reply with quote
cookiemanstah wrote:
bleachj0j wrote:
than get Bleach'd and drag on forever past it's prime.

pretty much.

On another note, are we gonna get more ufotable anime goodness out of this since they could cover it easily? They claimed the anime was hard to make. No clue what that means

There was that anime film covering the next arc that was announced right after the anime ended. And considering how closely tied the success of the manga is to the anime (could it possibly have gone as far as it did without ufotable?), another TV anime after the film may be inevitable.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
so751

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2020 10:22 am Reply with quote
Animerican14 wrote:

There was that anime film covering the next arc that was announced right after the anime ended. And considering how closely tied the success of the manga is to the anime (could it possibly have gone as far as it did without ufotable?), another TV anime after the film may be inevitable.

it honestly would be a wasted opportunity for ufotable not to continue adapting the rest of the manga into anime. but having read the arc that theyre going to adapt to film currently, i can see why it is a film (and not episodic) given the length of the arc and how it all really just takes place in 1-2 settings. the other arcs after can be fleshed out a bit more into episodes given how much more goes on.

i also hope this means ufotable can focus even more detail into the animation and give us some film-quality animation (not that i'm complaining about the initial series, the animation quality was already awesome).
Kisuke525

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2020 1:49 pm Reply with quote
Lynx Raven Raide wrote:
cchigu wrote:
Welp, tbh, it turned into shit at the end. Idk why Gotouge had to finish it so fast, considering the immense success of the series, he/she had all the time in the world to end it in a satisfying way. Sigh, another one bites the dust.

Not sure much truth to it, but supposedly Gotouge had to retire and leave Tokyo for family reasons, unable to be a mangaka anymore and left after KNY had finished

The rumor is false. The magazine has already said to look forward to Gotouge's next work.
Lynx Raven Raide

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2020 8:26 pm Reply with quote
Kisuke525 wrote:
Lynx Raven Raide wrote:
cchigu wrote:

The rumor is false. The magazine has already said to look forward to Gotouge's next work.
Wow, okay, thanks for the correction Smile
kgw

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2020 4:44 am Reply with quote
I appreciate that Gotoge didn't drag on the story with more Demons, more final bosses-oh-wait-he's-not-but-THIS-is-the-final-boss, unending filler, retcons (*cough* Naruto *cough*), etc. In the end, KNY was the story as planned from the beginning: how Tanjiro lost his family, but managed to make another new one in the process.
And the best of all, now the anime can have a proper ending instead of a fictional one.

I hope to see new more stories from Koyoharu Gotoge-sensei. Maybe a comedy in the future? Who knows.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2