• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Atsushi Ohkubo Hints Fire Force Manga is Near Finale, Will be His Final Manga

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
toprak

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2020 2:59 pm Reply with quote
AceLuffy4Ever wrote:
As someone who loves Fire Force and never watched Soul Eater, should i give it a watch?

If you love Fire Force, yes because they are similar each other.
Covnam

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2020 3:19 pm Reply with quote
Hmm, I wonder if we'll get the whole thing animated then. Depending on how long it continues a 3rd season should be able to finish the series.
LightningCount

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2020 3:49 pm Reply with quote
Just know the anime of this artist. I couldn't stick with Soul Eater, but Fire Force has been pretty darn compelling with a lot of creative ideas. I never expected so many interesting variations on the theme of "fire." Yes, it's uneven and goes too far with the fan-service shtick at times, but for a Shonen-esque action-adventure, it's one of the most entertaining I've seen in a while (alongside the totally different Dr. Stone). I like it better than Blue Exorcist and I like it better than Black Clover, too--neither of which I felt like sticking with.

It's not as focused and honed, but there are shades of Full Metal Alchemist in Fire Force's tone. Maybe the story falls apart after the anime's second season in the manga, but so far, I'm intrigued and entertained. It's one of those shows where I didn't realize how much I appreciated it until it was over. And bravo to David Productions. They are really getting good. I hope the long overdue Spriggan TV series looks and moves as well as Fire Force.
Break Xerxes

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2020 7:41 pm Reply with quote
That sucks. I still hope that Soul Eater will get a remake that’s more fateful to the manga.
simona.com

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2020 8:24 pm Reply with quote
NOOOOOOOOOOOO
Top Gun

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2020 9:16 pm Reply with quote
I genuinely enjoyed the Soul Eater anime, but by all accounts Bones massively toned down the author's worst...proclivities. Unfortunately the same can't be said for Fire Force, and as a result a visually-stunning and otherwise-entertaining series all too often plummets straight into the ground. (The literal "fanservice magnet" character is one of the worst fictional concepts I have ever had the displeasure of coming across.) It's a shame, too, because those elements are completely unnecessary, and they take a series that I'd normally wholeheartedly recommend and force me to put a "Yes, but..." caveat in front.
Errinundra

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2020 9:18 pm Reply with quote
Posts removed. Please report trolls; don't feed them.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
LightningCount

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2020 12:35 am Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:
I genuinely enjoyed the Soul Eater anime, but by all accounts Bones massively toned down the author's worst...proclivities. Unfortunately the same can't be said for Fire Force, and as a result a visually-stunning and otherwise-entertaining series all too often plummets straight into the ground. (The literal "fanservice magnet" character is one of the worst fictional concepts I have ever had the displeasure of coming across.) It's a shame, too, because those elements are completely unnecessary, and they take a series that I'd normally wholeheartedly recommend and force me to put a "Yes, but..." caveat in front.

I hear you, but I just want to say that, by and large, I felt that the Fire Force anime had less and less of the over-the-top fan service as it went along. I might be mistaken, but it struck me as I was watching that there was less and less objectionable material the further it got, which made it more enjoyable overall by the end.
Kougeru

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2020 12:51 am Reply with quote
theNightster wrote:
Kougeru wrote:
that makes me very sad. I assume he's just out of ideas. Maybe he'll think of something in the future and change his mind about retiring >.<

He made two successful manga series. He earned the right to rest
I wasn't saying he doesn't have the "right" to rest. That's an extremely weird and rude way to twist someone's words. What I said was my HOPES and you went and made it into something negative and made me sound entitled. I was just hoping he comes up with more fun ideas and changes his mind because I enjoy his work.
theNightster

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2020 2:53 am Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
theNightster wrote:
Kougeru wrote:
that makes me very sad. I assume he's just out of ideas. Maybe he'll think of something in the future and change his mind about retiring >.<

He made two successful manga series. He earned the right to rest
I wasn't saying he doesn't have the "right" to rest. That's an extremely weird and rude way to twist someone's words. What I said was my HOPES and you went and made it into something negative and made me sound entitled. I was just hoping he comes up with more fun ideas and changes his mind because I enjoy his work.
I never said that you did, you're misinterpreting what I meant, I meant as I don't see him making a comeback since his announcement that he's retiring from manga but he's earned it after doing two successful series
Megiddo

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2020 9:04 am Reply with quote
Animeking1108 wrote:
Megiddo wrote:
This is the guy who has alleged that his ideas were taken to make Promare, right?

If he did, that's low considering Fire Force was pretty much Blue Exorcist with fire fighters.

Yeah, had to go and search for it a bit, but it does appear to be the case.

animenewsnetwork.com/interest/2019-06-13/fire-force-creator-atsushi-ohkubo-alludes-to-his-work-being-stolen/.147773

Odd that this wasn't mentioned in the article at all, as no doubt this at least played some small part into the decision to retire.
ajr

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2020 8:12 pm Reply with quote
Well, generally someone who goes from drawing dozens-to-hundreds of pictures every month doesn’t completely stop. It’s fine if he does, but I definitely thought Soul Eater had a lot of style, so I’ll look forward to any works he does (manga or not) after this.
Wyvern

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2020 2:32 am Reply with quote
ajr wrote:
Well, generally someone who goes from drawing dozens-to-hundreds of pictures every month doesn’t completely stop. It’s fine if he does, but I definitely thought Soul Eater had a lot of style, so I’ll look forward to any works he does (manga or not) after this.

Maybe he just wants to transition to a different kind of illustration? He's been drawing manga since 2001, mostly weekly series, even at one point doing two series at once. I can see him getting burned out and wanting to switch mediums.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2