• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Aniplex of America Revises Translation Error in Kaguya-sama: Love is War Season 2 Episode

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
luisedgarf

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2020 12:46 pm Reply with quote
Shar Aznabull wrote:

This is getting off-topic but the House in Fata Morgana localization makes perfect sense, it's specifically supposed to be an insult from one character to another and not a typical use of the word "tsundere", leaving it as is would confuse people who only know it as a character trope (as it clearly did). It works perfectly within the context of the game which is why nobody who actually played the VN in the four years since its released has complained about it and it only raised a fuss when it was taken entirely out of context. Even the creator and writer of the original, who is bilingual, agreed with the localization.

And that without going into the fact none of the character involved in that scene are Japanese to begin with.
Horsefellow

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2020 3:20 pm Reply with quote
Shar Aznabull wrote:
Even the creator and writer of the original, who is bilingual, agreed with the localization.

So did the creators of all the anime that was heavily censored and localized back in the 80s and 90s. The original company standing by something doesn't make it correct, especially if it's motivated by business and marketing a product in another market so they have to stand behind their financial investment.

It's pretty common to see people being all for "creative" translations until it happens to something they find wrong. I wonder how many people defending social distancing or male ego things get up in arms themselves when it's a translation they don't approve of. It happens all the time when it comes to certain Japanese words like okama or otokonoko being translated in ways that get some people upset.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2020 3:51 pm Reply with quote
Horsefellow wrote:

So did the creators of all the anime that was heavily censored and localized back in the 80s and 90s. The original company standing by something doesn't make it correct, especially if it's motivated by business and marketing a product in another market so they have to stand behind their financial investment.

You're really comparing a minor nuanced translation of one line to dubs like Robotech and Voltron? Maybe just learn Japanese yourself if you don't like the way professionals are doing it.
theNightster

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2020 11:51 pm Reply with quote
I thought that was more of a Funimation doing then an Aniplex one
Rentwo

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2020 1:07 am Reply with quote
theNightster wrote:
I thought that was more of a Funimation doing then an Aniplex one

Sony consolidated Funimation and Aniplex together last year so they're more or less the same company these days.
jeffcoatstephen

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2020 9:51 am Reply with quote
I think the error fits perfectly. Nothing wrong with it. Not all translation have to be 100% right now.
yeehaw

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2020 6:58 pm Reply with quote
Good. It was bad and groan worthy, and in my opinion has already aged badly. I know several people who has not been able to be at their loved ones side as they die from old age and illness.
And as someone who's aiming to be a translator this is bad because it takes the focus of the actual situation in the show and suddenly hits you with a completely unrelated "joke".
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3