• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Anime Directors Tsutomu Mizushima, Seiji Mizushima Profess Support for Hong Kong Democracy

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RealMTL

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2020 6:47 pm Reply with quote
Omg, I hope the anime doesn't get banned in China now...
cookiemanstah

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2020 7:13 pm Reply with quote
CCP is pure evil and in power so I don't know what these admittedly noble efforts are really for. Talking about a conspiracy that uses intimidation and murder to get what they want so if they decide to end your career for going against them (see Blizzard) it'll just happen
Engineering Nerd

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2020 7:35 pm Reply with quote
Before praising Mizushima’s “bravery” for voicing his political opinion, I really think we need to know some background of “why” he voiced those remarks in the first place (which I was shocked that the article did not mention)

Basically Tsutomu Mizushima had some really intense twitter arguments with some Japanese twitter netizens over “Abe’s new act that relates to Covid-19” (which is why he said he felt “repressed of voicing his political opinions” because he heavily disagrees with Abe). Some Japanese netizens criticizes him that he is a coward who only dares to challenge domestic political figures, some even calls him “betcha you don’t have balls to criticize mainland China who is a big market player of Japanese animation”

Tsutomu got really pissed and start demonstrating he does have courage to criticize China for whatever ( interestingly, he knows exactly the most sensitive issues that can tickle Mainland Chinese) From HK to the certain bear lol....

And of course, that spat got many people interested and involved, including many HK followers, which is why Tsutomu made the above statement.

No, anime is not gonna get banned in mainland China, after knowing what got him to say those statements in the first place, most Chinese netizens I see were pretty apathetic about it

Last edited by Engineering Nerd on Mon May 18, 2020 7:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2020 7:43 pm Reply with quote
At worst, the two directors’ anime will be added to the list of anime banned in China, if they weren’t there already for other reasons. China has bigger concerns right now, namely responding to criticism of its response to the coronavirus.
cookiemanstah

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2020 7:46 pm Reply with quote
Engineering Nerd wrote:

Basically Tsutomu Mizushima had some really intense twitter arguments with some Japanese twitter netizens over “Abe’s new act that relates to Covid-19” (which is why he said he felt “repressed of voicing his political opinions” because he heavily disagrees Abe). Some Japanese netizens criticizes him that he is a coward who only dares to challenge domestic political figures, some even calls him “betcha you don’t have balls to criticize mainland China who is a big market player of Japanese animation”

Shinzo Abe is an ultranationalist maniac that has internally divided Japan. Not to say he doesn't have supporters but speaking out against him is seen as heroic in many circles of Japan
harminia

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2020 7:51 pm Reply with quote
Pretty bold moves...

is it a coincidence it's two Mizushima's?
Engineering Nerd

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2020 7:57 pm Reply with quote
harminia wrote:
Pretty bold moves...

is it a coincidence it's two Mizushima's?

It’s not really about bravery of voicing opinions but something pretty complicated (please refer to my post)

No, not a coincidence, the two Mizushima were really close friends for decades, and they helped each other a lot when one they become directors too, also voicing support for each other on social media as well
mrsatan

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2020 8:26 pm Reply with quote
Good for them! I hope they aren't made to kowtow to the CCP.
D.E.D.E

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2020 9:03 pm Reply with quote
zrnzle500 wrote:
At worst, the two directors’ anime will be added to the list of anime banned in China, if they weren’t there already for other reasons. China has bigger concerns right now, namely responding to criticism of its response to the coronavirus.

This^ I doubt they’ll give a damn about the situation given the current crisis the world is going through right now, and the hot water they managed to land themselves in as a result of it.
Kougeru

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2020 9:47 pm Reply with quote
#810704 wrote:
zrnzle500 wrote:

This^ I doubt they’ll give a damn about the situation given the current crisis the world is going through right now, and the hot water they managed to land themselves in as a result of it.

There's not much "hot water". Scientists have already said the virus is natural. Even if China covered things up, we (the US) knew about hte virus in freaking November so and the other powers can't really blame them for this. Given how the virus spreads, it's unlikely China could've even stopped it from spreading.
#Satou

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2020 9:53 pm Reply with quote
Engineering Nerd wrote:
Before praising Mizushima’s “bravery” for voicing his political opinion, I really think we need to know some background of “why” he voiced those remarks in the first place (which I was shocked that the article did not mention)

Basically Tsutomu Mizushima had some really intense twitter arguments with some Japanese twitter netizens over “Abe’s new act that relates to Covid-19” (which is why he said he felt “repressed of voicing his political opinions” because he heavily disagrees with Abe). Some Japanese netizens criticizes him that he is a coward who only dares to challenge domestic political figures, some even calls him “betcha you don’t have balls to criticize mainland China who is a big market player of Japanese animation”

Tsutomu got really pissed and start demonstrating he does have courage to criticize China for whatever ( interestingly, he knows exactly the most sensitive issues that can tickle Mainland Chinese) From HK to the certain bear lol....

And of course, that spat got many people interested and involved, including many HK followers, which is why Tsutomu made the above statement.

No, anime is not gonna get banned in mainland China, after knowing what got him to say those statements in the first place, most Chinese netizens I see were pretty apathetic about it

That only demonstrate his immature behavior just like a lot of kids in the internet in japan that almost always spend time in 2chan twitter and youtube but never have the real balls to discuss the proper way with another person, like "It's so cute to be told 'I won't watch your anime anymore.' I love it."... he obviously have experience hating china and korea and that is why you can't even get to oppose against Abe(how many times people fail trying to get down abe like those University students and big celebrities? of course many will says because Abe have the old people in his pocket but they don't even get the young people to their side because they just have empty words in twitter but not real plans to go against Abe)

Get ban not but saying things like that just because is a stupid move for many japanese that don't care about being the cool guy in twitter and just have to do their job and maybe improve the lives of their animators, of course even if anime from him get boycotted he will don't give two shits but he also seems don't care about how the relations with others could be affected... But hell with that!!! Support hong kong right now and get the most likes, upvotes and followers is the way to go.
trash abe right now is like a bonus.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2020 10:35 pm Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
#810704 wrote:

There's not much "hot water". Scientists have already said the virus is natural. Even if China covered things up, we (the US) knew about hte virus in freaking November so and the other powers can't really blame them for this. Given how the virus spreads, it's unlikely China could've even stopped it from spreading.

They could have locked down sooner, before travel related to New Year’s celebrations spread the virus, both within the country and around the world, potentially limiting the crisis to China, or at least slowed it down early. That doesn’t excuse other countries’ responses, of course, but it doesn’t mean they are in the clear either. Countries have also been taken aback by the hostile way they have responded to criticism of their response, and how they respond to how poorer countries whom they gave loans that those countries can no longer afford to pay due to the economic fallout of the crisis will affect their standing in the world. While some criticism is intended to deflect for other countries’ poor response to the crisis and is based on conspiracies unfounded by the science, they are indeed in hot water, though further investigation will determine to what extent they bear responsibility for the current crisis.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2020 10:45 pm Reply with quote
Heh, now there's a hot take. Laughing
NiPah
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2020 10:58 pm Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
#810704 wrote:
zrnzle500 wrote:

The main concerns the world has with China is the validity of the numbers they gave, and the evidence they silenced/arrested doctors who were saying how dangerous the virus was which resulted in lack of preparedness in other countries. There’s also evidence that they covered up the dangers while mass purchasing PPE which meant when the virus inevitably spread outside of China the international stockpiles were depleted.
ErikaD.D

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2020 12:05 am Reply with quote
cookiemanstah wrote:
CCP is pure evil and in power so I don't know what these admittedly noble efforts are really for. Talking about a conspiracy that uses intimidation and murder to get what they want so if they decide to end your career for going against them (see Blizzard) it'll just happen

CCP is bad as The Kremlin. China, like Russia -- are hiding, denying and lying.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2