• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: My Next Life as a Villainess: All Routes Lead to Doom!

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
meiam

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2020 4:06 pm Reply with quote
Sasaki resurrection is kinda sad, either she also died very young, or in her entire life (60+ years) she never met anyone who meant more to her than her friend she met for like 1 year maybe.
Seagloom

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2020 5:10 pm Reply with quote
PonSquared wrote:
I wish someone who liked the show was reviewing it. This episode was sad and funny.

He seems to like it well enough going by the previous six episode reviews. Personally, I agree with him that it was a weaker episode. And I'm a mega-fan of this series that keeps up with the novels, both manga, and preordered a fair bit of the recent merch.

The first part was excellent but the entire dungeon exam was mediocre. Not actively bad but lacking a spark to keep it interesting. All the harem gags were a rehash of what we saw last week except this time they lacked punch. For example, Keith and Gerald's low key bickering was funnier last week because of the absurdity of Keith tracking down their carriage on foot. They didn't even take advantage of Maria and Mary ending up in the same group. Instead it's a repeat of Mary's dynamic with Alan.

If it wasn't for Acchan's story I would've rated this episode two stars.
michizure

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2020 5:46 pm Reply with quote
Yuvelir wrote:
Maybe she isn't credited but it doesn't take great ears to recognize Minase Inori.

Oh, no doubt. I just find it remarkable that they still haven't been explicit about it, especially given the evident glee with which they credited the entire Catarina Council from the first.
ZeroWX

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2020 2:10 am Reply with quote
This week's episode looks like a filler but in reality is used to foreshadow a lot of the things that in the future will be really important, the memorys of Sophia are one thing, but the dungeon also foreshadows three things, one spoiler[someone is actually trying to hurt Catarina directly, she didn't fall because of a coincidence, if was provoked by the true villain of the story, Sirius Dike], two spoiler[he did it using dark magic, which is one of the rarest forms of magic, magic elements are fire, water, wind, earth and the rare light, but exists a 6 type of magic, dark, which is very dangerous] and three spoiler[that Catarina has an extra type of magic affinity in light, since she could see the dark clouds that formed around her, dark magic is rare because you normally can't see it, the only ones that can see it are light magic users (notice how Maria was the only one that also saw the clouds)]
reaslin

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2020 5:43 am Reply with quote
The Acchan story was as it should be, but the dungeon crawl felt unnecessary, especially considering that it is not in the book.

Also, I was a bit annoyed by the mushroom hunt. Katarina is dense as a brick when it comes to the feelings others have for her, but she is not a moron. I mean, she has been growing food since she was a kid. She would know that there are things that you eat and things you do not.

Last edited by reaslin on Tue May 19, 2020 6:50 am; edited 1 time in total
James_Beckett
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2020 11:04 pm Reply with quote
reaslin wrote:

Also, I was a bit annoyed by the mushroom hunt. Katarina is dense as a brick when it comes to the feelings others have for her, but she is not a moron. I mean, she has been growing food since she was a kid. She would now that there are things that you eat and things you do not.

This is a very good point!
reaslin

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2020 12:56 am Reply with quote
Now it occurs to me that Katarina does get food poisoning from a mushroom growing in the garden in the first book, having claimed it was "absolutely edible." Smile

I still feel that her behaviour in the dungeon is stupider than warranted by her character.
M. Northstar

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2020 3:37 pm Reply with quote
michizure wrote:
Perhaps someone who is familiar with the Final Fantasy franchise can comment on whether this is an allusion to Milidiana Weistland, who appears in FF XIV? That character is the only other "Milidiana" I have found. Otherwise, it amuses me to think of it as a reference to Meridiana, the succubus who (according to one story) made Gerbert d"Aurilac into Pope Sylvester II with her advice.

Meridiana definitely sounds more like something a parent would actually name their child. Actually it suits her perfectly. I vote for it. The FF character is probably the same, just with weird Japanese transliteration.
meiam

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 7:11 pm Reply with quote
Two episode in a row where the show is just spinning it's wheel, sigh... Sadly that come with the trapping of the harem genre, it can't really focus on a subset of character since it has to developed the entire cast at the same rate, or else leave behind some character (and potentially any watcher who were hoping for one of the left behind). But boy... are we juts going to have filler for the rest of the season, with nothing changing?
Yuvelir

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 8:41 pm Reply with quote
Mary's reaction game was on point if anything.

Quote:
Nicol can actually take advantage of his Devilish Count alter-ego, mesmerizing his female pursuers while he flees with Catarina along canals and across rooftops, dropping sexy one-liners that make you believe that Catarina could actually fall for someone like him.

Female and male pursuers. He also got a mixed (imaginary) harem.
Neko-sensei

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 9:03 pm Reply with quote
Yay, I finally get to make my favorite complaint!

Sniiiiiifffff Looks like the reviewer can't be bothered to watch post-credits sequences.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 11:22 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, that does seem to be a rather glaring omission in the Best Boy race, especially given that it wasn't imaginary like the happenings in the book. He was making more time there than anyone else so far!
Takkun4343

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2020 8:08 am Reply with quote
Neko-sensei wrote:
Yay, I finally get to make my favorite complaint!

Sniiiiiifffff Looks like the reviewer can't be bothered to watch post-credits sequences.

Between this and TWIA falsely claiming Sato's co-worker having a crush on her in Happy Sugar Life had no foreshadowing (despite the previous episode's stinger showing so), that does appear to be a problem with ANN staff. But while I can sorta forgive it in Nick and Micchy's case, it's weird for James to apparently oversee something like this.
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2020 9:07 am Reply with quote
• Can anyone at all tell me what the point of Sirius Dieke is?

If you played true love story which is a classic VN you should know the concept of spoiler[hidden routes]
reaslin

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2020 9:41 am Reply with quote
maximilianjenus wrote:
• Can anyone at all tell me what the point of Sirius Dieke is?

If you played true love story which is a classic VN you should know the concept of spoiler[hidden routes]

Still, I wonder why they give us another filler episode when there is a story to be told based on the books with an important part to play for Sirius Dieke.

One possibility is that they have rushed too fast to get to this point, assuming that the anime will cover the first two novels. In my opinion they needn't have hurried so much to get to the time skip, but perhaps it was necessary to cover a lot of ground in the first episode.

Last edited by reaslin on Wed May 27, 2020 12:26 am; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 5 of 9