• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Princess Connect! Re:Dive

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lin Liren

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 10:53 pm Reply with quote
Comparing this adaptation (the game of which I've been playing for a Year now Wink ) to Konosuba, I noticed these common motifs with Director Kanasaki Takaomi so far:

1) Inappropriate fan-service and exaggeration of attractive anatomy, even if it distracts from the scene and even if the source-material character is not explicitly designed to be "sexy."

2A) Biting Bugs-Bunny meets Monty Python style slapstick humor...
2B) ...punctuated by "wildface" bouts of hilarious anger (Aqua and Kale)

3) The *exact* same set thugs/bandits from Konosuba (especially the movie) with unchanged character designs, and the screaming bozoku/hooligan behavior intact too.

4) Four weirdos forced by circumstance to share a house, but end up becoming a family (Except the "Gourmet Guild" is actually a sweet, adorable and loving family compared to the mean-spirited and selfish-jackasses of Kazuma's party)

5) Consistently Drop Dead Gorgeous Cinematic Quality Animation during the "Epic Giant Monster Boss Fights", with water smooth fluid camera-movement and spectacular explosions.

6) Most of all, both adaptations feature heartwarming ending songs about coming home after a long hard day of work to have dinner with your family, sung by the three leading ladies of their respective shows. (Probably to cater to the stressed/angry Office Worker crowd who finally get to come home at midnight to watch anime after working overtime. Smile :p <3 )

And it goes without saying, both Animes are gut bustingly hilarious, with "Princess Connect" being much more heartwarming and adorable than the thoroughly cynical "Konosuba."

In any case, the "metaplot" of the Game has not even started in this so far entertaining adaptation: Hopefully it is successful/popular enough by the run of this First Cour to have a second season to properly do the Epic Storyline justice. Smile Cool
michizure

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 11:09 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
“How crazy is that” count for the week: 0!

But we did get a "yabai"-check from Karyl.
CrypticPurpose

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2020 7:50 am Reply with quote
As someone who hasn't played (or has any knowledge of) the game, so far, while certainly not one of the greats, the series has been surprisingly watchable. While I doubt we'll see any real character development or significant plot advancement in this cour, it seems to work pretty well as a goofy semi-episodic series, and I'll be happy if they just keep doing what they've done so far. Also, Kokkoro is beyond adorable, I want one!
jr240483

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2020 6:09 pm Reply with quote
well at least their not using the series the only promote the more popular characters ala granblue fantasy!!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
WANNFH

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2020 5:11 pm Reply with quote
jr240483 wrote:
well at least their not using the series the only promote the more popular characters ala granblue fantasy!!!
If you think that the main story characters in GBF are actually winning in any popularity poll, I have bad news for you. Actually, Priconne catering with fanservice to the game players with its ensemble cast and one-episode-characters even more than GBF anime did (though, the main trio in Priconne is popular by themselves).

Though it's kinda funny how the series with outright direction copying of the Konosuba formula actually works better than I even thought with Priconne recognition on the West, let alone of being enjoyable.
Northlander

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2020 7:04 pm Reply with quote
While yes, Pecorine might be "honestly" crying when Karyl doesn't want to go with her to wherever, crying when you don't get what you want -- even more so when someone doesn't want to do what said crying person wants them to -- is still highly manipulative. And the reason for that, at least in this episode, is the expression the remaining two characters in the show give Karyl after Pecorine turns on the waterworks.
Yuvelir

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2020 7:54 pm Reply with quote
Sometimes I wish this took Last Period's approach to introducing gacha charas.

michizure wrote:
Quote:
“How crazy is that” count for the week: 0!

But we did get a "yabai"-check from Karyl.

And we also got three Mad, that must account for something.

jr240483 wrote:

Makes me remember how in the KanColle one most of the top characters were passing cameos or barely featured.
Covnam

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2020 5:39 pm Reply with quote
Loved the look & design of that shooting star spell.
Also great contribution by Yuuki: "Not a super power" Laughing
Fuwa_san

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2020 8:44 pm Reply with quote
• Can a white tiger beast-girl and an elf be sisters by blood?
Technically yes, by blood. It's kinda like a spoiler about the world. spoiler[They're trap in a VR game] But let just pretend they are step siblings.

• Why does Rima turn into a “human” in their battle with Christina? Wouldn't her normal body be not only physically stronger but the one she'd be more comfortable fighting in?
Maybe more speed and flexibility over strength. At least, that's how I see it.

• Is it just me, or is everything building to a Christina versus Pecorine fight?
The anime is adapted differently than from the game. It might be possible. However, there are still many characters they have yet to introduce.

• All the revelations about superpowers and magic have me questioning everything we see. Is Hatsune's mind meld a superpower too.
I don't know much about superpowers since I'm not that far into the game. You should have questioned about Christina unusual movement. Is it magic or superpowers?
WANNFH

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2020 9:54 pm Reply with quote
_InuKai_ wrote:
• Can a white tiger beast-girl and an elf be sisters by blood?
Technically yes, by blood. It's kinda like a spoiler about the world. spoiler[They're trap in a VR game] But let just pretend they are step siblings.
The real answer though: they aren't actually a step-siblings, but a real ones. Outside of spoiler[VR shenanigans and implanted fake memories], in game Shiori explain that she with sister born from mixed-race marriage (her mother is elf, and father is beastkin), and because of that she is also ostracized from living in the elves village (in fact, beastkins aren't treated that well by both humans and elves outside of a few people), so that is why she is living in separate guilds with Hatsune.

Quote:
I don't know much about superpowers since I'm not that far into the game. You should have questioned about Christina unusual movement. Is it magic or superpowers?
What separate magic from being esper/having superpowers is the second looks completely natural when used, like Hatsune just flying (but she also use magic in her attacks) - so yeah, Christina's ability is not superpowers, but some kind of displacement magic which allow her to become invulnerable for attacks for a moment.spoiler[And it also comes with the deal that the ESP users like Hatsune are actually have this ability in real life, and they are a complete rarity.]
Juno016

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2020 1:30 pm Reply with quote
Was going to answer some of the questions this week, but I guess I don't have to anymore. I'm definitely intrigued by the unique storyline of the anime. It's a great supplement to the game.
Yuvelir

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2020 4:34 pm Reply with quote
Honestly, I found this episode to be pretty bad. There's just too much stuff going on simultaneously.
The main dish is supposed to be the drama between these sisters that we know fudge all about. Not only do I not care at all about them, their specific paint-by-numbers dilemma has been done better hundreds of times by other series (even with just-introduced characters!), the direction of their scenes and plot was pretty flat, the camera was constantly bouncing between a dozen or so characters and they had to compete for attention with several subplots all relating to the main characters.
Pecorine and Karyl's development was much more engaging not only because we actually know and care about those characters, their scenes had a better flow and more beauty to them. But it was more of a "meanwhile..." aside.

Quote:
• Why does Rima turn into a “human” in their battle with Christina? Wouldn't her normal body be not only physically stronger but the one she'd be more comfortable fighting in?

Stats trump over body builds! And transformations always carry stat increases, so of course the tinier, lankier form will be stronger.
WANNFH

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2020 10:00 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Wait… What do you mean Kokkoro's a kid? I thought she was just an elf and aged slower? How old is she supposed to be?
Without spoil, the answer is - no, it ain't work that way and elves in this world are aging as the same as the other races. And yes - Kokkoro is in a fact a kid who really not that older than the Little Lyrical trio - Kyouka is 8 years old, Misogi is 9, Mimi is 10, Kokkoro is... 11, with that actually raising a question about her absolute devotion and motherly doting to Yuuki as being genuine or actually just playing house with him as a parent because of his current mental state (either way, she is excellent at it).

And by the way - Kyaru in fact is also a teenager who is 14 years old, so she isn't that much older from being a kid either.
WANNFH

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 3:32 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I thought Saren was running an orphanage. What does the beach restaurant or becoming a merchant have to do with that?
The answer is actually pretty obvious — Saren funding the orphanage by herself, so the merchant part is being a necessity to keep it alive.

Quote:
If we hadn't spent so much time with Pecorine, watching her in a swimsuit lift a massive boulder and judo throw a kraken would make me wonder if she's actually lying about her weakness.
While she said that, she also pointed to her crown tiara, which she wears even with a swimsuit — so it's less a lie and more the fact that tiara is also the part of her enchanted armor and the source of her insane strength.
Covnam

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 4:58 pm Reply with quote
Well, can't say i wasn't a bit surprised to see a giant squid show up during a beach episode and not have a bunch of fan service show up too.

Cygames did a great job integrating what I presume is real water on the shore to the animation. Their environment work continues to impress.

Taiyaki is a great snack, but it's not really a meal. You'd think a restaurant would still get some people *shrug*
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3