• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Netflix Streams Cardcaptor Sakura Anime in U.S., Canada on June 1

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wjbraden

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2020 5:29 pm Reply with quote
So many other 90's shows have been redubbed in recent years, why NISA (or whomever else is involved) hasn't commissioned a new dub is beyond me. You'd think since NISA has their little partnership with Funi, they'd want consistency between all parts of the franchise, i.e. the Funi Clear Card cast. And the thing is Netflix probably paid a pretty penny for this, which no doubt could have gone toward funding a redub, so it's a real head scratcher.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2020 5:39 pm Reply with quote
I don't know why people don't seem to understand Netflix can't redub CCS because this isn't Netflix's license, this is NIS's license. Netflix is just streaming it like Funimation is streaming it. NIS likely can't redub this themselves because they're a tiny company who barely releases any new anime at all right now and the returns they would get wouldn't make up for the cost for this.

Quote:
And the thing is Netflix probably paid a pretty penny for this, which no doubt could have gone toward funding a redub, so it's a real head scratcher.
It probably didn't cost them anymore than any other show they stream that's licensed by another company like all those Sentai shows they've been adding. I would love a new CCS redub but I'm not sure why fans seem to think Netflix owes it to them or something. Netflix doesn't own CCS.
wjbraden

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2020 5:55 pm Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:

It probably didn't cost them anymore than any other show they stream that's licensed by another company like all those Sentai shows they've been adding. I would love a new CCS redub but I'm not sure why fans seem to think Netflix owes it to them or something. Netflix doesn't own CCS.

CS is a pretty popular title internationally, so I wouldn't underestimate it's price tag. And I'm aware of the licensing situation, it's just that the Animax dub is of such poor quality that it will likely drive new viewers away. But it wouldn't be the first time Netflix has streamed crappy dubs, I guess. Remember the first AICO dub that went over like a lead balloon?
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2020 6:15 pm Reply with quote
Again Netflix didn’t buy CCS. NIS already owned it. Netflix sub licensed it from NIS. It wasn’t anymore expensive than it was for Crunchyroll or Funimation.
chrisb
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2020 6:16 pm Reply with quote
PurpleWarrior13 wrote:
^ On the boxsets, they play silent with English subtitles...

I randomly watched the dubbed episode where spoiler[Yukito admits to Sakura that he likes her brother.] There was nothing cut from the scene and it was fully voiced. From what I can recall it was the most up front relationship other than Sakura’s.

What other gay scenes were there to cut?!

Will Netflix be including any other language options? Would be great to watch an official version of the Spanish dub.
Pepperidge

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2020 6:32 pm Reply with quote
Blanchimont wrote:
Rosiero wrote:
How is this gonna work with the parts that were cut from the Animax dub?

What parts were cut? The Animax dub covers the entire unedited 70-episode run, unlike the Nelvana dub for the US run.

Nelvana dubbed all 70 episodes. Kids WB just skipped a bunch of them in the US specifically.
F302 Pilot

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2020 7:55 pm Reply with quote
PurpleWarrior13 wrote:
^ On the boxsets, they play silent with English subtitles. I guess the same will happen here?

Anyway, it's really odd that the Animax dub is being used so much for this. It's a very cheap production from Hong Kong with like eight voice actors. It's a lot better than you would expect, but the show really needs a proper redub.

I'm about 20 episodes into CCS I'm digging the Animax dub,i have never watch the edited dub, this show does not need a new dub!
Silver Kirin

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2020 8:32 pm Reply with quote
So the series will be available only in the U.S. and Canada? I was hoping that Netflix could have acquired the rights for other regions as well, kinda like they did with the original Saint Seiya. Earlier this year Kero's latin american voice actor mentioned that he was re-recording dialog for some episodes and they were adapting some openings and endings (only the first ed and op were adapted into latin spanish), the Clear Card series was also announced to be dubbed into spanish and a video with Sakura's original voice actress was released but the series hasn't been aired in any form yet.
By the way, since I'm not a native english speaker, can someone tell me the difference between the Animax and Nelvana dubs? I heard that the Nelvana version was like a 4Kids style dub with many name changes and alterations, but I haven't heard anything about the Animax version.
Cutiebunny

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2020 9:39 pm Reply with quote
chrisb wrote:
What other gay scenes were there to cut?!

Episode 65 is perhaps the most obvious, especially the 'power transfer' scene. Episode 66, which you pointed out, has Yukito mention that he has someone else that he truly loves. And then there's episode 70, where Eriol tells Sakura that he knew how everything would turn out, with one glaring exception - Who Yukito would love.

For a series aimed at younger girls, there was quite a bit of content, such as the amount of romantic relationships between adults and minors, that might not have been appropriate. I thought CCS handled Yukito and Touya's relationship well considering its audience.

Anyways, I'm looking forward to the good Cardcaptor Sakura episodes being available to watch on Netflix, though I will be watching the sub instead. I don't like Clear Card, particularly the character designs, and really hope there isn't a second season of it unless they're gonna bring Sugar High Suppi back.
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2020 11:08 pm Reply with quote
F302 Pilot wrote:
I'm about 20 episodes into CCS I'm digging the Animax dub,i have never watch the edited dub, this show does not need a new dub!

The dub is definitely watchable, but it’s a very cheap production that isn’t as good as most dubs made today. I do love Andrea Kwan as Sakura. She might even be my favorite English voice for the character.

Silver Kirin wrote:
By the way, since I'm not a native english speaker, can someone tell me the difference between the Animax and Nelvana dubs? I heard that the Nelvana version was like a 4Kids style dub with many name changes and alterations, but I haven't heard anything about the Animax version.

The Nelvana dub was recorded in Vancouver, Canada by Ocean Studios, and covered the entire series, plus the first movie. It was edited and used American names, but it did cover all 70 episodes. When it was shown in the US on KidsWB, it was cut down to only 39 episodes, but was otherwise the same dub. The Animax dub was recorded by Omni Productions in Hong Kong, using native English-speaking voice actors from the US, Canada (Andrea Kwan is Canadian), and Scotland. It’s 99% uncut, but a couple brief scenes were cut. All the original names are used (albeit with poor pronunciation), and the script is faithful. It’s the dub on the DVDs and Blu-rays, and has been the only one legally available for the last few years.

Geneon also dubbed the second movie in Los Angeles with Bang Zoom, using a whole different cast, but that’s a very faithful production. FUNimation’s dub of Clear Card is also faithful.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2020 2:00 am Reply with quote
PurpleWarrior13 wrote:

The dub is definitely watchable, but it’s a very cheap production that isn’t as good as most dubs made today. I do love Andrea Kwan as Sakura. She might even be my favorite English voice for the character.

The Animax dub VA for Yukito is probably the closest that's come to matching Megumi Ogata. All the other ones make him sound too masculine to me. Of the main cast, the ones that make me cringe the most are Syaoran and Meiling, but everyone else is generally fine.
AkumaChef

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2020 1:40 pm Reply with quote
FireChick wrote:
darkchibi07 wrote:
Takkun4343 wrote:
>the Animax dub
Netflix what the heck are you doin.

I guess redubbing all 70 episodes is too much of them which is a bummer.

That didn't stop Netflix from dubbing nearly 120 episodes of Saint Seiya. If they can do that, then they can surely dub CCS! The Animax dub has its own problems. I want to be happy about this, and on some level, I am. I've been wanting an excuse to rewatch CCS for a while now. But this show NEEDS a dub that'll do it justice! Both uncut and with great voice acting!

I assume the reasoning is purely financial. It's very very expensive to dub 70 episodes, so why pay to do that when you can license an existing dub for a lot less?
As for Saint Seiya, there was no complete English dub available for Netflix to license, so they had no choice but to do it themselves, and they likely had a lot of room in their budget because Saint Seiya is an older, not as well known title compared to the much more popular and well known CCS. I think that Netflix likely didn't have to pay much for the rights to Saint Seiya so they had room in the budget to dub it, but that just didn't make sense for them for CCS.
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2020 3:26 pm Reply with quote
The Animax dub is straight garbage!
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2020 7:37 pm Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
The Animax dub VA for Yukito is probably the closest that's come to matching Megumi Ogata.

That would be Candice Moore. She was also Kurama in the Animax dub of Yu Yu Hakusho, as well as Kyu Renjo in Tantei Gakuen Q; both characters played by Megumi Ogata in Japanese.
FlamingFirewire

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2020 10:23 pm Reply with quote
Nice! Awesome to see the original series get a release on Netflix. Unless there's another title I'm not aware of, this must be the most exposure and re-releases an Animax dub has ever seen. Regardless of overall quality, that's pretty amazing in and of itself.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3