• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Fate/kaleid liner Prisma Illya Anime Gets New Theatrical Film

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Amy192

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2020 11:55 pm Reply with quote
I need to go rewatch this series
Yune Amagiri

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 12:00 am Reply with quote
Nice, this new came sooner than i expected, most likely dated for summer 2021. Can't wait for ChouCho and/or fhána next song.
cookiemanstah

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 12:00 am Reply with quote
this is one of those anime series that's hard to put it into words.

It's one of those properties that have a lot of A-Grade work put into it from a passionate standpoint. It's genuinely great when it wants to be and has its moments that somewhat puts it on ufotable's league.

But DAMN is it overshadowed by its negative reputation or what?!
Actar

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 12:54 am Reply with quote
cookiemanstah wrote:

Negative reputation? That's the first time I've heard anything about since it started airing.
Ermat_46

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 12:57 am Reply with quote
Actar wrote:
cookiemanstah wrote:

Negative reputation? That's the first time I've heard anything about since it started airing.

People are calling it pedophilia anime or something...
Catsplay

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 1:47 am Reply with quote
My all time favorite fate series (Basically because Illya is my favorite F/SN character) so I'm really happy to finally see the anime adaptation continue even if it's not a full new season (considering how slow the manga releases it makes sense to do a movie when the manga looks to be near the end of the current arc). Seeing the Illya Vs. Beatrice fight animated is pretty much what I've been dying to see since that fight is so god damn good in the manga. ALSO Illya's full Saber install is gorgeous and I love that it still keeps the pink color scheme that the Lily version had.
Catsplay

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 1:58 am Reply with quote
Ermat_46 wrote:
Actar wrote:
cookiemanstah wrote:

People are calling it pedophilia anime or something...

I mean yeah the series does have loli fanservice, that's pretty much one of the selling points even if it's not the main focus. Luckily most of the fanservice is regulated to OVAs and Specials later on while the main plotline tends to keep things seriously especially in 3rei so everyone wins in that regard (the people that like the fanservice still get it and the people that just want to watch it for the Fate battles can just focus on the main plot). Honestly if it wasn't for things like the Prisma Illya merchandise, artbooks, and the alarm apps the series wouldn't have made much money compared to other Fate series the last few years.
DavetheUsher

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 2:22 am Reply with quote
Catsplay wrote:
I mean yeah the series does have loli fanservice, that's pretty much one of the selling points even if it's not the main focus. Luckily most of the fanservice is regulated to OVAs and Specials later on while the main plotline tends to keep things seriously especially in 3rei so everyone wins in that regard (the people that like the fanservice still get it and the people that just want to watch it for the Fate battles can just focus on the main plot). Honestly if it wasn't for things like the Prisma Illya merchandise, artbooks, and the alarm apps the series wouldn't have made much money compared to other Fate series the last few years.

Yeah, Prisma Illya is insanely popular and marketable, but there's a vocal minority group who absolutely hate it for all the loli stuff. That stutf is still a stickler for some western fans.
cookiemanstah

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 2:50 am Reply with quote
[quote="Catsplay"][quote="Ermat_46"][quote="Actar"]
cookiemanstah wrote:
I mean yeah the series does have loli fanservice, that's pretty much one of the selling points even if it's not the main focus. Luckily most of the fanservice is regulated to OVAs and Specials later on while the main plotline tends to keep things seriously especially in 3rei so everyone wins in that regard (the people that like the fanservice still get it and the people that just want to watch it for the Fate battles can just focus on the main plot).

thing about prisma illya is it is so freaking erotic with its fanservice that i've known people not that squeamish about this stuff get rather irritated with that overlap on the cool stuff
Catsplay

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 4:10 am Reply with quote
DavetheUsher wrote:
Catsplay wrote:

Yeah, Prisma Illya is insanely popular and marketable, but there's a vocal minority group who absolutely hate it for all the loli stuff. That stutf is still a stickler for some western fans.

Honestly until like a few years ago I had no idea how popular Prisma Illya really was until I started seeing how much it's merchandise sold extremely well and how much promotional content it gets even when the anime wasn't airing. A minority definitely don't enjoy it (because of the loli elements) but I feel like in recent years the overall reception of the series has been super positive. There was a point where people tried saying the series wasn't canon to the Nasuverse or a legit entry in the Fate franchise but considering it's inclusion in Fate/Grand Order and stuff like the Oath Under Snow movie/arc we've long moved past those days. I'm just happy my favorite badass loli series continues doing really well!
7jaws7

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 5:15 am Reply with quote
That key visual is so freakin' badass for a magical girl show!
WANNFH

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 5:31 am Reply with quote
Well, it's good to see the continuation of Prillya in the anime, but now I can only think if it will be actually the abrupt ending of the series or Silver Link allow them to be original.

The reason for that is the current arc of 3rei, which gonna be adapted, is dragged for years with the progression of a snail because of not exactly known reasons (most common state is Hiroyama still having a serious health issues, which affected his ability to draw), and in fact still not even have a proper place to put an end to it, and probably not even end in the next year despite the finale outcome is basically there and written.
Catsplay

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 7:51 am Reply with quote
WANNFH wrote:
Well, it's good to see the continuation of Prillya in the anime, but now I can only think if it will be actually the abrupt ending of the series or Silver Link allow them to be original.

The reason for that is the current arc of 3rei, which gonna be adapted, is dragged for years with the progression of a snail because of not exactly known reasons (most common state is Hiroyama still having a serious health issues, which affected his ability to draw), and in fact still not even have a proper place to put an end to it, and probably not even end in the next year despite the finale outcome is basically there and written.

The visual shows it's going to cover up to the end of the battle that just ended in the manga so they have an actual stopping place for the movie. The 3rei manga is most likely honestly just chapters away from ending now that the battle is over (Though I think we're getting a direct sequel with 4ier).
Catsplay

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 7:53 am Reply with quote
7jaws7 wrote:
That key visual is so freakin' badass for a magical girl show!

It's more a pure Fate series at this point then magical girl to be fair. The whole magical girl cliches were abandoned after season 1 and the only element that's magical girl is Illya's powerset (which is constantly overshadowed by the Heroic Spirit Install system). I do agree that the visual is badass though and it really captures Illya at her best.
Calsolum

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 8:22 pm Reply with quote
You really can't fault(some) people for not liking the series, especially if their exposure to it was the first few episodes of season one.

Initially, I watched it solely because it was an animated fate series but after spoiler[that encounter with the card version of SAlter] that's when I knew this was a serious story, despite its misleading cover.

I am stoked that they got a film, hopefully they go the extra mile and give us longer fight scenes. Not sure how much content this movie will cover but I especially want to see spoiler[Sakuralot ] animated after that small scene in season 3.

No matter how the series ends I'm rooting for Illya to brute force her way into a happy ending for everyone. In a twist of fate, Illya might be the only member of the Emiya family who fulfils their shared 'wish' albeit as a magical girl instead of a hero of justice.
Also I swear if by the end of the series spoiler[Miyu has to leave her brother behind in her original world ]I'll cry.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1