• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Zac Bertschy - In Memoriam

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Koda89

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 8:20 am Reply with quote
This is beyond shocking. I'm still trying to process this and more or less at a complete loss.

I never got the chance to meet Zac personally, but the effect his incredible work had on me and several other people who decided to write about anime is profound.
Sewingrose

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 8:25 am Reply with quote
I'm heartbroken. I listened to ANNcast for years, I would go to their liveshows every year at AX and Zac recognized me. This is going to make it so hard to revisit old episodes now, but I think I'll try listening to some again soon. I followed Zac on twitter and loved hearing his thoughts on the current season and whatever other random stuff he thought. I'm glad he was able to see Keep Your Hands Off Eizouken! which I knew he loved.

This is going to linger with me going forward when I hear about shows I know he would have loved to see.

Edit: You know what, I still haven't gotten around to watching Keep Your Hands Off Eizouken! but I think I'm going to do that this next week in memory of Zac.

Last edited by Sewingrose on Fri May 22, 2020 8:37 am; edited 1 time in total
ResistNormal

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 8:29 am Reply with quote
The loss of a person is something I have never been able to put into words. My condolences sounds so insignificant, but I offer them.

This just sucks.
BigOnAnime
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 8:29 am Reply with quote
I, it's hard to put how I feel into words. I never followed his content too deeply, but I've known about him for as long as I've known about ANN, which I discovered not too long after getting into anime back in November 2008 when I was 14 years old and in the 8th grade. I remember the ANNCasts, his way of doing first impressions in the preview guides.

My condolences.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Animehermit

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 8:30 am Reply with quote
Holy shit i cant. I just...holy shit.

I've listened to the anncast off and on for a decade now. I've grown up reading Zac's writing. What an astounding fundamental loss.

Im still having problems processing it. Holy shit.
Axbox360

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 8:38 am Reply with quote
This is really sad.
Rest In Peace Crying or Very sad
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 8:38 am Reply with quote
Yesterday on Twitter I saw Bamboo post about losing a friend. It didn’t cross my mind it would be someone we all knew.

This is a very sad loss for the anime community. Zac was such a staple of this site. I didn’t always agree with his views but he always left great insight and his reviews were one of a kind. I am so sorry are paths never crossed at a con. Now it’s too late. He will truly be missed.

My condolences to all his friends and loved ones.
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 8:39 am Reply with quote
Wow, such a tragedy. Zac has been a staple since I started coming to ANN. Such sad news. One of the main things I'll remember him for, also mentioned in the article, is his blunt expressions of his opinion. That made for some pure gold preview guide posts.
Spazy Mgee

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 8:40 am Reply with quote
I haven't used this account in years, but I had to say something. During a very rough period of my life when I had a terrible commute, I listened to ANNCast every day. I read everything Zac wrote here, spent a lot of time in the CYS streams, and talked to him regularly on Twitter. Of course I didn't know him personally, but even still this hits so hard. Genuinely difficult to say how much of a loss this is, I'm dumbfounded. Him and Jacob are two of the best anime writers around, can't even imagine what they're all going through right now. Please reach out to your loved ones, please love what you love and who you love without shame or regret. The world is so much lesser for this loss, we'll miss you Zac <3
Lovux

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 8:42 am Reply with quote
He never got to watch the third season of Thunderbolt Fantasy. ;____;

Rest in peace, Zac. Your contrubution to the english-speaking anime community cannot be overstated.
FireChick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 8:42 am Reply with quote
Oh dear. How the hell did this happen? How?! Well, may he rest in peace, and his family and friends have my condolences. Crying or Very sad
penguintruth

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 8:43 am Reply with quote
Wow, this really came out of nowhere. RIP. I didn’t always agree with Zac, but I always appreciated his contribution to the anime community. This is really rough.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Doctorkev

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 8:43 am Reply with quote
What a terrible shock and an awful loss. My condolences to his friends and family. Although I never met him, I will miss him terribly. I listened to ANNcast religiously for about a decade, and read his writing over an even longer period. I’m not normally affected by the loss of media people, but Zac is different. He always seemed honest, and human, and I will miss listening to his opinions that so often either echoed or challenged my own. He inspired me to write about anime myself. RIP Zac. I wish you were still here.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 8:45 am Reply with quote
RIP Zac
MeggieMay

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 8:46 am Reply with quote
Okay this is WTF time Shocked This hasn’t really sunk in yet-he was just posting pics of his cat’s the other day on Twitter. Condolences to everyone at ANN on your loss Sad
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 3 of 20